The new Grado lineup

John E Woven

Thread crap warning.

Though I would really like to hear this new monster, a part of me is way more interested and curious in hearing the senn's HD800. All of Grado's stuff to me seems more like variations on a theme, albeit quite good to amazing sounding variations, whereas the hd800 is at minimum a step in a completely new direction in driver tech, construction, and sound (possibly). And if we haven't already figured it out with cars, ze Germans sure know how to make a quality product vs. the American counterparts. Man I feel kind of dirty saying that since I am pretty much a grado guy, but that's how I feel.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict that as usually happens, some people will prefer the HD800 and some people the PS-1000 and neither side will understand the other.

Ah, the never ending debate between grado vs. sennheiser. However, if the HD800 does indeed have a more lively, dynamic sound, it might cause a shift towards one side.

Do we know whether the PS-1000 will sport a new driver design?

I am sure it is tweaked differently but a completely new driver design is probably unlikely. Zanth would be the one to ask, but he is probably tight lipped since its not released into the wild yet. The gs-1000 drivers look exactly the same as every other grado driver, but they do sound dramatically different, specifically in the bass region. Only exception of course are the hp1000 drivers but last time I talked to Joe he is the sole proprietor of those drivers.

Audio quality aside, I think it's a good move for grado to redesign their low end. I see many a student around campus with SR60's but I know they get shit from other people about how ugly they are. This isn't exactly a fix but it's a good step forward. Hopefully it'll entice more people to finally take the dive.

Audio quality aside, I think it's a good move for grado to redesign their low end. I see many a student around campus with SR60's but I know they get shit from other people about how ugly they are. This isn't exactly a fix but it's a good step forward. Hopefully it'll entice more people to finally take the dive.

Weird, didn't really notice people doing that, on the other hand I didn't see much aside from earbuds/iems on campus. I would personally find it weird, but then...I guess I'd comment on someone wearing headphones I thought were showy in nature w/ no focus on sound quality.