Woo Audio 22

Asr

Mentioned in the NYC 3/21 Meet thread at HF: Woo Audio 22 Fully Balanced Headphone Tube Amplifier

Nice looking amp, I look forward to reading impressions of it. Damn, there's gonna be some really sweet gear at the meet, I envy the NY contingent... :)

Any tube experts' opinions of the tubes used? And why are all these amp vendors coming out with hot new stuff in the current economy? :P

Nice looking amp, I look forward to reading impressions of it. Damn, there's gonna be some really sweet gear at the meet, I envy the NY contingent... :)
You have no idea... ;)

Any tube experts' opinions of the tubes used?

I'm going to try and talk with Jack about it, I have no idea how they're feeding two 6080s with a single 5U4 rectifier unless they're running at really low current levels on the output tubes.

And why are all these amp vendors coming out with hot new stuff in the current economy? :P

Because the development cycle was done now?

*obligitary we need to move to 1x4pinXLR not more 2x3pinXLR fist thumping*

Absolutely agree. I don't understand those that cling to the redundancy of twin plugs when one will do.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of dual volume pots.

Anyone know if it'll have a preamp out as per the WA2?

Anyone know if it'll have a preamp out as per the WA2?

Unless I am completely misunderstanding the circuit that this is at least loosely based around (and granted, that is possible) I would think that this would make a less than ideal preamp. I don't quite get the impedance switch either and am curious to ask a few questions this weekend.

I'm going to try and talk with Jack about it, I have no idea how they're feeding two 6080s with a single 5U4 rectifier unless they're running at really low current levels on the output tubes.

interesting observation. Looking at the curves for 6080, I suppose the question is, what's the voltage sitting on them. Also, perhaps its a new production 5U4 with improved specs? That would kinda bite tube rollers a bit though, so that's probably unlikely...

On the site, he states that he is also moving the XLR jacks each an inch farther from the chode.

It's possible that this might not work well with some dual-XLR plugs that have short cables after the Y-split.

I think the two XLR outputs should be right next to each other, and the control knob to their right side.

Well probably came down to what the new HD800 flagship is.. and it turned out to be dynamic?

Given the impedance curve of the HD800 they may wish that they'd done something else.

And I'm with everyone on the spacing of the jacks potentially creating big problems for users. As it is I bet there are cables that won't work with the amp or will at least be stretched uncomfortably. Add more space to the equation and it could get ugly.

Mentioned in the NYC 3/21 Meet thread at HF: Woo Audio 22 Fully Balanced Headphone Tube Amplifier

Any tube experts' opinions of the tubes used? And why are all these amp vendors coming out with hot new stuff in the current economy? :P

Looks interesting. I sent Jack an email about putting the jacks on the left and volume on the right, and offering a 4-pin XLR as an option, as well as a SE jack to go next to the 4-pin.

I love my maxed WA6 and GES, and would likely buy something like the Woo 22 to replace my Square Wave XL Balanced amp, after the impending fire that I am waiting for any day now...