CanJam 2009 Impressions, Pics, Parties, etc...

Asr

I did not have a problem with them per se, but I did have to question why they had so many monsters present. Since they all had their uniforms on, they were hard to miss. If the intent was to get as many people in the company exposed to headphones and the heaadphone hobby, that is one thing. However, given past history it was more likely with the intent to make their presence as large and noticeable as possible. Did this have a negative impact on other vendors? I don't know, but I will certainly do my best to find out.

But I'm still not letting in any Hutt's.

One of the guys came by my table for a few minutes, tried a pico and gave me his card. "Director of New Technologies" or something like that.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know my biggest concern is simply the fact of an individual on a scooter type vehicle driving around very expensive equipment. I forgot who mentioned that a set of ad2000's were manhandled and dropped due to their carelessness. Who knows what other stuff may have happened that no one happened to see or report on the various threads here and there. As long as that issue can be addressed I guess it ultimately is fine.

As for headphones, I guess I would rather see Bose present at an event like this than Monster, for the reasons that Justin stated (in my humble opinion)

you know it would be interesting to see how much damage 1 person on a rampage could have caused at CanJam before being restrained or running out of energy. dump the table with the 2x ES-2s creating sparks and pops everywhere, smash a few R10s against the wall, and while everyone is in shock you could probably destroy the whole room

I agree, Justin, and I think it would be a mistake to exclude them from the next CanJam. Maybe limit the number of them who get in on each table reserved and set ground rules excluding: (1) giant displays or crap; (2) videotaping/lighting every fucking movement; (3) that really obnoxious guy with the beard; and (4) tell Noel Lee that Segway will be limited to viable areas/rooms.

Hey there Al,

Was the Apple Cinema Display that much of a distraction to you?

I didn't really see any problems with Monster having a bunch of people there, but then again, I didn't spend much time in their room. Tyll was nice enough to give me a chance to hear the HD800 on a number of quite nice systems on Friday night so I had sort of done that and figured I'd let other people have their time with them during the meet.

So aside from there Noel having his little scooter thingie and the fact that there were a lot of Monster reps (who were apparently loud at times, at least according to the guy at Tekzilla), was there any real problem with their presence? I mean, an alternative view could be that Noel saw this as an opportunity to reward his guys with a fun weekend, and to allow them to wander around the place and learn more about other headphones and the hobby in general.

Had Tyll brought a crew of 15 from Headroom, I suspect most people would have been happy to meet them. What I'm trying to understand is whether there was anything in particular about their presence that was a 'bad' thing for the event, aside from the fact that it was Monster and people don't like their approach to business--so basically people were annoyed with it because it was over the top?

If Tyll brought people from Headroom, they would have known how to handle other people's equipment. The biggest part of the horror story is the same as from any meet -- mishandled equipment. Given the precedent set by this guy suing other companies irrespective of whether or not they actually deserve it, in my mind that translates to treating all other non-Monster products the same -- I.E. with disdain. In fact, treating everyone else with disdain.

Having been in a wheelchair for a few months before, I can only tell you how truly horrible it is in so many ways having nothing to do with being physically inconvenienced, though that's sucks too. If I'd had the option of a Segway (not yet invented nor could I have stood up), I would have used it, and all of you be damned.

He may be an ass, but that's a different issue.

I agree. It's terrible to have your mobility taken away, and the Segway is much more dignified and manageable than a wheelchair.

What I'm trying to understand is whether there was anything in particular about their presence that was a 'bad' thing for the event, aside from the fact that it was Monster and people don't like their approach to business...

Given the precedent set by this guy suing other companies irrespective of whether or not they actually deserve it, in my mind that translates to treating all other non-Monster products the same -- I.E. with disdain. In fact, treating everyone else with disdain.

So I guess I have my answer. That's fine.

I was just curious as to whether they really caused any problems at the meet, except for the fact that they showed up in droves.

I know my biggest concern is simply the fact of an individual on a scooter type vehicle driving around very expensive equipment. I forgot who mentioned that a set of ad2000's were manhandled and dropped due to their carelessness. Who knows what other stuff may have happened that no one happened to see or report on the various threads here and there. As long as that issue can be addressed I guess it ultimately is fine.

As for headphones, I guess I would rather see Bose present at an event like this than Monster, for the reasons that Justin stated (in my humble opinion)

I mentioned the careless behavior you speak of a little while back in this thread. The "manhandling" was a pair of Stax Sigmas, which one of the Monster associates was dangling by one cup trying to get a better look. He was also the same one who tripped and yanked a pair of AD2ks on to the floor which startled Stevio.

But regardless, I think its fine that they come to meets and help materialize a widespread awareness of headphones to the average consumer or what not. I think the only problem is the careless attitude I saw when it came to peoples gear. Im sure that many of the Monster associates do not have proper knowledge/understanding of a headphone meet, and thus see gear as being just easily replaceable and ordinary.

These headphone meets began as small, often close knit groups, and the level of trust and care that I see from long time members is quite astonishing. It makes sense as many members have known or seen each other since the beginning. As these meets get larger and larger, there will be more people that won't understand the level of trust and caliber that these meets can furnish.

One downside of these meets getting bigger and bigger is that if people see more incidents of neglect at these meets, less gear might be brought to be shared. Its like bringing a BHSE to a friends house, the gear will be treated nicely and with care in most circumstances. However bring a BHSE to your local Best Buy to have anyone come and listen? Hell no, something will most likely have been mistreated and damaged by then.

I agree. It's terrible to have your mobility taken away, and the Segway is much more dignified and manageable than a wheelchair.

While I agree with the Segway being more convienient for the user. I definately have to disagree with it being more dignified. Although a wheelchair might not be the most dignified thing, I bet a lot less people would have mentioned anything about Noel Lee if it wasn't for that Segway he was on. I mean many people buy them for novelty and they are quite expensive.(anywhere between $5000.00 to $10,000.00 plus)

I don't know about anyone else, but i've seen some Segway security at my local shopping centers, and damn the first thing I think when I see them rolling around in one of those is "how much of a lazy douche do you have to be to roll around in one of those?" But since he is disabled, the lazy part is not applicable, but the latter part still remains.

One downside of these meets getting bigger and bigger is that if people see more incidents of neglect at these meets, less gear might be brought to be shared. Its like bringing a BHSE to a friends house, the gear will be treated nicely and with care in most circumstances. However bring a BHSE to your local Best Buy to have anyone come and listen? Hell no, something will most likely have been mistreated and damaged by then.

OT, but I wouldn't even plug my ipod in at a Best Buy.

Hey there Al,

Was the Apple Cinema Display that much of a distraction to you?

I had to read the post a couple of times to understand your issue, but I wasn't talking about computer monitors when I said "displays," although yours was huge. Monster had several product displays set up in the rooms that were enormous and completely out of place at our type of event. They basically packed it all in on Friday and then clogged the halls filling pallets to pack it all out on Sunday. It was lame and obtrusive.

I believe all that annoying behavior was due to pure ignorance of Head-Fi, how we roll and what a "National Meet" is all about. This was a little surprising given the many questions they asked prior to Can Jam. I would have thought they were better prepared. They seemed to be expecting a flea market atmosphere rather than a CES or our version type of event. M****** wanted to make a big splash and their presence was obvious, but in a negative way. Had they just spent some time reading the Can Jam thread they would have been much better prepared and learned a lot more than they probably did.

M****** to some degree seems to be trying to determine the extent of their product line. They are attempting to be horizontally integrated in audio with their consumer audiophile, home theater and pro audio products but are trying to determine how broadly diversified they should go. Should they try to go high end in headphones or stay mainstream, should they include headphone amps? If so what type and how expensive?

BTW M****** never cleared with the organizers their intention to bring a mega display and a clown car full of reps. Up until the last week their headcount was seven people and for two display tables over two days that is above average but not outrageous. The additional people were added on over the last three days prior to the meet. Again, I suspect this was as much their disorganization as their malevolent intent.

Edited by Augsburger

Well, I guess I am either more pragmatic or less noble than you, depending on ones perspective

Has nothing to do with being pragmatic or noble. I don't like the way they do business and their sue happy nature doesn't help their image in my mind.

I had to read the post a couple of times to understand your issue, but I wasn't talking about computer monitors when I said "displays," although yours was huge. Monster had several product displays set up in the rooms that were enormous and completely out of place at our type of event. They basically packed it all in on Friday and then clogged the halls filling pallets to pack it all out on Sunday. It was lame and obtrusive.

Ohhhhh...thanks for clearing that up :)

I was thinking to myself, Al was so nice in person (hec you let me borrow the PS1 to hear in my own system), how can he be so mean on the forum!

Sorry bout the confusion! I feel so embarrassed now.

So did Neil end up picking up his ES2 soon after? I talked to him and he was totally missing it! hehe. It was funny how he had David open up the room for him so that he could pack it up Saturday night itself...then he came right back up to the party by the pool. Good times!

...Monster Rant...

Thank you for your comments. I think not only will they prove valuable in the event that we end up dealing with them, but I think the same goes for any manufacturer. As this hobby and event continues to grow, it can only be safely assumed that the more commercial entities will take notice and want to become involved. Just speculating here, but I can see Bose or a Bose-like company wanting to be a part of the event and community. We will need to make sure that we articulate clearly what the community and the event is about, and ensure that they understand and respect the relatively close, respectful, tightly knit group that we have established.

As this hobby and event continues to grow, it can only be safely assumed that the more commercial entities will take notice and want to become involved. Just speculating here, but I can see Bose or a Bose-like company wanting to be a part of the event and community. We will need to make sure that we articulate clearly what the community and the event is about, and ensure that they understand and respect the relatively close, respectful, tightly knit group that we have established.

Truthiness! deal.gif

The more vendors you have, the more money is made for the organizers to figure out how to spend it on the members fun.

I'll also add, that when these guys show up at CanJam it means they value you and your opinion. And when they're there you have the opportunity to voice your pleasure/displeasure at their products and corporate activity.

How many here had the balls to tell them you're opinion of Monster? Noel Lee said "Headphones are the new speakers" to me. He wants "in" in this market. I think it's only right for folks to make sure they have an accurate understanding of the perceptions they'll have to deal with as they try to enter this market.

CanJam is a GREAT opportunity to speak up and speak directly to the people who bring headphone products to you. And it's virtually a miracle that they're coming to us, rather than trying to worm your opinion into their corporate systems.

I'll also add, that when these guys show up at CanJam it means they value you and your opinion. And when they're there you have the opportunity to voice your pleasure/displeasure at their products and corporate activity.

My friend and I went to listen to Monster Beats Studio headphones. They sounded extra bassy. He mentioned that, not even "these are bassy and muddy" but like "these are kind of bassy" and the rep started telling us how they're studio accurate and lots of recordings have boosted bass. :asshat:

This is not my experience of how large corporations operate from the inside. Showing up means they saw it as a profitable advertising or public relations opportunity. Anything else is speculation.

(Monster in particular is not generally well-known for caring about the opinion of the public.)