Ye Macce Threade

I figured out how to get back the md5 checksum option in disk utility. 

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility advanced-image-options 1

I checked the md5 checksum of the iso in terminal and I get a different answer than I do in disk utility, weird.  The hash in terminal is correct, the one listed in disk utility is wrong.  What is up with that?  

Edit:  Nevermind, I was selecting "MD5 image checksum" instead of "MD5" in disk utility. Evidently they are different.  

Edited by shellylh

I think it was on gfxcardstatus' "Dynamic Switching." The gfxcardstatus doesn't retain the settig and reverts back to dynamic switching at every startup, and I'd forgotten to switch to integrated only. I did manage to restart after another pram reset, but it's really just a paperweight at this point since I'm afraid to use it for anything even vaguely critical.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Running the newest Yosemite, Spotlight just crapped out.  I checked the service, and It's locked harder than, well, a  lock.  However, the search in the toolbar of each Finder window continues to work.  That's interesting to me.

So, it's also likely that the "Time machine crashes during backups due to Spotlight mdsworker crashes" issue may come back?

So, Time Machine gave me the following error, which I've never seen before, when doing an incremental backup to my Drobo 5N on the network.  I've been backing up to the Drobo since March 21st and have now lost the entire backup history.  Canceling, Rebooting, and restarting the Backup Later didn't help.  

My 1.72GB backup partition still had about 500GB of free space on it, and I didn't do anything that would have made the newest backup too big to fit.

dUsJJG.jpg

Has this happened to anyone else?  

This is a good reason why you should have more than one backup of your computer.  Fortunately I still have two encrypted portable time machine backups with 6 months of history.  I keep one off site, and plug the other one in about once a day before bedtime.  The Drobo network backup was the only one with hourly backups.  Plus I have a bootable clone that I keep hidden around the house.

Note - a 940GB time machine backup via 100 feet of Cat-5 ethernet cable takes over 24 hours the first time, or about 6x slower than directly to a USB drive.  I should have moved the Macbook downstairs to the network closet for this 1st backup via a shorter/better cable.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Not sure if related but I once had a Time Machine backup that looked good and copesetic but Time Machine complained of it being a bad image (and therefore unusable) when it came time to restore.  All the data was still there however so a third party program (sorry, don't remember which one and this was done for a friend whose hard disk died) was used to extract the files from the Time Machine image. 

Is the data from your Time Machine backups still available?  Time Machine might not be able to make sense of it (or throw errors like what you're seeing) but perhaps a different program can see the data and files. 

Not sure if related but I once had a Time Machine backup that looked good and copesetic but Time Machine complained of it being a bad image (and therefore unusable) when it came time to restore.  All the data was still there however so a third party program (sorry, don't remember which one and this was done for a friend whose hard disk died) was used to extract the files from the Time Machine image. 

Is the data from your Time Machine backups still available?  Time Machine might not be able to make sense of it (or throw errors like what you're seeing) but perhaps a different program can see the data and files. 

When I finally clicked "start new backup" as depicted in the screenshot above, it slowly deleted everything in the previous backup.  I have two other time machine drives going back as far as Feb and one back to April, as well as a working clone, so I just let it do it's thing and started over...  

It's very slow though, with another 6 hours estimated remaining till completion for the last 300GB of the backup.

I googled this and found this - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4076?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US but it Applies to Time Capsule errors.

1. Drag the disk image to the Disk Utility sidebar.
  2. Select the disk image, then click Verify.
  3. If Disk Utility reports “Error: File system verify or repair failed,” you need to start a new backup. Note: Do not repair the disk image with Disk Utility.

To start a new backup of your Mac, choose Backup Now from the Time Machine icon in the menu bar.

And from another page, "A backup verification failure can also be caused by the use of network backup solutions from manufacturers other than Apple, or by a hardware problem with the backup disk."

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

not so much premature as irrelevant since they weren't going to be buying anyway

Me personally, no. But people at my office? Yes.

I'm not sure I would advise someone to get the iMac 5k when you can get one of those new mini's and pair it with a 599 dell 4k display for basically half the price.