Ye Macce Threade

I'd check with apple about the battery tho, too.  They're pretty good about replacing bulging batteries and they're pretty reasonable for repairs like that, as well.

It is most certainly a bulging battery.  I wouldn't power on the machine anymore or plug in the laptop until it is fixed.   Is there an Apple store around there?  This happened to Tim's laptop a few months ago.  It was 4 years old and Apple wouldn't replace the battery but they (for free) took out the battery and now it can be used without a battery (it has to be plugged in).  I also had the option to have it replaced fro $129 I believe.  Since I didn't use the laptop, I decided to just have it removed.  

If you fix it yourself, I would be very careful not to damage the battery.  There is a reason it is bulging. 

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 1

New battery arrived this evening and it's been replaced already. iFixit tools are really good, it never took me this little to open the MBP. The new battery seems absolutely legit, came half charged at 54% and is lasting a lot. OSX isn't showing the "fix battery" warning anymore. Now the trackpad click is soft, I think it's never been this soft, not even when the computer was brand new. That or my fingers have got so strong by clicking on the old battery for months that now I can drill on wood with my sole finger.

• Like 9

Is there a way to limit bandwidth by mac address? My roommate has a rather annoying habit of leaving netflix streaming when she leaves the apartment. In the past I didn't care that she did that even after multiple reminders asking her to turn her tv off since she kept complaining about the electricity bill. Now that Comcast has starting capping bandwidth at 300gb it has become a bigger problem. In the past 11 days she has already used up 147gb. Maybe not even limit speed but perhaps limit her to 150gb and then have her internet get cut off. I have an airport extreme. 

Edited by crappyjones123

Is there a way to limit bandwidth by mac address? My roommate has a rather annoying habit of leaving netflix streaming when she leaves the apartment. In the past I didn't care that she did that even after multiple reminders asking her to turn her tv off since she kept complaining about the electricity bill. Now that Comcast has starting capping bandwidth at 300gb it has become a bigger problem. In the past 11 days she has already used up 147gb. Maybe not even limit speed but perhaps limit her to 150gb and then have her internet get cut off. I have an airport extreme. 

I could not find a way to limit bandwidth other than installing an app on their computer.  Here is a fix to adjust the priority of packets for non apple routers limit roommates bandwidth or block sites or set time restrictions limit roommate continued and parental controls for linksys

I don't know that you can do that with an an Apple airport extreme, but you can set it to cut off their internet during hours when you know they wont be home.  In Airport Utility you select your router and choose "edit", then go to "network" and choose "timed network access" and crate a new rule where you enter the user's MAC adress and select only certain hours for when they are allowed to have access to the internet.

It should cut them off when the time is outside of the hours you select as being okay, so if they work from 8-5 each day you can have their internet turn off when they leave and disconnect Netflix.

Found this online - Check the settings on your router and see if it has a setting for QOS (quality of service), bandwidth control, or bandwidth throttling. If you don't have that option on your router, check with dd-wrt ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index ) and see if your router is on that list. Flashing firmware can be a bit tricky, if you're not sure you can do it, DON'T!

This router here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... D-Link xtreme router does have bandwidth control built into it: you can set a limit to, say 10mbps download for certain people only, or set it for everyone and exclude yourself from the limit...there's a few different ways to do that. You can also set up throttling during certain times of the day, etc...

Oh, and you can ask your roommate to change their netflix settings for a lower quality stream that uses less data per hour of video streaming.  Or take away all internet and remove the charge from their portion of the voice/data/TV bill.

LASTLY, you can flash a new firmware onto a decent router, that actually lets you set the roommate's bandwidth at their IP address to something like 1mbps or whatever you want. It looks complicated to me - how-to-reliably-limit-the-amount-of-bandwidth-your-room-mate-or-bad-office-colleague-uses

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Wasn't sure where to put this one, so I posted it here. I got an Undeliverable response for an email which I did not send. It appears a user in Seoul is using my email address (with a capitalized 1st letter)? Anyone more savvy at headers see anything else here?

Removed per dusty

Edited by Pars

I wouldn't do anything to any of the associated addresses -- neither the .ru address nor the dromero address -- you might accidentally confirm something that they were fishing for.  IIRC, Comcast has the ability to report an email -- I'd send it to them and be done with it.

It's very common to use someone else's email address in the header -- they probably didn't even hack you, they probably hacked someone who had your email address.

That said, change your password, as Jacob said.  Heck, I think you can even change your email address with comcast.

And certainly don't go posting it like you just did.

C==L?

Edited by Dusty Chalk

• 2 weeks later...

I went the other way.

When I upgraded to Yosemite over the summer, I didn't like the changes to iTunes so I reverted to 11.4.

It doesn't sync with other devices like 12 but that's okay with me.

I won't be installing el cap until Avid (and a few others) get some issues with Pro Tools ironed out.

Maybe next summer?

I signed out of all devices and browsers for the apple id

then deleted several thousand empty playlists (which itunes made when I imported my library)

tedious as hell, but seems to be running quite a bit better.

i have been getting sporadic browser hanging with Chrome ever since the OS upgrade and have finally just decided to use another browser.

word to the wise, never create multiple keychains. 

• Like 1

Many of us have reverted to iTunes 12.3.0.44 (instead of 12.3.1) and fixed issues.

Another fix is to create a new iTunes library, move your iTunes media folder to the new library folder, re-import all of the media files, and re-create all of your playlists.  However, iCloud Music Library was still broken for me, so I reverted.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of Mac/OSX questions. I'm still using Mavericks, for reference.

- I have a few midi (.mid) files which are GarageBand compatible, my friends can play them on their Macs using GB-9 and use them to rehearse their lines. In my MBP they won't play. At first they got a warning of not being "approved developer sourced" files, then I told the system to open them anyway, and now they won't play in GB saying "Garage Band cannot play Midi Audio files". Suggestions to fix that? I don't have other GB legit files to see how it works, but the program seems to open and work normally. The midis in my computer play as tunes if using other midi players like MidiTrail. What bugs me most is that my mates can play them normally using my very same version of Garage Band.

- Is it possible to add more hard drive capacity to an existing external USB HDD by using another external HDD somewhat linked to it? On Windows one could use what they called "dynamic driver" so when adding more disk space, you could tell the system to handle that storage capacity as if it were physically part of the existing unit. I'd need to do this in order to keep a large collection of files which are individually handled by an application. If I added a larger disk and copied those files into it, I'd be forced to individually add those files into that application. Then the dynamic drive solution would let me just add more files which this application would see as "more of the same" as I already have.