Ye Macce Threade

new airs

Alongside today's launch of OS X Lion, Apple has also released updated MacBook Air models covering both the 11.6-inch and 13.3-inch sizes. As had been previously rumored, the new models are based on Intel's Sandy Bridge platform, sport Thunderbolt connectivity for peripherals, and see the return of backlit keyboards. The new MacBook Airs are offered in the following configurations:

11.6-inch

- 1.6 GHz, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM: $999

- 1.6 GHz, 128 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM: $1199

13.3-inch

- 1.7 GHz, 128 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM: $1299

- 1.7 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM: $1599

Build-to-order customers can also choose to upgrade to a 1.8 GHz processor and additional solid-state storage.

With up to twice the performance of the previous generation, flash storage for instant-on responsiveness and a compact design so portable you can take it everywhere,* the MacBook Air starts at $999 (US) and is available for order today and in stores tomorrow.

“Portable, affordable and powerful, MacBook Air is the ultimate everyday notebook,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “MacBook Air features our most advanced technology and is an ideal match for Lion, especially with its new Multi-Touch gestures, full-screen apps, Mission Control and Mac App Store.”

The new MacBook Air models are available for order today and will be available in stores tomorrow. All models ship with OS X Lion preinstalled.

new minis and displays

Apple today released an update to its Mac mini line, bringing Intel's Sandy Bridge platform to the diminutive desktop computer along with new support for the Thunderbolt connectivity standard being pushed by Apple and Intel. The new Mac mini lineup consists of two standard stock configurations alongside a "server" model. Notably, all models drop the optical disc in favor of an optional external SuperDrive.

Standard models

- 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 500 GB hard drive, 2 GB RAM: $599

- 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 500 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM: $799

Server model

- 2.0 GHz, dual 500 GB hard drives, 4 GB RAM: $999

Additional build-to-order options include an upgrade to 8 GB of RAM, up to 750 GB hard drives, and an external SuperDrive. The high-end standard model and the server model can also be configured with one (standard) or two (server) 256 GB solid-state drives.

The new Mac mini delivers up to twice the processor and graphics performance of the previous generation in the same amazingly compact and efficient aluminum design.* Starting at just $599 (US), the new Mac mini is available for order today and in stores tomorrow.

“Mac mini delivers the speed and expandability that makes it perfect for the desktop, living room or office,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “With faster processors, more powerful graphics and Thunderbolt in an incredibly compact, aluminum design, the new Mac mini is more versatile than ever.”

All Mac mini models ship with OS X Lion pre-installed.

Alongside the new Mac mini models, Apple also released a new Apple Thunderbolt Display. Appearing nearly identical to the previous 27-inch LED Cinema Display, the primary upgrade to Apple's sole standalone display offering is Thunderbolt compatibility, enabling the device to be used within daisy-chained configurations of the new high-speed data and display connectivity standard. With the new standard, users can for the first time run two displays off of a single Thunderbolt port on Macs offering enough graphics horsepower to support the pixel load.

The upgrade to Thunderbolt also allows Apple to turn the display into an "ultimate docking station", with the new display now offering a built-in FaceTime HD camera, 2.1 speaker system, three USB ports, one Firewire 800 port, one Gigabit Ethernet port, and a second Thunderbolt port to enable daisy chaining. An integrated MagSafe cable for powering connected notebook computers also continues to be offered.

“The Apple Thunderbolt Display is the ultimate docking station for your Mac notebook,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing.” With just one cable, users can dock with their new display and connect to high performance peripherals, network connections and audio devices.”

Images of the new Thunderbolt-enabled LED Cinema Display leaked on Apple's site late last week, foreshadowing their arrival alongside the Mac minis that do not ship with an included display. The new LED Cinema Display will be available within the next 60 days and is priced at $999.

I'm a business customer at my local Apple Store. They told me to call later this afternoon as they were expecting a shipment. Once I tell them what I want they will put it aside for me so I won't have to wait in any lines, should that be an issue. I think I am going with the 11" with the 1.8 i7 and the 256 gb of ram. I'm pretty sure this will replace my office computer, which I will sell.

Anyone know what I can get for a 13" MBP (it's called a MB but was the first aluminum MB that was available, without FW)? It's 2.4GHz Core Duo, 4GB ram and a 250GB drive. It's in pretty decent shape, almost 3 years old with about 3 months of Apple Care left. I just got a new battery and power adapter.

No more rippin' CDs straight onto your Mini music server though.

Steve wants you to buy all your new bits from the iTunes store.

But isn't that what *cough* your networked vortexbox appliance , the 'net, or friends are for ;)

EDIT: Ditto for DVD's and Blu-ray's too, I suppose

Edited by Grahame

Ordered ... for my wife (jealous! But I'm her tech support, and SOMEONE will have to configure it for her! :))

MacBook Air, 13-inch

Ships: within 24 hours

Delivers: Jul 22 - Jul 25 by Guaranteed 2 Business Days

Part number: MC965LL/A

Configuration

1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM

128GB Flash Storage

Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

Accessory Kit

on something like that i5 makes more sense. less heat, better battery life. the speed difference is minor.

I hadn't considered the battery life issue moving to the i7. I need the computer to be able to run Parallels, which requires at least a 1.6GHZ processor so I'm thinking I need to give up a little battery life to ensure that Parallels will work well.

on something like that i5 makes more sense. less heat, better battery life. the speed difference is minor.

Speaking of heat, I am personally a little wary of the new Macbook Air. My 2011 13" i5 Macbook Pro is specc'ed similarly to some of the new models and anytime the processor or video card starts working, the fans kick in to overdrive. I run into this with VMWare, youtube, compiling code, etc.

I am curious if Apple is going to throttle the processor or just have people deal with super loud fans kicking in anytime they work on something more complex than surfing forums.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

you did see the clock speeds, right?

Ah, I see.

I just assumed it was a lower clocked version of the same processor, but it looks like my mac has the 2410M which is pulling about 35 watts and I am guessing the Macbook Air has the 2557M which is only around 17 watts. We are still looking at about a 7 watt increase from the core 2 duos but hopefully Apple figured out a way to dissipate the extra heat without relying on the "super loud fan" solution of the MBPs.

EDIT: I guess if you stick with the i5 in the 13" Air you are looking at the same TDP as the high end core 2 duo. However, there were reports of throttling on that processor, most likely for heat concerns.

Edited by raif

lol, me too. My first gen intel imac does not have enuf special.

Was the lack of support for older intel macs widely publicized?

Most places did talk about Lion needing at least Core 2 Duo, which didn't show up in intel iMac till 2nd gen. I don't remember Apple really talking about it, though.