Grado HF-2 Impressions Thread

tkam

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bowls, of course.

Naaaahhhhh.:basement::basement::basement:

OK, fine, I'll admit bowls are better balanced, clearer, and probably better for most "music." But the reason I went and got these was because I didn't feel like any of my current inventory were doing justice to my death metal collection. As much as I enjoy the audiophiley smoothness, detail, etc of many of the high end phones, I always felt that the majority of them didn't quite have the balls. Well, HF2s with flats is fucking balls out, and I'm willing to sacrifice comfort and endure a little muddiness to have those drivers right up on my ears.

Naaaahhhhh.:basement::basement::basement:

OK, fine, I'll admit bowls are better balanced, clearer, and probably better for most "music." But the reason I went and got these was because I didn't feel like any of my current inventory were doing justice to my death metal collection. As much as I enjoy the audiophiley smoothness, detail, etc of many of the high end phones, I always felt that the majority of them didn't quite have the balls. Well, HF2s with flats is fucking balls out, and I'm willing to sacrifice comfort and endure a little muddiness to have those drivers right up on my ears.

What was I thinking, when I listen to my death metal collection, I don't even use pads. :)

I remembered I had an old set of earpads from a set of Sennheiser PC-150s (http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/5b/80/75dc224128a05c1a9b4f7010.L.jpg).

I threw them on the HF2s and they are much more comfortable than the bowls. However, the sound is quite different and probably closer to what you guys are experiencing with flats as these are much more shallow than the bowls. The two main differences seem to be increased bass and slight decrease in spaciousness. I think for now I'll stick with these earpads, but I'd be interested to know what you guys think of the 414 pads.

These are the first current production John Grado design (PS1 and HP2 won't qualify) that I really like with bowls since the first minute. Haven't tried them with flats yet, but for how the sound changes by applying pressure on the cups, I think I'll like them better with bowls. Flats would keep the tonal rightness, but would make the bass too much for me. I'll see later.

I like their timbre, they sound nothing like the 225 (even the aluminum cups version Picaudio made) or RS1. For my ears the sound of acoustic instruments is more natural and believable than in any other current JG headphone. Maybe the vintage RS1 are different, and I haven't tried the SR325. Though they keep that fun factor and immediate presence of the family sound, while being refined and smooth in the treble.

I wish they hadn't used those plastic yokes of the SR series, it's a shame :palm: