Grado HF-2 Impressions Thread

tkam

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am finally spending some time with my HF-2 today and so far I think that they are much better than the RS-1 (without the buttons) that I owned in the past.

It's the first time that I can wear a pair of Grado for more than 2 hours without any ear fatigue. tongue_smile.gif

I think overall, it's a steal for the price !

Okay, just got them today and early impressions are really, really good. I don't want to say too much about them yet as it is still early, but I can say that out of the Luxman P-1 and Maxed out SDS it sounds great. I even tried them with the EC/SS and GS-X at work and I was really impressed with them. I'll try them out with the other amps later, but so far I'm enjoying these much more than the HF-1s which I owned 3 times.

Mine (#84) arrived last week when I was out camping. I only had a chance to plug it in to my GLite for about a minute at work -- just enough time to confirm that it seems to be working fine.

The cord is short as many have commented. Is Grado making a matching extension cable? The cable in the HF2 is different than the older pre-"i" models, right?

That is the album I just bought yesterday, so July 21 came a little early this year. ;D I know the 45 RPM vinyl is still coming out at some point, and I think there is an SACD, but the CD was in the store yesterday.

Thanks for the tip. I just listened to the samples on Amazon. Very cool. Will be on the lookout for that vinyl!

HF2 vs Alessandro MS2i

Lots of similarities, probably more similarities than differences I'd say, but then what do I know.

Equipment chain: Plinius CD-101 > PPA w/ dual headphone jacks. Both headphones fitted with bowl pads.

Both headphones have a kind of Grado sound - fast, relatively clear, good bass thump, etc. The MS2i is more treble-tilted, the HF2 a tad darker, but only in the treble. The mid-ranges of both headphones don't seem to be too different - greater lower grunt on the HF2, but not by too much. Cleaner, clearer treble on the MS2i which I definitely prefer. MS2i also more laidback - as in, the HF2 feels more upfront/forward and aggressive. Also more "soundstage" on the MS2i, feels like there's more air around and in front of the band. If the MS2i is supposed to be neutral/flat (which is what I've read about it), then I guess one could say that the HF2 is colored in the mid-range/mid-bass direction.

I have tried the HD414 pads on both headphones but since I have only 1 pair of them I can't hot-swap the headphones. And I wouldn't trust my own opinion without being able to hot-swap. ;)

HF2 with TTVJ FET-A

I have the amp on loan from Todd (TTVJ), to be returned in a few days. HF2 sounds really good with it. Less forward/upfront in the mid-range than the PPA that I have, but it counterbalances the treble for added refinement and speed. The HF2 sounds that much quicker and more rhythmic with the FET-A. The amp would be even better with the HF2 if it had a lower gain though.

HF2 with TTVJ FET-A

I have the amp on loan from Todd (TTVJ), to be returned in a few days. HF2 sounds really good with it. Less forward/upfront in the mid-range than the PPA that I have, but it counterbalances the treble for added refinement and speed. The HF2 sounds that much quicker and more rhythmic with the FET-A. The amp would be even better with the HF2 if it had a lower gain though.

That was definitely my impression from CanJam. The TTVJ FET-A was my favorite pairing with the HF-2. That would make a very nice rig.

Having had it at home for a while it sounds better, much better in fact, out of the AA HPA v.1.0 than it does out of the GSX. Earlier in the year when I was able to compare the AA and the FET-A I was struck by how similar they sounded with my MS-Pro so that is not a real surprise.

I've had my HF-2's for a little while now and I must say I think they are pretty easily my favorite current production Grado's. I think the HF-2's have several key advantages over the rest of the line-up. They don't have the typical brightness/sharpness in the treble yet they still have very good extension. Also while many Grado's are renowned for their punchy bass most of them don't go very deep at all, with the HF-2 this is not the case. Their bass roll-off starts at a lower point and I think to some degree that gives them a little more impact.

Edited by tkam

I've had my HF-2's for a little while now and I must say I think they are pretty easily my favorite current production Grado's. I think the HF-2's have several key advantages over the rest of the line-up. They don't have the typical brightness/sharpness in the treble yet they still have very good extension. Also while many Grado's are renowned for their punchy bass most of them don't go very deep at all, with the HF-2 this is not the case. Their bass roll-off starts at a lower point and I think to some degree that gives them a little more impact.

They were damn near universally loved by this weekend's crew. I don't know why Grado can only do special edition cans well but I find nearly their entire range of current production cans utterly forgettable but both the modded HF-1s and stock HF-2s are superb in my book. They're hardly perfect but what flaws they do have are forgivable.

So they're the same but for the F1 thing :palm:

The HF2 have two things that annoy me. One the plastic yoke with that button which contacts the aluminum external ring so the cups won't swing as much as needed when using the bowls, and the too thick wire. It weighs a lot. I don't know if it has any positive audible effect, but I think I'd trade it for a less weighty feel.