Amarra "Mini" -- $395

Hopstretch

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd update this: A friend of mine in CA contacted Amarra directly, as he was interested in using it with his Alpha DAC. It does definitely work with the optical digital output.

Apparently I forgot to follow up with a post, but I asked Sonic and they said that they did add that capability in the last couple months. Thanks for posting the correct info.

Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko Neko

Edited by guzziguy

QFT. Those things look sweet. Metric Halo may be another option too.

The Metric Halo ULN-2 is the bargain of the century for $1700 (without the DSP installed) $$2400 with DSP. You'll only need the DSP if you plan to use it as a phono pre, want to mess around with EQ or plan on recording stuff with it.

Great DAC but Dinny you've gone this far, sell off your DAC harem and get a ULN-8.:eek:

I power mine off the firewire port of my mac mini. There is an ability to use a separate ps, probably a walwart, not sure as mine did not come with one.

The specs say that it can take 9V-30V DC for a power supply, if I end up with a spare sigma11 I'll try to configure it appropriately and then one of you can take the Pepsi

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, it's still nudge-nudge wink-wink at this point, but my understanding is it'll be using the Wave Editor/Izotope platform. Based on their other stuff, I'd expect it to kick Amarra's ass in terms of application design. Which, let's be honest, is not hard. Amarra is butt ugly and chews through RAM like Dinny goes through DACs. How it will sound, of course, is another question entirely. But Wave Editor is $80, so they've got plenty of room to undercut Amarra Mini, let alone the full Amarra suite.