The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Is this inherently different than the same situation in digital (or a groove construction issue here)? I've heard adding the Y helps with lowering noise floor too. And at least for the next few days, considering I have an ear infection, I may be getting close to the real experience without much effort.

I believe that the discussion of playing mono records with the use of a mono switch or a "Y" connector is only for records that were cut with a mono cutter head. If you have older records which were cut in mono (I have an original "Kind of Blue" which is mono) the groove and the location of the "cuts" is different from a stereo record. In which case, to really get the most out of these records, you need a mono stylus which is shaped differently.

Using a mono switch or "Y" connector helps to get closer but once again, this is only with older records and not with the Classic Records releases which were cut with a stereo cutter head and fed with two mono signals.

I believe that the discussion of playing mono records with the use of a mono switch or a "Y" connector is only for records that were cut with a mono cutter head. If you have older records which were cut in mono (I have an original "Kind of Blue" which is mono) the groove and the location of the "cuts" is different from a stereo record. In which case, to really get the most out of these records, you need a mono stylus which is shaped differently.

Using a mono switch or "Y" connector helps to get closer but once again, this is only with older records and not with the Classic Records releases which were cut with a stereo cutter head and fed with two mono signals.

Ok, now I am a bit confused. A recent release of a Hank Mobley Mono Blue Note vinyl, "

BLUE NOTE - BN 1560-MONO-200GR

CLASSIC RECORDS - BN 1560-MONO-200GR"

provides this information in the notes "Description: MONO recording. 200 gram LP. Another of the fantastic Hank Mobley Blue Note recordings featuring Donald

Byrd, John Jenkins (BN 1573), Bobby Timmons, Wilbur Ware and "Philly" Joe

Jones. As part of the Classic Blue Note Signature Series this LP was cut

from the original full track mono master tapes on an all tube mono cutting

system and pressed on Classic's 200g Super Vinyl Profile. Tunes include "Fit

for a Hanker", "Hi Groove, Low Feed-Back", "Easy to Love", "Time after Time"

and "Dance of the Infidels".

So the Classic Records mono vinyl is OK with a stereo cartridge and the usual stereo rca hookups but the Blue Note reissues appear to mostly be cut with a mono cutter so they most likely require a mono cartridge with the Y wire rca cable to the phono pre?

I went to Classics site and it does state that the 200 gm titles were made with lacquers cut with a mono stylus. Those titles should sound their best with a mono cartridge and a mono switch.

I was just going by what was stated in the Hoffman thread in which Steve had said that Classic did not use a mono cutter stylus.

I guess I should have tried experimenting with the "Y" connectors before I jumped into this anyway!

Sorry,.. I'll do that when I get back from Monterey.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, those Artisan Lencos are freaking beautiful. But costly.

I have seen used Nantais ones come up much cheaper. Sometimes less than what you could probably get for your SSM.

I know someone will probably say there is a lot more than you can do to a Lenco, but I heard a Nantais Lenco in a wood plinth and it sounded excellent.

two best TT experiences were both idler wheel drives.

OMA has a lenco driven table that once was an absolute bargain ($4400) and now is a bit on the costly side ($8K). This table with the miyajima carts were heaven. I heard this at OMA's showroom and at RMAF and was blown away.

The other is much more reasonable cost wise but requires either skills or a friend with them. GoTu had a 301/301 in a plywood open plinth think two sheets of plywood on top 4 steel rods (one in each corner) and a plywood base. This rig had me feeling goosebumps as VSAC.

I've heard a ton or great TTs but these both created a "live" in the room experience. I've got a 401 at the moment that I just need to find someone to plinth it up for me.

Tom,

From my experience, there isn't that much performance difference between the SSM and a Gyro. There is a big difference between the JWM arm and an SME V. Given the same cartridge and excellent set up, the SME will have better image focus and will track better. Another advantage of the "V" is it works well on a large number of cartridges.

Tom,

From my experience, there isn't that much performance difference between the SSM and a Gyro. There is a big difference between the JWM arm and an SME V. Given the same cartridge and excellent set up, the SME will have better image focus and will track better. Another advantage of the "V" is it works well on a large number of cartridges.

Thanks for info. Now a can figure most of the changes/improvments are coming from the arm. Cartridge is the Dyna XV-1s.

I don't have any experience with the XV-1s but some folks seem to love it.

I have a XX-2Mkll and I love it. It took loads of tweaking to get the most out of it (I still need to do a bit more tweaking on set up to get it to track perfectly) but it's killer with the stuff I listen to.

You could be in for a real eye opener. Of course, with an arm and cart combo that weighs in around $10k retail, it should.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new table/arm hooked up. Sound is a little slower than the VPI, but the presentation is nicer and more inner detail going on. Its much more layered from front to back than it was. Keeper for awhile at least (table) i think the arm is a work of art and sound and will be on any table i buy in the future. Sorry about the photos. I'll have my wife add better shots tomorrow.

2477094NewMicheleturntable10.11001.JPG

2477095NewMicheleturntable10.11003.JPG

2477096NewMicheleturntable10.11004.JPG

Edited by tom_hankins
  • Like 2