The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Fun it was. I think in an hour we discussed tables (he pretty much points to Rega and Nottingham in sub $2K, though has favorable comments on arms and carts from others), motor philosophy, British speaker price/performance, his dust cover designs, clamps versus weights, real names versus online titles, history of the store, analog trends of last decade, Tower Records, the Hoffman 45rpm reissues, electrostatic speakers versus headphones, the 'real' Tommy pressing, his favorite The Band release, Texas, how he keeps loosing his cell, early versus late Fleetwood Mac, Luxman history, Accuphase history, how 'it's all about jazz,' future tube projects, how the Japanese wonderfully treat his wife, Colorado, how the light switch got broken, and a summary of the local Apple store employees. This was all while plowing through cigars, giving a (new?) associate directions and helping other customers too.

Edited by blessingx

Speaking of Regas.... anybody got any thoughts on re-wiring the arm? I was thinking about using the 33 ga Cardas multi conductor cable and doing an unbroken run from cart to SUT.

I snagged an RB-250 with the stainless steel RB-300 end stub for cheaps on eBay. I'm building a wide/heavy counterweight with a micro adjustor. When that's done, next up is rewiring it, then it will go on the more modded of my two Planar 3s.

Which, by the way, is part of the fun of Regas. You can buy/make all sorts of stuff and try it. It it works, great. If not, it usually super-easy to return the table to stock condition.

Speaking of Regas.... anybody got any thoughts on re-wiring the arm? I was thinking about using the 33 ga Cardas multi conductor cable and doing an unbroken run from cart to SUT. I snagged an RB-250 with the stainless steel RB-300 end stub for cheaps on eBay. I'm building a wide/heavy counterweight with a micro adjustor. When that's done, next up is rewiring it, then it will go on the more modded of my two Planar 3s. Which, by the way, is part of the fun of Regas. You can buy/make all sorts of stuff and try it. It it works, great. If not, it usually super-easy to return the table to stock condition.

I would love to re-wire my RB-250 but have no idea how to do it and would have to farm it out. I have a set of IEM cables made from Cardas 33 ga silver wire and it's great wire, very transparent and detailed (but for Livewires unfortunately, which I don't use anymore). If you figure this out, I would love to know if you used someone and who.

Well, instead I went with a used Ace Space shattering the budget...

imagejxs.jpg

I was very excited... until the stylus (on a non-stylus replaceable cart - ClearAudio Aurem Alpha) just fell off on the second LP. Grrr. Yeah. Boo.

EDIT: Hours and Manhattans later... still it's a fu*king good looking table. Just wish I could listen to it.

imagehbg.jpg

Edited by blessingx

angry.png Damn Clearaudio, stay away from them. Congratulations for the purchase, that's a fantastic deck, it's almost an hyperspace and I'm not really sure the ultra-heavy platter is that important to final sound. BTW, get an affordable DL103 if your phono preamp allows it, on that deck will sound very very good for the price. Meanwhile you may save for a badass cart which that deck deserves. I can see in your horizon a ZYX, Dynavector, Shelter... cool.png Edited by Torpedo

Ah well the Clearaudio was the recommendation (in price and/or at least stock for traits discussed) of a certain cigar smokin' seller of the used table. He lent me a Grado cart (which sounds closer to the Bias 2, than the Aurem Alpha) as the other goes back to be repaired. Did pick up a couple mono 33s (Illinois Jacquet and Ben Webster) to make the trip worthwhile. Nice to have sound again.

Thanks again for everyones help and once my bank account has money again I may consider a cart upgrade based on your suggestions Torpedo.

Ah well the Clearaudio was the recommendation (in price and/or at least stock for traits discussed) of a certain cigar smokin' seller of the used table. He lent me a Grado cart (which sounds closer to the Bias 2, than the Aurem Alpha) as the other goes back to be repaired. Did pick up a couple mono 33s (Illinois Jacquet and Ben Webster) to make the trip worthwhile. Nice to have sound again.

Thanks again for everyones help and once my bank account has money again I may consider a cart upgrade based on your suggestions Torpedo.

Ric, how do you handle the mono signal wiring from the TT to your pre? Do you use a Y female splitter? Needless to say that is one sexy TT, nice score!

Edited by Augsburger