The analog thread.

Hopstretch

You have the allen screws which hold the arm axis, which loosened let you move it up and down to adjust VTA. The long one in the pic, is just a reference you may use for either temporarily leave the others loose and fine tune VTA using only that (IMHO that doesn't work well for the arm axis becomes unstable and it reflects on sound), or using it as a reference for different carts adjustment or how much you're changing the VTA.

Have you got it sounding already? :)

You have the allen screws which hold the arm axis, which loosened let you move it up and down to adjust VTA. The long one in the pic, is just a reference you may use for either temporarily leave the others loose and fine tune VTA using only that (IMHO that doesn't work well for the arm axis becomes unstable and it reflects on sound), or using it as a reference for different carts adjustment or how much you're changing the VTA.

Have you got it sounding already? smile.png

I do have it playing and listened to 33 and 45 rpm vinyl last night to make sure it was working at both speeds. The sound is very good, but the Bloom sounds different from my impressions on the Scout. I'm not entirely sure I like the changes, but it might take some getting used to (one thing I do like is instument timbre is more accurate). I listened to really revealing music (reissues with full frequencies intact and little compression) and it's far from the soft nature I was hearing on the Scout. The cart sounds a lot closer to an Airy 3 I heard from a pbthal needle drop.

One other question- is it ok to leave the motor pod plugged in all the time (can unplugging it when not in use harm it)? I can feel a slight vibration on the pulley when it isn't in use, but plugged in.

Playing Wayne Shorter The Soothsayer, Music Matters 45 rpm last night

spaceshorter.jpg

One other question- is it ok to leave the motor pod plugged in all the time (can unplugging it when not in use harm it)? I can feel a slight vibration on the pulley when it isn't in use, but plugged in.

Same here and I believe is normal. Analog Room/Nottingham US HQ said leaving plugged in is fine.

Deepak, looks like your settings are quite OK. What I like most of my NA is the timbre accuracy. On well recorded voices the thing is just astonishing. I hope you enjoy it a lot :) I don't have any complains about its tracking, but my current cart is a Shelter and I don't listen to many 45rpm discs. If I do they're mostly old fashioned singles. Maybe trying a bit of mass load (perhaps just 3-5 grams), then correcting VTF you get better tracking. BTW, how do you set up anti-skate? Did your deck come with the NA groove-less disc?

Regarding the leaving the motor plugged, they say you can do it, but I don't. I just unplug it every time I stop using the deck.

Deepak, looks like your settings are quite OK. What I like most of my NA is the timbre accuracy. On well recorded voices the thing is just astonishing. I hope you enjoy it a lot smile.png I don't have any complains about its tracking, but my current cart is a Shelter and I don't listen to many 45rpm discs. If I do they're mostly old fashioned singles. Maybe trying a bit of mass load (perhaps just 3-5 grams), then correcting VTF you get better tracking. BTW, how do you set up anti-skate? Did your deck come with the NA groove-less disc?

Regarding the leaving the motor plugged, they say you can do it, but I don't. I just unplug it every time I stop using the deck.

If I may use a lame analogy the Scout is to the HD650, as the Spacedeck is to SR-Omega.

Hehehe, I haven't every used a VPI, just saw an old HW-19 Jr, but didn't get to listen to it, so I don't know how VPI compares to NA. I have the Hyperspace, but have listened to the Spacedeck and also the Interspace. I can't dare to judge the sound of a deck in a system which is not my own rig, but in all cases I've liked the results.

Hehehe, I haven't every used a VPI, just saw an old HW-19 Jr, but didn't get to listen to it, so I don't know how VPI compares to NA. I have the Hyperspace, but have listened to the Spacedeck and also the Interspace. I can't dare to judge the sound of a deck in a system which is not my own rig, but in all cases I've liked the results.

I like the VPI house sound (ducks under chair :D ), my friend used to have an Aries 3 and it was similar to the Scout.

How would you define the VPI house sound? Never read/heard about it from a reliable source wink.png

I have noticed all these traits with the VPI's I have heard - a bit dark, not as much emphasis on leading attacks, can make instruments like alto sax and mute trumpet sound more pleasant than they really are. This might be why people tend to pair them with Dynavectors. I thought they were musical, but clearly not many fans here on Head-Case if you do a search.

While I have not spent time with an LP12, I think Stereophile's review of the Scout is quite accurate.

Also in the USA, VPI customer service is outstanding.

I had the Yamaha PX-2 serviced yesterday by a great guy just north of Orlando strangely about 20 minutes from JH Audio. The linear tracking was sticking from time to time so I drove it up and he did same day service! While this is probably not the norm it was greatly appreciated. He pretty much checked everything and took the linear drive apart, cleaned and lubricated the parts that require it.

The linear drive operates with rollers that move along a metal surface and the prior owner greased the metal surface. Somewhat like coating the road with oil and wondering why you can't get traction.

My table did not need any parts so the cost was $88 total. The table sounds very much improved with the top end way opened up.

He can also do most of the work on the linear drive mechanism via mail with the customer taking out the tonearm and drive assembly. I was going to do that but I really wanted the entire table looked at and serviced if needed.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting. An acquaintance who lives about 350 miles away has recently purchased a VPI Classic. I can't recall what cart he's going to use. I might have a chance to listen to that one, but I don't know when, probably not soon.

To me the Classics sound is not on par with the Scout series tables. Although faster, and slightly more detailed sounding, they tend to sound a little thin to me. I have only heard the Classic1, so the 2 or 3 model might be better.

I miss my VPI SSM/JMW combo. After a couple months with the Michell/SME setup, I find it lacking in its overall performance compared to the VPI and realize that it is going to be very $$$$$ to do better than what I had.

Does anybody know anything about hifi4less.com in the UK? They sell the DV42 (Goldring 1049 replacement stylus) for 140GBP, which is about $216. The cheapest I've seen it online in the US is about $295. Googling hifi4less didn't find any red flags, but I thought I'd run this by you guys before finding out if they will sell to me and what shipping would cost.