The analog thread.

Hopstretch

That silver Lundahl sounds interesting.

I use Stevens and Billington Ltd 103 transformers (copper windings) and I'm very happy with them. I got them before the price went sky high (around $1500 a pair now! I paid about $500 ten years ago).

Even back then, the 103 with silver windings was expensive. Now their positively insane!

There is some relationship between Jensen and Cinemag and you might find the two to be exactly the same sounding. I did for the two I was comparing.

Is there an Onetics step-up option? If so, you might add it to your list.

Good to know, thank you.

My max budget is $500 a pair. Beyond that I'd rather have a better phono stage with more gain.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I am very pleased with the Spacedeck/Zyx pairing. I guess there was something not quite all the way there with the Scout that made me want to upgrade.

I've made it through about a a third of my jazz collection and it's definitely the highest resolution source I've had in my home.

Officially hooked on the new Lyra cartridge. After many years of Dynavectors with a one year stint running the koetsu RSP. I'm all in with the Delos and plan on moving up to the Kleos asap. Anyone looking for a cart in any price range should try and check out the delos, in alot of ways as good as i have heard regardless of $$$

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a replacement stylus for my Reson Reca cartridge. Thanks to help from Doug in Scotland, I got a pretty good deal from a UK only vendor. The stylus arrived today so now all I have to do is remove the old stylus and install the new one. However, I've never done this before. It looks like the styli should just slide on and off. Before I wreck a second stylus, would anybody care to offer advice and what to look out for? Do I have to unmount the cartridge or can I do this with it mounted on the arm?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Edit: Never mind. I found the Goldring 1042 instruction manual online (the Reson Reca is a modified 1042) and it's now pretty clear how to do it.

Edited by guzziguy

I have no youtube video, but here is a picture of my turntable playing "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown". I played it first because it's the album that would hurt the least to have damaged, but it's playing fine. Also, I like the album a lot more than when I heard it last.

P1010562.jpg

This is the first vinyl I've spun since 1985. This is also the first test of the phono pre-amp. I bought a used Anthem Int-1 integrated amp in 1996 or 1997. It didn't have the phono pre-amp option. Later (probably 2000ish), I bought the kit and a H/W engineer at Cisco installed it for me. The system sounds great, so he did a good job! Here is my complete analog system:

Joseph Audio RM7si Signature loudspeakers

Anthem Int-1 with phono pre-amp

VPI - HW-19 Junior turntable

Origin Live modified RB-250 tone arm

Reson Reca cartridge with new Goldring DV42 stylus]

Nice. I've always liked the classic looks of the Junior. I bet the RB-250 matches heavenly with the Reson. Enjoy!

Yes, it matches well. I'm very happy with my setup.

Ah, some original Josephs, I see. Cool. I still have my pair of RM25si from around 2000.

I've had mine since 1996 and have found no reason to "upgrade" them. Well, I am tempted by the new x-over but don't want to ship my speakers to NY.

Nice Ken! Too bad that plinth isn't Ebony. evil.gif

No problem. I'll just take pictures and measurements and then you can make me one. angel.gif

Folks, one of the things I bought was a "real" record cleaner, a Disk Doctor. It's been sitting unused for 12 years or so and most of the cleaning fluid has evaporated or leaked away. Should I just order more, or could any of you possibly recommend something better?

Ken is analog a convenient format when you're feeding your Bejeweled addiction? evil.gif

Also gotta put in a plug for the Peal Loupe 10x magnifying glass. I have a few different magnifiers and this one is by far the easiest to use when examining the stylus in setup or cleaning.

Ken is analog a convenient format when you're feeding your Bejeweled addiction? evil.gif

Also gotta put in a plug for the Peal Loupe 10x magnifying glass. I have a few different magnifiers and this one is by far the easiest to use when examining the stylus in setup or cleaning.

I'll be happy to answer the question if you'll suggest a record solution for a Disk Doctor machine and also suggest a stylus cleaning setup. grin.gif

I'll be happy to answer the question if you'll suggest a record solution for a Disk Doctor machine and also suggest a stylus cleaning setup. grin.gif

I like the DiscDoctor Miracle solution (dilute with deionized water), but haven't really tried anything else besides the free stuff that came with my Nitty Gritty and VPI. I use a Onzow Zerodust on the stylus, but find I almost never have to use it if vinyl has been wet cleaned. In which case I just use the dry stylus brush that came with my Zyx.

Thanks. I'll try to find my stylus brush or buy one. I also need to get some rice paper inner sleeves. Some of mine are in desperate shape from just sitting around for 30+ years.

To answer your question, I now really only play Diamond Mine in Bejeweled. It's perfect for my ADD. I usually keep an instance of Bejeweled minimized. Then, when I'm bored doing something on the computer, I just play a quick game of Diamond Mine and then I'm back to whatever I was doing.

Edited by guzziguy

Hey Ken,

glad to see you're up and running!

I also use the DiscDoctor solution. Haven't really tried all the current contenders though since I bought a huge supply a decade or two ago and I've hardly made a dent in it.

For me, rinsing off the cleaner is the key to getting really quiet surfaces (I always rinse twice). Of course, I'm pretty tolerant of tiny tics if I love the music.