NBC's total late-night meltdown

Voltron

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Conan much more then Jay, but I'm not seeing a huge reason for the animosity towards Jay for agreeing to keep his job and staff, unless there is some evidence that he had a real push behind the move of the tonight show. NBC is the obvious culprit.

Conan will be fine, no doubt.

I was surprised at how openly Jay slammed NBC, essentially laying the blame for all of it at their feet. Hard to argue with his logic though, it's not like his rating were slipping when they decided that it was Conan's turn. Also hard to argue that they are wrong to reinstate Jay in the Tonight Show timeslot although I'd argue they hardly gave Conan enough time to really settle into that role.

Sadly, it's a good commentary on what TV has become, an overly-micromanaged business where anything halfway original gets cut midway through a season or stuffed into a Friday night time slot where it's doomed to fail from day 1. At least that's how I see most of the major networks running things. I'm still waiting for CSI Parking Garage...

I like Conan much more then Jay, but I'm not seeing a huge reason for the animosity towards Jay for agreeing to keep his job and staff, unless there is some evidence that he had a real push behind the move of the tonight show. NBC is the obvious culprit.

Conan will be fine, no doubt.

I don't feel so bad for Conan anymore, he's about to wrap up a dealing paying him $40 million for leaving.
These. I believe the term is "golden parachute".

Don't get me wrong, I still feel a little bit bad for him for not getting the chance to succeed, but yeah, US$40M buys a lot of watches happy material acquisitions.

What sucks is that Conan will get $40M and his staff goes home with nothing. Unless he's very generous and spreads some of that around. Not to say that he won't want them when his no-compete clause ends, but from what I've read, many aren't too happy that his stand will leave them jobless. Needless to say, I can't argue with him or his decision. But he's certainly not the only one put out by this.

My understanding is that he is negotiating a package for his staff too:

Update: O’Brien Talks Held Up Over Staff Severance - Media Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com

And, in positive news, Conan also may keep Triumph the Insult Comic Dog and the Masturbating Bear:

Conan O'Brien Scores $32.5 Mil from NBC | TMZ.com

Uggh. Seriously, the only TV I watch is Conan and my sci-fi DVDs. This really screws up what little bit of down time I have.

Here is another link, but it is basically similar to n_maher's above: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/entertainment/2010847989_apustvlenoobrien.html?prmid=head_more

He beat me to the punch.

I have Netflix, Roku, and of course, Hulu. These are mostly for the wife. All I enjoy are old sci-fi shows (e.g., TNG, DS9, B5, etc) and Conan. Maybe Ill get some Carson DVDs and watch them. Jimmy Kimmel and Craig Ferguson are not bad either, but they are not as good as Coco. Ferguson would be great if they would update his website with a better media player; Worldwide Pants is behind the times in this regard.

BTW, anybody remember how Leno likes to do this ho-hum "ah shucks, I'm just an ordinary guy with no agent or lawyer. . . I just do things by handshakes" routine. Well, don't believe it. That guy is a fucking liar. Check this out:

Conan to get $32 million to walk from Tonight Show - NYPOST.com

This says that Leno has an ironclad, "brilliantly written" agreement that guarantees his production company a staggering $150 million if NBC Universal axes his flailing primetime show. No way a moron like Leno negotiates and writes his own ironclad, brilliantly written $150 million parachute clause. Never happening. He has a team of agents and lawyers. Everything this guy says is pure bullshit.