The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I'm leaving team Stax. :(

You can always come back when you're ready with an O2Mk2 and another amp.

Damn, the ESW9 and HD25-1 are that good? (brief comparo please?)

I like both but prefer the ESW9 a bit more. The ESW9 seems more refined to me and I like its greater air, separation and clarity. Even with an HD650 cable, the HD25-1 is still dark-sounding and relatively muddy compared to the ESW9. Its bass is stronger, and I think it is over-emphasized. It is also more bloated and boomy than the ESW9's. The HD25-1's isolation is a lot better.

So I was thinking that we really need an OII-capable tube amp in the $2000-$2500 range. I am seriously haunted by my OII/BHSE experience at Canjam, but I can't spend $4500 on a headphone amp.

So the question is: WHERE KGST??? :dance:

Yup. We need something like an oversized GES with better tubes which are also plentiful and cheap. Shall we say a quartet of ECC99's and GU50's for output duty. :P

Can someone tell me what the component on the bottom of this SRD-7 mk II schematic is? The one marked NL?

http://www.head-case.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=670&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=c283a489e2ba5798b80e3a0eca28f0da

Thanks!

EDIT: N/M, it's the light, isn't it...

Yup, it's the indicator light.

I would definitely be in the market for a $2000-$2500 tube stat amp that has the balls to drive the O2 well, even if it doesn't quite have the quality/refinement of the KGBH SE. So, if that's what the KGST is, I'd buy it.

I'm guessing it's hopeless to look for a non-SE KGBH on the used market, but I may be doing that in a few months anyway. Just have to sell everything non-O2 off first.

I would definitely be in the market for a $2000-$2500 tube stat amp that has the balls to drive the O2 well, even if it doesn't quite have the quality/refinement of the KGBH SE. So, if that's what the KGST is, I'd buy it.

I'm guessing it's hopeless to look for a non-SE KGBH on the used market, but I may be doing that in a few months anyway. Just have to sell everything non-O2 off first.

I believe Justin said in another thread there were only 15 Headamp Blue Hawaii's made.

Other than parts quality, what are the significant topology differences bet. BH and BHSE?

- New power supply design in a separate box

- New active current sources for the output tubes

- Some changes in parts values (Linear Systems LSK389 instead of the discontinued Toshiba 2SK389), one BJT transistor changed

There's a huge and constantly growing list of other improvements of the type that don't appear on the schematic

Enormous GOLD knobs?? Pretty please? Maybe a note on the front panel that says "The Blue Hawaii" (quotation marks included)?!??!

Since it was also a movie title, shouldn't it be " The 'Blue Hawaii' "? Or on a front panel of an amp would it be "The Blue Hawaii". Is this boomana's area of expertise?

Enormous GOLD knobs?? Pretty please? Maybe a note on the front panel that says "The Blue Hawaii" (quotation marks included)?!??!

What about the option for gold or silver screws? I'm sure that would get a ton of people excited (way too excited).

You also need a snazzier logo that is posted prominently on your amps.
I disagree, I like his logo.

That said, it would be cool if you could shape heat sinks or vents in your logo, like the Pathos Logos:

Pathos-Logos.jpg

or the MSB DAC:

msbblue.jpg

Or perhaps Bugs Bunny.

Zen question: if KG ever designed an ultimate amp, shouldn't it be called the Carl Stalling?