The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Yeah, I have the two matched quads, and the 3 spares, which was about $600 all in. May just recase the BH, fix the stinking high bias kickout on the right channel, then shootout with Vulcan and the Poor Man's amp (both 6s4a based). Marc has been forward thinking enough to allow Vulcan to use el34, so, if the parallel 6s4a doesn't have enough umpf, well, a another version may be in order. Or, may just use add the new psu(s) to BH for a little extra power reserve. No freaking shortage of 'opportunities'.

There is certainly a few ways to go from here though I may end up building that DC coupled DHT amp Kevin designed. Let's get these two BH, the Vulcan, Warthog and ES-1 up and first though.

No illusions about the Poor Man's (codename Warthog), but will be curious exactly what % performance of the top flyers can be delivered for $300 in parts, with $4 tubes, and easy enough for ANY DIYer to build. Once the circuit is stable, seriously, it is a 10 hour build, plus casing.

I'm more then ready to be impressed by the cheap pile-o-parts. I've got the PSU working here without the 10uf output caps (which are on the way) but I'm having the same massive AC issues as with the KGSS psu in the Egmont. There really shouldn't be 830VAC riding on the + side of the supply but I can't figure out what the fuck is wrong... :palm:

OHHHH - and for those of you wanting a true upgrade Stax socket, Marky-Marc has delivered. End of discussion. :prettyprincess:

I thought it was Marc-E-Marc? :P

Not making any references to a certain RSA amp, are you?:D And shouldn't this be better?

Us dissing Ray for selling overpriced crap to people that believe the BS he spews? No...no... you are mistaken sir. :rolleyes:

I'm more then ready to be impressed by the cheap pile-o-parts. I've got the PSU working here without the 10uf output caps (which are on the way) but I'm having the same massive AC issues as with the KGSS psu in the Egmont. There really shouldn't be 830VAC riding on the + side of the supply but I can't figure out what the fuck is wrong... :palm:

:o Again? OMG What do you do to the PSU's? Do you put them on a geyser and then drop them on the snow? Cryoing doesn't work that way ;D

There is certainly a few ways to go from here though I may end up building that DC coupled DHT amp Kevin designed. Let's get these two BH, the Vulcan, Warthog and ES-1 up and first though.

Yes, current projects first (been thinking they would be done months ago), but the DHT is the final frontier... now, where _are_ those $#@! shunt regulators? facepalm.png

This Warthog is a direct marketing shot, but not over the bow - broadside - though, admittedly, with different design goals. Ain't no one designing a bling case for it, but I'm gonna pimp one, Special Forces like.

You can just get a set of Quad II monoblocks, a pair of KT66 in each.

The EL34 and the 6CA7 are the same tube more or less. The 6CA7 is slightly beefed up version but they are identical in every way but not called the same name due to copyright issues at the time. This is not to be confused with the 6AC7 tube...

Quad -- possibly...I have to pull my GW Labs power amp out of mothballs and see what combination it takes...I seem to remember it taking a variety of power tubes, EL34 or KTxx somethings, don't remember...

I finally switched out the arc assembly on the O2. Let me tell you, that was a pain in the ass. But now my O2 smells all leathery instead of smoky. In retrospect, I probably should have sold this pair and waited to get a mint O2, but now everything is new, so I guess that's cool.

A question: I often see the O2 on stands hanging by the headband. Wouldn't it make more sense to hang the O2 by the arcs? It would seem that the stress would be better placed there than on the elastic of the headband. Am I missing something?

I finally switched out the arc assembly on the O2. Let me tell you, that was a pain in the ass. But now my O2 smells all leathery instead of smoky. In retrospect, I probably should have sold this pair and waited to get a mint O2, but now everything is new, so I guess that's cool.

A question: I often see the O2 on stands hanging by the headband. Wouldn't it make more sense to hang the O2 by the arcs? It would seem that the stress would be better placed there than on the elastic of the headband. Am I missing something?

I used to hang my O2 by the arcs because I'm careful with my stuff, but I don't think hanging them by the elastic puts enough stress to loosen it, so one way or the other is probably good.

Stax did change out the elastic on the Mk2/A's for a stronger material but my O2's have been on a stand every day since 2003 and the elastic isn't loose in any way, even in comparison to the new sets which I've bought over the years. Still it wouldn't hurt to use the arc's to support them.

I know, I know. But they still work together, right?

I'm still waiting for the revised Woo GES or else I'll go finding a used KGSS.

SRM-1 is not that bad with O2, it's not the best amp for it, but if you have a good source with a hot output it will work just fine. You will miss some of the finer details and bass slum that other amps give O2 but I don't mind SRM-1 with O2 at all.

I like SRM-1 more than any SRM-3XX amps I heard.