The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

The "problem" with the brown models is that they aren't very photogenic. They look much better in person.

People said that about Cherie Blair, I don't believe a fucking word of it.

Depends on the photographer tbh. Akwok took some fucking sweet pictures of his gear.

For that money I'd prefer the Koss 950s.

That is true, although there are several caveats to that, for me. One is the fact that most people say the E/90 is crap and the 580V pro bias isn't enough so I'd have to likely build my own amp with adjustable bias. Another is build quality.

Awww crap, I didn't need this one with the ISK in the crapper yet again. :palm: Still I'll be sure to take one for the team and give it a short, yet brutal review. :D Craig!!!!!

I don't know who Craig is but hell yes, do review it.:D

Hi there,

I could use your Stax expertise!

I'm running a dynamic rig with the ZD as amp. I *might* want to try a O2 rig, although I've spend way too much money already (pre-ordered a HD800, Alex is recabling my K1000 and still want to buy a F1).

I don't really want to venture into BHSE territory yet, but a KGSS might be a possibility. However, I like tubes! Would you think running the ZD as a pre-amp to a KGSS is a smart thing to do? Or would that be terrible?

I've asked Justin whether it is possible to get a KGSS without volume pots, he said it's doable (saves me $200 bucks too!).

Crack dealer? I saw that big, suspicious box with lots of little Stax boxes in it on route to you when I picked up the LNS. Confess! :D

It's much worse then crack... :o

:o:o:o

It's okay, Birgir, you can splurge every once in awhile to stave off your withdrawal symptoms. >:D

I can't resist a good deal or something I know people are looking for i.e. broken SR-202's for 60$ and SRD-7 Mk2's. Well that and spare parts, I needed some some SR-Omega arc assemblies to go with my NOS brown headbands. ;D

I'm running a dynamic rig with the ZD as amp. I *might* want to try a O2 rig,

Haha, fancy running into a fellow ZD user in this thread.

I've owned a ZD since Jan. 2008. It's a very good amp and drives low or hi impedance headphones well, AT, Grado, K701, Senns or Sony.

But I don't use it often, because I usually listen to electrostats. I think an O2 + KGSS would easily compete with a ZD system. Even though it is more expensive, I think the KGSS is an excellent value compared to the 007tII or 727. I haven't heard a 717. If you have the budget to go for a better amp than a KGSS, I think you'll be very close to being "done." You might even find the dynamics + ZD superfluous, like I have.

I sold the KGSS after getting an Aristaeus. The Aristaeus definitely drives the HE90 and SR-Omega better than the O2's, but at the time I thought it did as good a job as the KGSS with the O2's. I put the KGSS up for sale at a local shop and let prospective buyers try it and compare against a 007tII. It sold after only 4 days.

Now I'm using a SP ES-1 with the O2Mk1 and O2Mk2. It is more dynamic than the Aristaeus and a much better match with the O2's. I would expect a BH or BHSE to be at least as good as the ES-1. It's a bit difficult to imagine anything better.

You're probably right, but it's soooo difficult to give up on my dynamics rig! I'm afraid I'll miss the K1000! Plus the tubes, of course... And with the HD800 coming (soon?). Choices, choices.

That's why I was thinking to use the ZD as a pre-amp to the KGSS, just like running the ZD as pre-amp to the FirstWatt F1, making it some kind of a hybrid amp. Don't know if it's a good idea though...

I've heard the O2 out of a 007tII before with a Benchmark DAC, CEC transport with golden ICs and thought it to sound very warm. I only listened to it briefly though.

I'd wished that someone would organise a meet in NL again with some high end stuff!

I've been doing some digging and the new Limited SR-404 uses sheep leather earpads (only where they come in contact with the head like the SR-007A/Mk2) and the cable is 6N silver plated, soft annealed copper with thick silver plating. Needless to say I'm buying one... ;D

I've been doing some digging and the new Limited SR-404 uses sheep leather earpads (only where they come in contact with the head like the SR-007A/Mk2)

Ha, so now there are two Stax models with real leather earpads.

The pleather pads are actually not bad, I think the 4070, Airbow SR-SC1 and SR-007 pads are quite smooth and comfortable.

But real leather is real leather.