The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

46 minutes ago, insanity said:

Thanks that is a very interesting fact to know. Do you have a dust free clean room to do your work or how do you prevent dust from entering the drivers?

No, I don't have a clean room.  I always spray paint my stators and it helps a lot with the noises.

Here is my DIY version compares with the real JF.

JFandClone.jpg

Edited by chinsettawong
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, mypasswordis said:

Gorgeous work! I don't have access to my old PS2 Float at the moment to look over but hope you don't mind if I shoot you a few questions in a couple weeks. :) Quick obvious questions, though: what is the stator spacing and bias? Is it the same as the drivers in the new JF model?

Thanks.  I make these headphones to use with Stax compatible amps.  The spacer thickness is 0.5 mm and bias voltage is 570V.

• Like 2

Today i got a set of srm 1/mk2 with lambda signature ,which is my second pair of lambda sig.I once saw a guy (pkxxxx) on forum who claims that lambda sigs with pvc dustscreen and silk-like dustscreen sound different and i thought it was a joke .but when i compare the two today ,they indeed sounds different.

the lambda with pvc dustscreen sounds more dynamic with more treble peak while the other one slightly sounds dull and smoother vocal ,somewhat brings out the emotions.

illusions? maybe

P.S. that guy is infamous in stax forums in mainland china

Well there never was a Lambda Signature without the silk back dust covers.  In different regions there were different versions though, often run after their official production had stopped.  Such as the Lambda Pro New, Pro Classic (both in Germany) etc. but they often used other drivers so it was just as sales trick. 

I was going to but then I tried to figure out why I should respond.

If someone does not understand that an electrostatic amp is ALWAYS going to cost more than a dynamic amp due to the quantity of parts and the voltages involved, there is no hope.

and remember that any of the designs I have released ( 3 of them) that use the emission labs 20B tubes are double or triple the parts cost due to the tubes, makes a T2 seem cheap.

That's exactly the issue, you can take some opamp crap or worse yet, a shitty discrete design and build it for pennies.  Add to this just how little grasp people have on what makes the amps tick and it is a recipe for disaster.  Then we have the "experts" which are even worse, utterly clueless idiots with no idea what is going on. 

6 hours ago, spritzer said:

Who cares what the fucktards on HF are doing? 

Can I put a "mostly" somewhere in there? Most of the posters on HF are indeed fucktards, obsessing over which cable 'sounds' better or some other asinine horseshit, BUT some of them have been informed and helpful for me. There are nuggets of goodness hidden in the mass of dross and flotsam of HF.

Worst part of HF for me is the heavy hand of the admins/moderators. Jude / Amos etc run the site as a cynical profit making venture. Heaven help you if you slag off a site sponsor in even a mild way. Deletions and bans will be coming your way before your fingers have left the keyboard.

At the risk of turning this into a shitstorm, I'll say that there is some merit in fighting the good fight at HF. Its size and visibility makes it a source that a lot of people turn to first, and not having knowledgeable folks on HF that can speak with the voice of reason does others a disservice even if they don't realize it.

However, don't take this as me pointing the accusatory finger and saying "why aren't you helping." I certainly gave up on it years ago (not that I had much to add in the first place), and if you don't want to, well, fuck 'em. Unfortunately...

I have periods when the fucktardary gets too much I go dark on the forums. PM is where HF still has some value for me. I have sold a shitload of gear and had a bunch of fun via PM. Not even the fascist fucks that run HF moderate the PMs (or at least not mine so far) so you can say whatever you need to say with your buddies and enjoy yourself.

Getting a little bit back on topic (sort of) PriceJapan.com is still unresponsive. I placed my order in April, had a brief update email in June, and since then NADA. No comms whatsoever, apart from a site update stating that work will be resumed from August 8th. That didn't happen. Site is still up and taking orders and money, so I can only hope that Kaneda can return to running the business soon, otherwise my only recourse is to launch a PayPal dispute, which I don't want to do.

For those looking to purchase some Stax gear, I can only suggest avoiding PriceJapan.com until service returns to normal.

3 minutes ago, johnwmclean said:

I have a bad gut feeling about PriceJapan somewhat reminiscent of Lil’ Knights sudden departure.

My order was for a pair of TA300Bs - around $1,700 USD with postage - much, much worse for the poor sods that ordered Accuphase amps or SR-009s etc. Those folks are out for several times as much. Instead of the 300B tubes, I think I am going to be on the receiving end of a family sized FUBAR cornholing with sand and broken glass lubrication.

Pity, as the TA300Bs are just stunning.

4 hours ago, DonkeyBalls said:

Heaven help you if you slag off a site sponsor in even a mild way. Deletions and bans will be coming your way before your fingers have left the keyboard.

I used to be list admin for the XJ Jaguar list on www.jag-lovers.org.  It had about 8000 members internationally. There were a number of parts, car modification and other vendors on the list, including Jaguar themselves. If someone slagged one of them off there were instant threats of a legal suit against the admin (me). I stepped out - I just did not need that level of threat.

In fairness to HF (yeah - I know...) the list owners have to deal with precisely this, and will, or ought, to have told advertisers how they deal with what could be interpreted as libel.

• Like 1

I would rather say that the HF mods were complicit in many ways, certainly when it comes to the Single Power mess.  Now it's just profit driven to the max and anything that stands in the way of that will be removed.  Who cares if people get screwed, there will be more suckers anyway. 

What really annoys me about HF is that nobody actually helps.  Sure people ramble on about stuff they read or some half baked theories (let's sorb everything!!!!!) but when somebody comes with an actual question that matters?  Nope...nothing...

• Like 1

I have asked for, and received, informed feedback on the modded HE6 vs Utopia comparison and on the Utopia vs Ether Flow. The feedback was from users with experience of both headphones - not some 6 Moons circle jerk or the usual "everything made me jizz until my scrotum imploded" HeadFi "review". If you ask the right question in the right thread and can muster the energy to filter out the dickheads you can get some value out of HF. It takes a bit of work and dealing with the fuckwits makes me tired, but it can be done. In some perverse way it is kinda satisfying to extract something useful out of HF despite it being overrun with assholes and administered by cunts.