HDTV Suggestions

tkam

We just got a 46" Samsung (UN46F6300) which we like. It has Netflix, HBOGo, Plex, and Amazon Prime built in (among other stuff) so we were able to do away with a separate Roku. Wifi seems a bit spotty, but running an ethernet cord works fine (and we had to run one to the AT&T box anyway). It was well under your budget, too.

I am rescinding this recommendation due to the network falling apart, and Samsung being very unhelpful. Amazon has agreed to take it back, and we are deciding whether to keep it (the TV part works fine, and it is still price competitive) or get something else instead. The 50" ST60 is looking pretty good -- depends on whether to go better, or go cheaper as it isn't like AT&T or Netflix deliver content worthy of anything that good.

Nate, what did you decide?

Does anyone flush out their water heater every 6 months to a year? I hear that really extends the life of them. I've done it twice so far on our new one (old one took a dump), so at least I have that base covered.

My old indirect fired tank was never flushed in its 20+ years of operation.

Was only replaced when I switched to a heat- pump type water heater after upgrading our ancient oil boiler to a natural gas unit.

• 2 weeks later...

To update my stupid story, we bought a Samsung (6300 or something), and the only reason we chose it was that it had all the smart stuff we wanted built in (the usual stuff + HBOGo), which meant less clutter. But the networking never worked, either wireless or wired. After some delightful conversions with Samsung customer service, I sent it back. Truth is, it is a fine TV, and there was no real premium for the smart stuff, but I was just frustrated by it. So we went to BestBuy and the nicest looking LED in our price range that was not a Samsung was a Sharp. And, they had a Sharp dumb TV that was cheaper than the smart one we saw and that we thought was otherwise identical. We took it home, and really didn't like it. It turns out that it is not as nice as the smart one we saw in the store. So we took it back, too, and bought the Panny ST60. It is very nice -- way nicer than we need, so we are pretty happy with it.

We recently got a 55" Samsung active 3D LED HDTV without the smart tv functions, because our Sony blu-Ray and Apple TV already have all the smart online features we need. Model: UN55FH6030FXZA

I wanted a plasma, but this was on sale for several hundred less than a similarly sized plasma. And the glasses were only $19 each, although they're not rechargeable for that price (good for about 40 hours on a set I'm told).

We've been really happy with it, and now I don't regret skipping the smart version. The picture is awesome, although I did have to turn down the De-judder and De-blur effects a bit so movies look more like film than soap opera.

The one thing that baffles me is the lack of picture in picture. Every large TV we've bought in the last 20 years has had that feature. I'm not too upset about the lack, because I'd only use that option a couple of times a month.

Picture in a picture diminished in usefulness drastically when the tuners moved external.

Our 60" Panasonic rear projection LCD from 2006 (theater room in basement) allows us to do split screen between two different inputs, although I think it's about a 60/40 split. Our girls would often play a movie on one side of the screen with audio via 5.1 receiver, while my son would play a game with audio via headphones plugged into the TV at the same time. A few times I'd watch football while my son did a game on one side. It' same neat feature sometimes.