Post a picture of your first HF rig

spritzer

No pics of the rig back then but it was "store bought" . The year was 1995, the Senn HD580 was getting a lot of press and after much debating I picked the original Xcans over the AudioAlchemy HPA1 to drive them. I really loved that rig and probably would have continued on my blissful ignorance had I not restored the Leak and heard Quads. Good memories, thanks Spritzer..dB

My setup prior to my first HF meet (with a postcount of 2, and I got to see an orpheus!)

post-548-12951156637139_thumb.jpg

The Portable rig, lossless flac, and noise cancelling sennheisers to make the trip to Tulsa tolerable.

post-548-12951156628725_thumb.jpg

Setup prior to hosting my first meet

post-548-12951156620618_thumb.jpg

post-548-12951156642847_thumb.jpg

Look who was due to attend! Where are they now?

post-548-12951156650041_thumb.jpg

Pre Head-fi, the pads on my MB Quart QP 55Xs, which had served me well for around 15 years (despite me readily reading max volume on whatever Mac I owned at the time with them) were dying, as can been seen in this picture. Confused about the insane range of ATs available in the electronics stores, I decided to register...big mistake.

DSC_0014.png

My first rig was a pair of ALO K701s (purchased second-hand) with an LD MKV. Realising amping wasn't enough, I bought an Apogee Duet locally, despite it being overpriced here. The result was :palm:, because the amp was lousy and the headphones didn't entirely suit my musical tastes, though I didn't know it well enough at the time.

DSC_0123.jpg

But the picture is pretty, if nothing else. :cool:

I don't keep a pic of my first HiFi rig, that was about 30 years ago, but I've found pics of some of its components:

1225r.jpg

Dual 1225 turntable. Don't ask about the cart :palm:

Vieta%2BA215%2Bimg001.jpg

VIETA (Spanish brand) integrated amplifier with phono input. Mine wasn't this exact model, but looked a bit similar. You get the idea though.

MARANTZ%205010B_CASS_1sm_small.jpg

Marantz (Superscope era) cassette deck. Again mine wasn't exactly this very same model, but came quite close with the big VU meters, phones out, mic inputs...

No luck finding the speakers, they were an obscure brand named "Jackson". They were 2 way monitors, not exactly "bookshelf" but not very big either. They served well for 3 or 4 years until I managed to burn the coils :palm: Hey, I was 17 or so and we were partying ;D

My first headphones were closed, with coiled wire and a volume pot on the right cup. I can't even remember the brand, but I can remember they weren't good at all, I much preferred listening through the speakers.

Edited by Torpedo
forgot the phones

I first rig when it came to SQ was an old Sony Discman with Sony Fontopia earbuds back in the mid 90's. I didn't know anything except stock earbuds were major fail, so I saved my allowance for a few weeks and dropped $60 for the Fontopia's and loved them to death. When I went to college, I didn't use headphones as I just blasted my Logitech Z-560's all the time (then upgraded to Z-680, which were subsequently sold when I got into the headphone game).

First rig around here was back in 2006. Sennheiser HD-595 with a Corda Aria.

o60945274.jpg

My first rig outside of the portable CD players and various $5-$20 headphones bought at small town Walmarts or drug stores before head-fi was the iPod shuffle 1gb 1st gen or Echo Indigo IO and UE Super.fi 5 pro. My first rig after head-fi was an iMod, ALO super cotton imod dock, Corda Move, and Triple.fi 10 pro. Here are some pictures I have from recently after hitting the abyss that is the head-fi portable forums:

LISAIIIPortablefront.jpgFindthegearlabeled.jpg

It was the LISA III and graduating from college that thankfully helped me eschew the transportable toys.

This was around 2000 - 2001 in my office at work:

Alessandro MS-1

MS1.jpg

Creek OBH-11 with SE PSU

CreekOBH11b.jpg

Some Teac Mini CD Player on closeout (probably not this one)

TEACCD.jpg

CAL Gamma DAC

CalGamma.jpg

Still have the MS-1's and wish I still had the CAL Gamma. The Creek pretty much sucked as did the Teac's analog output.

Edited by morphsci

Don't have the pics of my actual gear, but the first "wow" moments I had came when I was around 14 and saved birthday money up to get this rig.

Image07.jpg

with

ppjr.jpg

Sony D-465 + Koss PortaPro Jr. with a player with a 10 hour battery life. I remember getting 8$/pair Energizer Lithium AAs from camera stores to get 18-20 hours. That was great until my brother "borrowed" it then somehow wound up in police impound, and my awesome-at-the-time rig was torn apart.

In 2001 I jumped to SR-80s, and I think that carried me into Head-Fi, and I've actually gone through quite a bit of gear since. First amp was a Xin Supermacro v1 w/switches which came around right before HF-1s came out, so I guess 4g iPod -> SM1 -> HF-1 was the first "kinda real" headphone rig I had.

**BRENT**