Briefcases, Bags, and the Murse

The Monkey

just checked, the TB Smart Alec holds 26 liters, compared to the Synapse 25 (25 liters) and Synapse 19. The Synapse 19 doesnt fit a 15" MBP properly - it can get in there, but the corners of the MBP press against the zippers. 

is it in the flat dimensions that the Synapse 25 appears later than a Smart Alec?

from TB: 

Synapse 25: Dimensions: 20" x 13.4" x 9", holds 25 liters

Smart Alec: Dimensions: 18.5" x 11.75" x 7.75", holds 26 liters

Edited by justin

Those numbers seem a bit strange.  

I should clarify that I have never owned the Synapse 25.  I was thinking that the Synapse 25 (from the specs and what I read) was bigger than the Smart Alec but then I started looking at pictures and they don't seem that different.  In fact, here the Smart Alec seems a bit taller (not even counting the extra bag on top of the SA).  

a0dfbdb3-4383-4dc2-8d62-dae69f38d1eb_zps

I've had a very good experience using this as my daily work bag. I ride to work sometimes, hopefully will ride to work more often. Pockets for a laptop and iPad, the laptop space is well isolated and suspended, lots of other pockets. My last ogio lasted many years of riding to work 3-4 days per week, and daily work use.

http://ogio.com/backpacks/renegade-rss

Ogio Renegade RSS 17 Laptop Backpack

Edited by jvlgato

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch.  What nylon bag -- not interested in leather bags -- should I have gotten that would be worthy of theft and explosive deterrents?  

Red Oxx Metro  If Metro not big enough, get the CPA  PLus, Red Oxx has HC Travel Team logo on file, so you can get that patch.

91095-Red-Oxx-Metro-Travel-Nylon-compute

I am just picking on Tom Bihn users, it is a Red Oxx thing.  >:D

Nice to see the Oxx cop on the job.   :)

Edited by agile_one

I do have the Red Oxx laptop bag but I never actually used it.  I tend to want briefcases to be a bit better looking than the utilitarian Red Oxx variant.  I do really like all of my Filson bags.

Just funnin' with you, Al.   :)

Soon enough, Shelly, Mike, and Dinny will be here telling you how great the Bihn choice was.  It's all just a matter of choice, taste, and what works best for the person using.  

<edit> You'd look stylin' in Cannes, Park City, or even Monte Carlo. </edit>

Edited by agile_one

• 1 month later...

My Empire Builder continues to serve me well, thanks again for all the recommendations.

I wanted to throw something up quick on a new camera bag I'm using, the ThinkTank Retrospective 50.  I wanted something that would let me carry a DSLR and my work stuff on a daily basis.  

It's probably a little larger than what I needed. A "30" would probably have been big enough, but I also wanted it to double up when I wanted to grab a few pro zooms, a flash, and maybe a second body.  It'll swallow that gear and more.

For now I keep a body with a lens and a second lens in the center, my portable music stuff, cables, and chargers in the outside pouches.  There's a spot for a laptop and/or iPad in the back.  The front has some easy to get to organized pockets for cards, pens, batteries, etc... Basically I carry everything I want for work + camera and still have a ton of room left over.  The velcro closures are well thought out and have a "quiet" mode.  It's not a super flashy "I'm a camera" bag, but it's not stealth either.   The shoulder strap is wide and comfortable. I can wear it over a single shoulder or across the body.  It's even got a rain cover, which is pretty darned handy here in the UK.

I think it's a great bag and certainly has me convinced ThinkTank makes good stuff.

tt50_zpsdafd1ca0.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I would just get a regular backpack and use a laptop sleeve (like Dan said). I would wholeheartedly recommend the Tom Bihn backpacks. I have been carrying the Tom Bihn Smart Alec nearly everyday for 3 years and it is still in nearly perfect condition. I tried out a Synapse 19 and it was a little too small for my needs but depending on what she is carrying, that or the larger synapse may work well. Both Synapse and Smart Alec are very light to start with and have very comfortable straps. The zippers are also really great and the backpacks are very water resistant. The synapse has more organization whereas the Smart Alec basically has one large compartment.

I tried the Red Oxx backpack and found it (mostly the straps) to be extremely uncomfortable and very heavy even empty.