What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Six grapes is just fine port for mixers. I have had it last for several weeks without too much degradation - I would not fridge it. Not sure about sherry, would look for others advise (but I would treat it the same and see what happens)...

Cheers,

Mikey

Rahr and Sons Winter Warmer Bourbon Barrel Aged Ale (Forth Worth, TX brew) and Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Grand Cru. Both very good!

(I didn't have a camera with me so I stole these pics off that internet thingy.)

img_0500.jpg

S30Brewersgrandcru.jpg

Edited by shellylh

Darkside

* 2 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Plymouth brand

* 1 ounce Barolo Chinato

* 3 dashes Peychaud bitters

* Twist of lime peel

* 1 whole star anise (optional)

Directions:

Fill a mixing glass two-thirds full with ice, then add the gin, Barolo Chinato and bitters. Stir vigorously for 30 seconds, then strain into a cocktail (martini) glass. Twist the lime peel over the drink, then drop it in, along with the star anise, if desired.

web.jpg?ver=12992925260001

web.jpg?ver=12992925290001

Cuba Libre

2 oz rum

1/2 lime, juiced and retained

Cola

Combine over ice and served.

This is a very good Cuba Libre recipe if you want a lighter true cocktail, but if nothing else I like to add bitters to the usual recipe:

CUBA LIBRE

Adapted by Isidro Gutiérrez for Town at the Chambers Hotel

3 ounces Coca-Cola

1 ounce rum

1/2 ounce gin

2 dashes bitters

1/4 lime

Dash of club soda

Mix the Coca-Cola, rum and gin in a highball glass. Add the bitters, and squeeze in the juice from the lime. Top off with the club soda to add bubbles.

Yield: 1 serving.

Thanks Al! The ginger and botanicals from the Fentimans perhaps serves similar purpose here, because this really works!

This and the S&C old fashioned should be on a certain person's try list :)

Oh and you all need to try the Savoy Manhatten No. 1

Edited by luvdunhill

Taste test between Bell's Hopslam and Terrapin Rye Squared. Rye Squared puts the Hopslam to shame. Stone Ruination is even better I think. Its making me look forward to trying out the DFH Squall IPA soon.

Never had the Hopslam but I like me some Terrapin. It's nice having it local and easily available everywhere.

Nice Cuba Libre Marc. Take it you like the Fentimans.

That is an awesome picture Al. I need to pick up some Mexican coke and try your Cuba Libre recipe.

Decided to finish off the Rendevous rye in a Brooklyn Cocktail

2 oz Rendevous Rye

3/4 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth

2 tsp Amer Boudreau

2 tsp Luxardo Maraschino

Stir, strain and into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange twist or cherry; dealers choice.

IMG_0085.jpg

Ummm, I really like this cocktail.

Just cracked open a Growler from Stone Brewery.

Highway 78 Scotch Ale

Edwood_StoneBreweryGrowler_Highway78_01.jpg

Too bad they only last a week, tops. I'd stock up more.

Actually, more like too bad Stone Brewery isn't closer to where I live. 2 hrs drive is not too bad though.

Edited by Edwood

Ummm, I really like this cocktail.

Agreed. Have you tried the Creole or this one, which is between the Creole and the above:

NIRVANA COCKTAIL

2 oz Rittenhouse 100 proof bonded rye

1 oz Amer Picon

¼ oz maraschino liqueur

¼ oz Benedictine

stir and strain

garnish with orange twist if desired

Okay calling for advice from the wise mixologists here: if I were to buy one gin for general purpose drinking and mixing, which should I try to procure?

I'd vote for Tanqueray. You can get it in a 375 mL so it ends up not being a huge investment. I still think it is "the dry gin". YMMV, as I'm still a young apprentice in this art.