What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Swans have a new album? Fucking hell!

Me: been listening to Synthetica non-stop in the car, gonna try to see them next month, I think this might be my favourite album of theirs since Old World Underground, Where Are You Now.

But I'll be listening to the new Swans as soon as I can find it. Wait, what? They reformed? Fucking hell!

I don't know, man, I don't really dig the more scat based improvisational stuff like most of "The Seer" -- despite my reputation, I really don't listen to "weird for the sake of weird" -- but I really like other portions, like "The Avatar".

That said, I really like it when they get all tantric on the longer songs, like "Apostate".

I’m a Swans newbie void any preconceptions from their past music history, “The Seer” is my first exposure, as a free standing album I enjoyed it’s creativity, I now look forward to delving into their previous albums.
Oh holy shit, are you in for a ride. I'd recommend working your way backwards in time, I.E.:

My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky

Soundtracks for the Blind

The Great Annihilator

Love of Life

White Light from the Mouth of Infinity

etc.

They...uh...they're kind of all over the place. From neo-folk to psychedelia to experimental to drone...there were even flashes of the style that would be Angels of Light -- probably my favorite descriptor of a musical genre ever, "Death Folk".

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I will still listen to their entire album, as I believe in at least trying to hear it as the artists intended (unlike King Crimson, which I will edit out their improvisational stuff that I don't like), and I believe it yields an entirely different listening experience than listening to it edited.

We saw Sonny Landreth in a very tiny venue just down the street from us here. Nice concert, really good music. The only dissappointment was that there were strong rumors swirling that his buddy Eric Clapton, who was in town for The Slow Hand tour, would make a surprise visit. Didn't happen, but still a nice concert!

^ One of his best, probably his third best overall.

Me: Karcius -- discovered this in the latest (American -- we're usually one behind Britain) issue of Classic Rock Presents Prog.

EDIT: scratch that, now listening to The new Pineapple Thief (discovered while looking around for a tracklist for the compilation CD that came with that issue of Classic Rock Presents Prog magazine for the name of that Karcius track).