What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Trying to ascertain what all the fuss is about.
You mean, besides the fact that it sounds like nothing else ever or since? It is the musical equivalent of Pluto. Or perhaps Haley's Comet is a better analogy.

Me: My Bloody Valentine, Loveless -- I have to admit, I haven't listened to this in a few years, so am listening to it afresh. Yes, there's nothing new there -- in terms of individual elements -- great raucous distorted guitars, wall of sound, looping, some heavy whammy bar action (or perhaps it's done in post), subdued airy female vocals, but the combination is what makes it sound fresh. It's like he took the most unlistenable moments in the studio, looped it at some of the most awkward moments, and then cast some pixie dust around until it was musical. It takes a carefully brandished combination of naivete and studio wizardry to accomplish this, and a certain oblivion to expectation, which most people will never achieve. Slowdive's Just for a Day is easily my favourite shoegaze album proper, but this is by itself on another plane entirely. Loveless:Pumking::Just for a Day:Schlafly

Spirit of Talk Talk -- quite possibly the best tribute album I've ever heard, but probably should hear first before buying, because it's not as varied as any other various artists album I've heard. They very carefully stayed towards the more sombre side of Talk Talk, which is made all the more obvious from the bonus tracks.