And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Finally got my tires installed, yay!
So apparently, they only installed two of my tires. :palm:

I didn't notice. :palm:

Made an appointment to install the other two on Tuesday. I've driven thousands of miles on these tires, which pisses me off. And thousands more on the ones that were almost bald. So: the entire winter. :palm:

:palm:

They tried to tell me that Tirerack screwed up and didn't deliver them all at the same time, but UPS tracking says they all showed up there and were signed for at the same time.

I just hope I don't have a flat with one of the two remaining tires between now and then, because they're going to owe me a tow if I do.

I'm trying to get a free alignment out of it -- I paid for all four wheels being aligned when I bought them, but the understanding was after the tires were installed. I don't have the receipt in front of me, but I'm curious how many thousand miles I put on them between now and then. I went to Pennsylvania twice since then. Fortunately, I don't put no as many miles as I did when I was beer-hunting more regularly, I think I'm going to be happy with it as it is, as long as they make it right.

I know I've had at least one oil change and tire rotation (WTF?) since then, so it's been at least 3,000 miles.

Wow, sometimes ignorance is bliss, but it could have been farging dangerous here! Glad nothing happened, though of course the resulting wear on the other tires probably is not good.

Al: JUST paid closer attention to your new avatar, now I've had Monty Python in my head the last 1/2 hour.....thanks :lol:

Edited by skullguise

They didn't comment on the bald tires when they rotated them? :blink:
They were all bald the same amount of wear, but yeah, WTF? How did they know which tires to change? Why didn't they recommend changing the other two tires?

Also, remember, this is from the guy who put 89,000 miles on 50,000 mile tires. They actually still have some tread left on 'em. I may have been able to put 100,000 miles on them. I think it bears repeating: I am not hard on my tires. You can say a lot of other things about my driving, but that's not one of them.

Wow, sometimes ignorance is bliss, but it could have been farging dangerous here! Glad nothing happened, though of course the resulting wear on the other tires probably is not good.

Al: JUST paid closer attention to your new avatar, now I've had Monty Python in my head the last 1/2 hour.....thanks :lol:

Sorry, Todd, but Knuckles posted it in the slower forum and all I could hear in my head was John Cleese repeating, No. 1, The Larch. The Larch. The Larch. :D

^indeed.

I was just getting ready to leave and go to see the Giants game with my daughter when the power went out in my office. It cycled back on quickly but then we received this email:

"Due to a blown transformer, the building representatives advised us not to use the elevators, and to use the stairs until they begin to work properly."

Good advice. I already crashed in one here without a blown transformer. Well, 22 floors of stairs, here I come. :palm:

Played with my new brad nailer. So, it it not okay to keep things full of compressed air all the time? I've heard Jude does this. Should it be drained daily? Also, the manual mentions keeping the tool lubed, but no instructions on what really to do and where on the gun.. Also, I don't get how the pressure adjustment on the tool works, it seems to not have much range or not work... or something. I just used the regulator on the compressor...

That said, I got it to nail just fine. Cool stuff.

Also, put the wheels on the base of the speaker and am about to glue and nail the first piece!

Edited by luvdunhill

Just spoke with one of you on the phone, and the claim was made that tirerack screwed up -- according to the UPS tracking, all four tires were delivered and signed for at the same time. I do think you owe me that alignment. I was otherwise very happy with your service, but this puts a big old damper on things. I don't think I'll be back unless you make things right -- giving me that alignment will make things right.
I will be out of the shop until Tuesday, but since I should be the person to help you could we take this up on Tuesday?
I have yet to send this:
Yeah, that's fine, but just so you know, the more I think about this, the unhappier I get.

I had 89,000 miles on 50,000 mile tires at the time of the change.

I went through the winter with the old tires.

I've added 10,000 miles since then -- so the two new ones have ~10,000 miles on them, and the old ones have almost 100,000 miles on them.

I specifically got these tires so that I could rotate all four of them, and so that they would wear out at more or less the same time. That is no longer the case.

One of my lawyer friends thinks you owe me four new tires, rather than just two. Personally, I don't want to wait for the other two (are you going to comp me a tow if it blows between now and then?), but at this point, I think you owe me more than just another free alignment.

Thoughts? Edits? Additions? Shovels? Scorpions?

The stairwell was pitch black so I chose the dark and potentially malfunctioning elevator. It was a smooth ride without issue other than darkness.

Dusty, I would be specific and say that you understand tires that wear unevenly are less efficient and will nit last as long. They blew it and have no excuse. I would drop the tow comment given that you have been driving without a problem. I would also refrain from saying "another free alignment" because you paid for a four wheel alignment and have yet to receive what you paid for. And scorpions.

Well, they did give me an alignment, they just didn't do it after the tire change, which is what I asked for. The alignment is pretty good right now, I just wonder what it's going to be like after the tire change. But they should do it.

And I won't say it was without issue -- I've been sliding around and hydroplaning a lot lately. I looked, and didn't see anything, but that doesn't mean they aren't about to blow.

So:

Yeah, that's fine, but just so you know, the more I think about this, the unhappier I get.

- I had 89,000 miles on 50,000 mile tires at the time of the change.

- I went through the winter with the old tires.

- I've added 10,000 miles since then -- so the two new ones have ~10,000 miles on them, and the old ones have almost 100,000 miles on them. (That's twice what they were rated for.)

- I specifically replace all four tires at the same time because they are more efficient and last longer when it's done that way. So you've essentially shortened their lifespan as well.

One of my lawyer friends thinks you owe me four new tires, rather than just two. Personally, I don't want to wait for the other two, but at this point, I think you owe me more than just the installation of the remaining two tires (at a discount) and the outstanding alignment (at no cost to me).

...?

Played with my new brad nailer. So, it it not okay to keep things full of compressed air all the time? I've heard Jude does this. Should it be drained daily? Also, the manual mentions keeping the tool lubed, but no instructions on what really to do and where on the gun.. Also, I don't get how the pressure adjustment on the tool works, it seems to not have much range or not work... or something. I just used the regulator on the compressor...

That said, I got it to nail just fine. Cool stuff.

Also, put the wheels on the base of the speaker and am about to glue and nail the first piece!

I don't know anyone who drains their compressors daily, at least around here. The reason for it is to drain any moisture that has accumulated inside the tank, the air pressure itself isn't the problem. Even with the humidity here in Georgia, it still takes a few days for any to build up, unless you're using it constantly all day.

I can't help you with lubing your tool though, Steve's your man for that. I don't have any sort of nailgun so I'm not familiar with maintenance on them.

I can't fully understand how a shop would align your car before installing new tires, unless there is some form of gross miscommunication that happened at the shop, which would be their fault. The proper questions should have been asked by the service writer before any work was done to the car.

Your reply draft looks to be in good form, but I would seek further legal council just to make sure it's firm enough.smile.gif

Got an idea I've been working on approved by my boss today, meaning more money for me, but not too much more work (so I say to myself now), then went to see Cirque Dreams Illumination. I thought it would be a bit cheesy after seeing the official youtube clip, but I really enjoyed it, and the acrobatics were amazing. Today was a really good day.

This is not easy, but I'm going to play this one straight.

Marc you simply need to buy a bottle of pneumatic tool oil (Lowe's, Home Depot, Etc...) and put about 5 drops into the nipple that you attach the air hose to. Just hold the tool upright and squeeze gently, or else you'll put too much oil in. The oil just helps to keep the moisture in the compressed air from damaging the tool. In your case you probably can oil the tool every other use, unless you go for an extended period of time without using the gun.

I'll look at the adjustment on the gun next time I'm up.

I empty my compressors tank once a week. And Ryan is absolutely correct about moisture being the issue.

Closed my office for Good Friday and spent the day hanging with the family. Then went to the Apple store to get my sons iTouch repaired. I hate you all for posting in the thread about all the cool MB Air stuff so I am now planning committed to buy an iPad, MB Air and other iStuff for my "office".

I still haven't figured out the rest of the Easter dinner menue, I guess I will just leave it at the five wine course and let everyone else fend for their easter rabbit lovin' selves. Works for me. :blink:

This is not easy, but I'm going to play this one straight.

Marc you simply need to buy a bottle of pneumatic tool oil (Lowe's, Home Depot, Etc...) and put about 5 drops into the nipple that you attach the air hose to. Just hold the tool upright and squeeze gently, or else you'll put too much oil in. The oil just helps to keep the moisture in the compressed air from damaging the tool. In your case you probably can oil the tool every other use, unless you go for an extended period of time without using the gun.

I'll look at the adjustment on the gun next time I'm up.

I empty my compressors tank once a week. And Ryan is absolutely correct about moisture being the issue.

Is this good practice in general for pneumatic tools? I use the air wrench in my dad's auto shop a lot, wondering if I should be doing that for it too.

Well, they did give me an alignment, they just didn't do it after the tire change, which is what I asked for. The alignment is pretty good right now, I just wonder what it's going to be like after the tire change. But they should do it.

Isn't pretty much a requirement to do an alignment after installing new tires? I've never heard of someone getting tires professionally installed and not having a balance and alignment being part of the deal. Is the choice between them charging for it, or them not doing it at all? It seems like professional malpractice if they are willing to send you out the door without an alignment. A free alignment ought to be the bare minimum you should receive for their screwup. I think you ought to have all four tires replaced as there is no guarantee that the new ones have been wearing evenly if they are on there with tires that have 89,000 miles on them. I would word your email much strongly than you have, imho.