And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Unfortunately it is the right. sad.png

How long were you out of work? I hope I wouldn't have to be away for more than a week. I do have a pretty anti-(labor intensive). I could get a recliner put in my office. I think Brent is right, a cane and vicodin is definitely the way to go. smile.png

Shelly,

I was out for 6 weeks both times, though I did work from home after the first week or two. I was pretty much off of the vicodin after the first couple of weeks both times IIRC as well. These were both total hip replacements, so probably similar in terms of muscle rebuild, etc., though I would hope that yours would be less involved (since you would not be getting chopped and channeled, so to speak laugh.png). The more work you do beforehand will help out both during the surgery, and after, as it is much easier for them to separate muscle when the fat content is low, and the surgery will be less invasive because of that. One of the surgical assistants commented to me on how easy the 2nd one was, though I should have been in similar shape for the first.

Edited by Pars

Ouch, 6 weeks is a long time. I hope to talk to the physician's assistant today. Hopefully she can answer my questions about how long she expects me to be out. I have heard a week or two if you have a sedentary job.

I went ahead and made an appt for surgery for November 15. I'll cancel my work trip to NYC on the 16th. I expect that I will be able to travel home for Christmas on Dec 20 (if not I may postpone the surgery since my brother is having his baby early December and I want to be there to see my new niece). I hope that I will be able to travel to Atlanta for a talk I am giving on Dec 10th. I don't want to have to cancel too many trips.

Brave move, Shelly, and it seems like the right one. Best of luck in advance, and make sure they don't give you some meds that prevent you from cocktailing for too long!

I gotta admit that taking one Naproxen last night and one this morning is already showing some positive results. The fact that I really need to move shit back to SF isn't going to make this any easier/smoother, but I'm trying to keep it to a minimum for now.

I think you would heal up faster than what I had done Shelly, but then again, I'm not a doctor (even if I play one on TV... oh wait...).

Met John (jvlgato) for lunch today to return his LCD-2s (yes, the infamous Chicago travel pair) to him. We were joined by one of John's college buddies and had an enjoyable lunch and chat. And I broke with tradition and had a delicious German beer (name escapes me). I am sure I have met John at least briefly at a meet (CJ maybe?), but wanted to thank him again for his most generous loan of these cans. I enjoyed them a lot, and will miss them.

^ So you get service up there, eh?

Came home after work and rode 17 miles. Almost at 1000 miles for the year, which I'm sure is nothing for Chris (dreadhead) or Augsberger, but not bad for me, being of the old, fat and slow persuasion :lol: Less than last year, but I've only averaged riding 2 times a week this year, but doing longer rides per. Missed my goal of 100 miles a week (by quite a bit); there's always next year.

Hey, anytime you can complete a ride without an ER visit is a good ride. Keep up the good work!

Sometime buying new gear or equipment helps you log more miles, my mileage is off this year so I am buying a new pair of shoes. I wanted some SRAM gear or a new set of aero wheels butI have other obsessions to fund.

Brave move, Shelly, and it seems like the right one. Best of luck in advance, and make sure they don't give you some meds that prevent you from cocktailing for too long!

I gotta admit that taking one Naproxen last night and one this morning is already showing some positive results. The fact that I really need to move shit back to SF isn't going to make this any easier/smoother, but I'm trying to keep it to a minimum for now.

Time for Mayberry 3: move Al's shit for him jam.

Met John (jvlgato) for lunch today to return his LCD-2s (yes, the infamous Chicago travel pair) to him. We were joined by one of John's college buddies and had an enjoyable lunch and chat. And I broke with tradition and had a delicious German beer (name escapes me). I am sure I have met John at least briefly at a meet (CJ maybe?), but wanted to thank him again for his most generous loan of these cans. I enjoyed them a lot, and will miss them.

It was great having lunch with you, Chris! I believe the beer you had was a Spaaten ( two ” a's in there, I think?). Then, of course, a schnitzel of some sort for lunch. Glad you enjoyed the LCD2!

^ So you get service up there, eh?

Came home after work and rode 17 miles. Almost at 1000 miles for the year, which I'm sure is nothing for Chris (dreadhead) or Augsberger, but not bad for me, being of the old, fat and slow persuasion laugh.png Less than last year, but I've only averaged riding 2 times a week this year, but doing longer rides per. Missed my goal of 100 miles a week (by quite a bit); there's always next year.

That is great!

Time for Mayberry 3: move Al's shit for him jam.

As long as everyone with a bad hip get to order everyone around and hit them with their cane. Shall I bring a sword cane for the BBQ?

I went to a trip to an aluminium smelter. We got inside in one of the hangars and one of the guides handed out steel paper clips. I took one and as I clutched it I felt that it feels a bit odd. Then i opened my palm...

309057_185244128222409_100002104700691_403809_1321221133_n.jpg

Turns out that they are using the electrolysis method and the production line is giving out such magnetic field that it kept all the clips standing aslant. Keep in mind that this was a good 5 meters from the machinery. If I'm not mistaken then one of these lines use about 1.5GW and the whole plant uses about 20% of all Icelandic electric power. The presentation was in Icelandic so I might have got the facts wrong.

Seems that many companies are doing such presentations for free to promote their product. I have heard that aluminum industry in Iceland is a bit frowned upon by the locals, so it seems that they are trying to convince the populace. Otherwise I have no idea why philosophy, linguistics and film making students should be invited to an aluminum factory. The refreshments that followed were really good, wine, beer and various sandwiches and pastries.

Thank goodness you were all younguns and there was no one present with a pacemaker programmed in the unipolar sensing configuration.azn.gif

Would have made the tour much more interesting.

They instructed us thoroughly before we set foot in that hangar. We had to leave all watches, mobile phones, jewelry, credit cards outside. Though I must admit that standing there in that magnetic field felt kinda funny. I wonder what are the long term health effects when working in such environment.

Yesterday, we went to a food truck festival at a local race track entirely too long for them as well. Also, there was a kids playground right by the track which struck me as bit odd.

EDIT - something happened while I was trying to edit this post and it deleted half of what I posted.

Edited by Salt Peanuts