And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Spent the last two hours,as well as they last week arguing over college applications and college selections. I always thought up until now that getting through the SATs would be as hard as it could possibly get. Shelly, heres hoping the surgery goes as painless as the haircut. azn.gif

Edited by Augsburger

Like pulling teeth. embarrassed.gif Four on your coast, four on my coast and I think one is your spouse's school if memory serves me correct. My daughter just needs to get with the program and submit the required forms in a timely manner. Kind of like trying to collect duty fees on audio gear...... ooops, scratch that last comment.

Competition is so tough that even with great grades and good SAT scores, graduating seniors need lots of backup schools. We hear time and again there are an abundance of high school seniors out there with 4.0 GPAs, 2400 SAT scores who have started their own publicly traded tech companies while funding a charity to fight literacy in third world countries all competing for spots at the schools we are considering.

Al, you have my sympathies. azn.gif It is both fun and stressful. We want the best for Emily and we have a good idea what schools would fit her personality and help her grow, now we just need for all those high falutin Universities to recognize my wisdom. We went into this process thinking four schools would be plenty to consider but after hearing so many horror stories it appears that seemingly good grades and good SAT scores are not enough.

On a side note, watching Italy getting teed up for another whack in a few hours. This is getting ugLY!

Edited by Augsburger

I applied to 24. Got admitted to 8 out of hs. This was a while back but I can't imagine things having gotten better since. Didn't start any companies but I had a fairly decent resume. Got rejected by Chicago, Stanford, caltech, upenn, ucla, Berkeley, Harvard, brown, nyu, Harvey mudd, and many more BUT got into the school I wanted to go to since I was 11 so I didn't really care. A lot of times they get students who are very similar on paper and they turn down others after they pick up one. So it's not that one is not competitive enough, just that there are clones out there and they just turned in their application first.

I hope this doesn't look like me trying to scare you but a plea to perhaps reconsider than number. Maybe a few safety schools and throw in a few reach schools as well.

Good luck to you daughter. I hope she gets in not into the best school but the one where she wants to attend.

When I was graduating HS in Ontario Canada (I went to a year of private school up there to get a bit older) I was only allowed to apply to 3 schools (them's the rules in Ontario) so I did. I believe I got into all 3 but I can't remember for sure if it was just 2 of 3.

Oh and I did apply to MIT and got turned down. They did the same for grad school too. Pretty funny to me in the end and shows how arbitrary the whole thing is. I to this day take particular pleasure in correcting MIT grads/professors. Petty I know.

Edited by Dreadhead

When I was graduating HS in Ontario Canada (I went to a year of private school up there to get a bit older) I was only allowed to apply to 3 schools (them's the rules in Ontario) so I did. I believe I got into all 3 but I can't remember for sure if it was just 2 of 3.

Oh and I did apply to MIT and got turned down. They did the same for grad school too. Pretty funny to me in the end and shows how arbitrary the whole thing is. I to this day take particular pleasure in correcting MIT grads/professors. Petty I know.

What year was this? 3 schools is the minimum using that OUAC system, if you want more you have to pay an extra fee per university/college.

What year was this? 3 schools is the minimum using that OUAC system, if you want more you have to pay an extra fee per university/college.

You're right! I forgot I was too cheap to apply to more. Sorry about that. Most everyone at my school just did the 3. I did U of T, Waterloo and Queen's and ended up at Queen's. I got in to U of T and Queens for sure, not sure about Waterloo (I think I got in). One thing I do particularly remember is that Queen's sent a single page letter in a small envelope to let me know I was in and I was shitting myself because it was a "small envelope". I loved it there, ended up loving Univ of Michigan more but I think that it was close to perfect for me for undergrad.

I only applied to two and one was a community college. I knew where I wanted to go, so community college offered a scholarship and was to be used to transfer into university in case I did not get accepted immediately. I did not need to go that route, but it would have saved a lot of money if I had had to transfer in.

i was not accepted into the general university at one of the schools i was accepted into the music program at (Northwestern), which ended in me getting the thick envelope and the thin envelope on the same day.

I had no idea you could get into the Northwestern Music School without getting into the school in general. Everyone I knew in the school of music was a regular old student like anyone else... I think... although my GF at the time was in the School of Arts and Sciences first, and then switched into being a violin performance major in the School of Music. So maybe I just assumed that all of her music major friends had the same status and could switch at will. Plus I switched from the School of Art and Sciences into the School of Engineering without much effort, I figured at the time it was just a formality, so you do some paperwork. I suppose any switch in schools within a university has to be scrutinized and is not a given? I never really thought about that until now...

Edited by jvlgato