And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I got home and looked around just in case that I actually left the lens here, but no such luck. While the lens wasn't exactly cheap, it's not worth the trouble/cost of going through home owners insurance, especially after hearing/reading about folks getting their policy cancelled/not renewed when they were deemed "high risk" after claiming photo gears loss/damage.

Our daughter's first birthday party was pretty darn low-key. We basically had a cookout with some family members (grandparents, aunts and uncles) with the addition of balloons, gifts, and cakes. Libby and I both actually were asleep for about half of the party as I fell asleep while I was trying to put her down for a shot nap, which turned out to be a long nap.

We had an "Over-The-Hill" party for Zoe's first birthday. Definitely for the parents. Zoe dug having her own small cake on the top of her high chair. The pix were great, and the sugar-crash-induced-nap, also for the parents, was pretty nice as well.

Birthdays are coming up in a couple weeks (Xavier, 6) and 6 weeks (Zoe, 9). There's a place around here that has an indoor pool that's about 100$ for room for 25 swimmers and up to 100 guests. I figure that's going to destroy Chuck E. Cheese for the kids who haven't been able to go swimming in a while.

On more painful news, I just called out of work, as for the past two days, I've been on-and-off screaming in pain. I think I'm having some growing pains with respect to nerve regeneration. Sharp shooting pains on the bottom of my foot that just render me completely useless (insert grawk comment here) for a while are getting annoying. Hopefully another day of rest (and Breaking Bad, and Psych, and The Walking Dead (now on Netflix Streaming, btw)) will help. Maybe a trip to the package store as well, after I take Xavier for his check-up today.

Back to sleep...

**BRENT**

**BRENT**

Got an email from Continental telling me kindly that they had changed a flight of mine in Jan from 4:30pm to 1pm (I guess they decided to cancel the non-stop 4:30 flight). That's all nice but I have to be in a meeting from 12-1pm. Fuckers. Now I have to call them up and argue with them. I hate dealing with people.

They did the same thing to my wife last fall, Shelly, the night before the flight. It was a huge pain for her to get it changed especially since the surrounding time slot flights were very full. I wish you the best of luck.

Me: made some homemade bread with Lily that we just used for lunch. It came out pretty good for the first loaf I've baked in years.

photo.JPG

Were you tempted to drill a few holes in the loaf? You know just to keep your skill level up.

Looks mighty tasty BTW.

You can see that I did poke two holes in it to make sure it was done. And it was mighty tasty!

Give me that warm loaf of bread and a fair amount of butter and I could be very happy! Looks good Nate.

Thanks and the first slice was taken warm with butter they way it should be. This will probably convince me to make lot more bread.

Was out ruffed grouse (pat) hunting, checked my compass to get my bearings, turned to call the dog in and noticed the needle wasn't moving. Double checked, oh oh. Fortunately the sun was out and I knew roughly where the truck was so got out okay. First time I've had a compass stop pointing north on me

Have several compasses at home but I'm not headed back that way. Picked up a cheap thing (hope it works) and I'll bring my portable gps with just in case.

Mowed the f'ing lawn at the "vacation" house with my poor parents sitting waiting for me. Only took 4 hours or so.

You need to invest in a better mower. I love my used commercial walk behind, it'll mow through the thickest tallest grass like it's nothing.

I did the lawn mower search earlier this year. Wanted something that would last for a long time. Not because I have such a terribly large lot, but because it's really hard to get reliable and affordable service done on lawn movers here. So better to buy good quality and not have to replace it any day soon, or get killed on the servicing costs.

Found this place: http://www.mowersdirect.com/ and had a good buying experience with them (best internet prices I could find because they specialize, cut out the middle man, etc). They sent the thing directly to my freight forwarder in Miami. I ended up getting a 42" Toro zero turn and now absolutely love cutting grass. Sometimes I go out there every 5 days or so to cut my yard, or if I have the time I'll wander through the neighborhood on a Sunday afternoon and cut several of my neighbors' yards! Just wear my UE10 Pro (since I lost my JH13 somehow) and listen to some Bob Marley on my iPod and I can be out there for hours...

Edited by Wmcmanus

[sorry for whining here]

I watched my daughter's field hockey team win their game up in Denver today after several losses, but the trip was really tough on me since I've been coughing up large amounts of blood lately. Usually the treatment for me, due to my lung disease, is oxygen to lower my pulmonary blood pressure and antibiotics since there is an area of granuloma that bleeds when infected. (fibrosing mediastinitis and pulmonary vein obstruction)

I never know when I'll start doing this or how bad it will get - with some respiratory infections I'm fine, and other times just a brief visit to >8,000 feet will start it. I went through a tank and a half of oxygen in 7 hours today, but normally I can get 8-10 hours from a single tank if I don't have to crank it up when sick and bleeding. I've been sick this time around since 9/19, and on my 3rd antibiotic (Amoxil > Zithromax > Zyvox).

In other news, for the past 2-3 weeks my wife's iPhone 3GS intermittently stops taking/making calls and stops showing up on "find my iPhone". I finally had to spend a couple of hours just now to do a fresh iOS 4.3.3 install and set it up as a new phone without re-storing anything from backup, because previous fresh iOS installs and restore from backup didn't fix the problem. I'm not going to install any of the jailbreak apps this time either (jailbroke it to preserve the baseband for when I sell it to someone who needs an unlock). If this doesn't fix it then I'll have to upgrade to the latest iOS and baseband, hoping to get a properly functioning phone. I'd be able to JB it again later, just not unlock it.

[/pity party over]

They did the same thing to my wife last fall, Shelly, the night before the flight. It was a huge pain for her to get it changed especially since the surrounding time slot flights were very full. I wish you the best of luck.

Me: made some homemade bread with Lily that we just used for lunch. It came out pretty good for the first loaf I've baked in years.

photo.JPG

You should introduce some steam into the oven at the start of baking for a much nicer crust. Just throwing a bit of water (1/2 cup would do it) on any of the metal parts of the oven will work. It's also a good idea to insert the bread at a higher temperature than you bake it at to offset the temperature difference of the cold loaf of bread vs. the hot oven. Other than that, good work. :)

Edited by spritzer

This is a good place to vent so no worries Larry, and take care of yourself.

Waiting with excited anticipation to find out how Mary and Emily enjoyed the East Coast College road trip. It's crunch time for applications and decisions and the anticipation is killing me. On one hand we want our daughter to have a fantastic college learning experience, on the oher hand we are going to miss having her around on a daily basis.embarrassed.gif

Edited by Augsburger