Everything posted by nikongod
-
The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.
I'm betting (cautiously) on star movement. In all but the worlds cheapest tripods Mirror vibration self damps in MUCH less than 10sec. It is an issue with mid-length exposures (1/60-1/4sec), with long lenses or macro where the "perfect storm" of vibration amplification due to long lens length/high magnification *and* a lack of spare time to fill in with stable image (its not an issue in a 2sec macro shot, for example) fuxors your shit good - but mostly mirror shake is just something people like to talk about as the reason their handheld photos come out blurry. Anyways, in the case of your photo - With such an even exposure across the length of the star trails, I assume it is mostly the motion of the earth. If it was mirror shake, you would see a little motion, and an overexposed spot where the camera finally settled. You got none of that. You could shoot a 2, 5, 10, and 30second exposure, and see if the trails are proportionally long.
- Happy Birthday VPI
-
The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.
You could rent both.
-
The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.
The 11-24mm zoom looks like fun though. An 11mm prime (for SLR) would be fun.
-
And now what did you do TODAY?
I always pull the handle under the sink by mistake.
-
absolute cheapest vinyl rig possible...
I could not be bothered to quote PretentiousFood... I'm not totally convinced of the benefits of a balanced phono stage. Balanced inputs, so that you get noise rejection for the cartridge level signal, absolutely. Balanced RIAA? SOOOOOOOOOO much work for no benefit. Balanced inputs. Convert to SE (transformer or op-amp based to get noise rejection) do RIAA & voltage gain single ended. Do whatever you gotta do for outputs (transformer or op amp phase splitter).
- Fuck in snow
-
absolute cheapest vinyl rig possible...
Its just the things that go wrong most often.
-
The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.
I love my 24F2.8 AIS. The prophet Ken Rockwell (and yes I'm joking about the prophet thing) assures us that the optics are the same. That being said, I would decide on a FOV~=focal length, and go from there. Its not *really* fair to compare such widely dis-similar focal lengths. Or since this is head-case, just buy them all. Because 24mm. Remembering by Lord Nikon 12, on Flickr Bridge in the fog by Lord Nikon 12, on Flickr
-
Head Case Survivalists
It is just short of 2 years away, but I thought this story may be interesting to the Washington-DC contingent: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/digger/wp/2015/01/28/rei-to-open-flagship-store-at-uline-arena/ REI opening new flagship store.
-
absolute cheapest vinyl rig possible...
Steer far far far away from any TT with automatic anything. Adjustable VTA is nice, but also not I think the audiophile community makes MUCH more of VTA than is necessary because a modern tonearm needs to be designed to be put on who-knows-what TT with who-knows-what height from the plinth to the platter. TT's designed to "just work out of the box" (by engineers {who got payed to do that}) can easily get VTA to within a few MM for any cartridge with a fixed tonearm.
-
Sennheiser HD 800 Redux
SA5K are also very placement-sensitive*. It sounds weird, but they might just fit your head better than other people. That being said, I can never reallllly get their treble down to what I consider flat (HD800ish). * Most headphones are, actually.
-
absolute cheapest vinyl rig possible...
Craigslist - mid 80's to early 90's high quality turntable. Integrated receiver (1970-mid 90's?) with phono input. Will probably have a niceish radio tuner and probably a passable speaker amp if you shop carefully. New cartridge, or at the very least a new stylus if the TT comes with something niceish. Maybe a record and stylus brush to help with the dust bunnies. There is no reason to spend more than $200 all things told, and you can often do MUCH less if you are careful, patient, or already have some of the parts.
-
Watches
I have a Fortis. I like it a lot. Edit: Please excuse the overall lack of quality of this picture. I took it before I figured out how to edit photos.
-
Watches
He shot it with a Canon. That's the whitest they can do. Jk
-
The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post
Much like Whisky comes from Scotland and Whiskey comes from North America Hocky is actually curling, and Hockey is the North American game. While the 2 drinks share some similarities, and the 2 games share some similarities, I'm not sure how anyone could confuse them.
-
And now what did you do TODAY?
If this is for real (I sooooo hope it is) I move that we start a new thread for the event.
-
Happy Birthday, Absorbine_Sr
Happy Birthday Mike!
-
kgst
I prefer A. B requires more parts=more part matching.
-
kgst
Circuit B should show 1/2R2=R2*0.5 for each of the "R2" to ground, if it is to give the same attenuation as Circuit A.
-
The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.
Although I am not entirely la-la-loving Fear and loathing in LasVegas (its growing on me...) this: http://petapixel.com/2015/01/19/hunter-s-thompson-problem-focusing-much-technicals-photography/
-
The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.
- Happy Birthday, Grahame
Happy Birthday Grahame!- srx revisited
Still mucho better than a resistor I would be curious to see what results you get by setting the current purely by varying the value of a resistor between the source and ground, instead of applying a voltage to the gate. I know it should not make any difference, but I think it might. My reasoning is as follows: In the full graphs you can see that the slopes of current vs voltage are different with different Rs. As Rs increases the slope of the current VS voltage line decreases at similar currents*. My thinking is that if Rs was not important, the slopes of the curves closest to 10mA would not change. *Its kind of hard to see whats going on in Rs=0ohm, but comparing the lines closest to 10mA from Rs=0 & 10ohm - 11 to like 19 (8mA) vs 10 to like 13 (3mA) Rs=10ohm VS 24.9ohm @10mA - 3mA(10 ohm as above) VS either 8 to 9mA or 11 to 12.5mA (about 1.25mA) for the 24.9ohm curve. The 49ohm curves dont go to 10mA, but at lower currents they are flatter still than the 24.9ohm curves if you compare at ~5mA.- The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post
- Happy Birthday, Grahame
Important Information
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.