Help With Amp and Headphone

Companyofwho?

So I chose to buy the AKG 450, however I saw a review that said these headphones should be listened with a 320kpbs and my music is only 256. Will it really be a big deal? Would buying a portable amp for it fix it? I also listen to classical. Also, what amp should I buy? I am looking for under $70 I thought about the Fiios E11. Any other reccomendations? Please help!

So I chose to buy the AKG 450, however I saw a review that said these headphones should be listened with a 320kpbs and my music is only 256. Will it really be a big deal? Would buying a portable amp for it fix it? I also listen to classical. Also, what amp should I buy? I am looking for under $70 I thought about the Fiios E11. Any other reccomendations? Please help!

A portable amp would definitely fix it by increasing (amping) that 256kbps up to 320kbps. In fact, if you get the right portable amp, you can achieve lossless. rolleyes.gif

So I chose to buy the AKG 450, however I saw a review that said these headphones should be listened with a 320kpbs and my music is only 256. Will it really be a big deal? Would buying a portable amp for it fix it?

A portable amp would definitely fix it by increasing (amping) that 256kbps up to 320kbps. In fact, if you get the right portable amp, you can achieve lossless. rolleyes.gif

Ecclesand's Law: as portability of amp approaches infinity, loss of source material due to mp3 conversion approaches 0.

I'll be curious to find out if the Fii0 E11 is portable enough to achieve this. Please report back.

Look for this feature in my upcoming portable, the Lil' Prick, only from Dhik Audio.

Naaman can you tell us how much we can expect from a Lil' Prick? Compared to what a full size Prick might offer is what I'm asking. I'm just wondering if the Lil' Prick will satisfy my needs, or should I just go straight for the full size Prick? I'm hoping to achieve that fullness that some smaller units just can't provide, but I don't want to disregard the Lil' Prick altogether, because I've learned that sometimes big things can come in small packages. I feel as though I could handle the full size Prick, but if I could get say 75% of the performance from the Lil' Prick, then that might be the best choice.

Also how long before the Lil' Prick is ready to use? Can I use it immediately, or does it perform better after a brief warm up? Can I stay plugged into the Lil' Prick all day, or should I disengage between sessions?

Naaman can you tell us how much we can expect from a Lil' Prick? Compared to what a full size Prick might offer is what I'm asking. I'm just wondering if the Lil' Prick will satisfy my needs, or should I just go straight for the full size Prick? I'm hoping to achieve that fullness that some smaller units just can't provide, but I don't want to disregard the Lil' Prick altogether, because I've learned that sometimes big things can come in small packages. I feel as though I could handle the full size Prick, but if I could get say 75% of the performance from the Lil' Prick, then that might be the best choice.

Also how long before the Lil' Prick is ready to use? Can I use it immediately, or does it perform better after a brief warm up? Can I stay plugged into the Lil' Prick all day, or should I disengage between sessions?

Depends on how you'll be using it; the full-size Prick is heavier and takes up a lot more space than the Lil Prick, so it can get to be a pain in the ass sometimes if you're not just using it at home. On the other hand the Lil Prick is so lightweight you might even forget that it's there, making it easy to use all day. It's also a lot harder to insert the plugs with the full-size model, for reasons I haven't been able to figure out, but I figure that's just because it hasn't been used much yet and still needs to be broken in.

I'd advise against using either one immediately though, the sound will be very lifeless until you let it fully warm up. And you'll need to let it warm up again even if you only turned it off for a brief moment.