Bryston BHA1 Headphone Amp

The Monkey

True, though relying on software knocks out a lot of source options (or you're back to adding more hardware in the path).

Forgot about that. I have always had a computer as a source, so I was looking through that lens exclusively by habit.

This also has Bryston's 20 year warranty since it is an analog product. That's always nicesmile.png

Edited by roadtonowhere08

From the brochure:

Power Options:

• Standard: high quality Bryston internal analog

power supply

• Optional: MPS-2 power supply also available

(replaces internal supply)

The amp itself is listed at $1295, but the price will hit $3K once coupled with the additional MPS-2 ($1695) power supply.

Edited by purk

the 20 year warranty makes sense with Speaker systems, but does anybody keep headphone stuff that long?

Not really, but it is a peace of mind knowing that the investment you made is well protected. Plus it certainly will help the resale value as long as the warranty is transferable.

From the brochure:

The amp itself is listed at $1295, but the price will hit $3K once coupled with the additional MPS-2 ($1695) power supply.

From the audiocircle thread (page 21):

Quote from: MellowVelo on 5 Dec 2011, 05:21 PM

Hi James,

Is there actually a difference in the level of sound quality between the internal-PSU version and the external-PSU version? Or is the external-PSU version just offered as a convenience for customers who already have the MPS-2? If there is a difference, what is the difference in terms of percentage? I know that that's pretty subjective, but if the external-PSU version offered 100% maximum sound quality, what percentage would the internal-PSU version offer?

Thanks!

Hi,

Correct - just a lower cost alternative for folks with a MPS-2 already.

james

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Any idea what this means?

The opamps are their design? Maybe that explains the uncommon power delivery depending on the impedance. in any case it seems "powerful enough".

I think there is 2004 HF thread that might explain this a bit where Kevin commented, but they have a discrete opamp design (think Burson) they use in their designs to impart that Royal Mountie sound.

That answer confuses me.

Seems pretty clear. He's saying one or more of the statements in those four questions is correct.

laugh.png Yeah, it was rather nebulous!

I am betting he was saying that for those that already own an MPS-2, the version with no internal power supply is a cheaper route, since getting one with an internal PSU is redundant. Now, I am not quite sure if any of the design has changed since that remark, but I think it has not.

For those that do not own an MPS-2, the internal PSU version would be the equivalent. The only difference is that the MPS-2 can power 4 devices at once based on the number of power outlets at the back.

I really do not think getting both will yield any audible results over just getting the internal PSU version.

5 on a balanced amp seems insanely high to me, and I don't listen at churchmouse levels like you do Nate.

If we're going on the assumption that 5 equates to an effective 10 given the balanced configuration then I revise my previous statement, having the low gain option set that high is unlikely to yield good results.

I'm also not a fan of parking the outputs right next ot the power transformer. Where's the logic in that?