New Oppo player for late 2012

Eric5676

• 4 months later...

Anyone heard the 105 against the NAD m51?

^Interested in this myself

Let me resurrect this thread a bit.  I finally bought a silver BDP-105 and I also currently have the NAD M51.  Overall, I like the M51 better due to its more refined and neutral presentation as well as having wider & deeper soundstage.  I also notice a more solid imaging together with noticeably better bass response on the Nad.  On a side note, I also found the Oppo to be near identical sonically to my W4S DAC-2 after several back-and-forth comparisons.  In the end, I preferred the W4S to the Oppo due to slighty better extension on both ends of the spectrum.  IMO, of course.  

Edited by purk
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Worth it to me. I have a lot of DVDs – they probably need Darbee processing more than properly mastered Blu-ray material.

I mainly want it for SACD and HDCD playback. My PS3 has been surprisingly good – it should be interesting to see how much more video quality can be extracted from my dodgy movie collection – Anchorman has never looked so good.

Edited by HiWire

I have the regular 103 and i find the upscaler to work just fine. If i was buying a new player now i might buy it but i would always get my tv isf calibrated first. That is a very big difference to my eyes, i have the Panny GT60 plasma and when i got it it looked amazing. But after the calibration the factory image looks dull and lifeless in comparison and also some of the colors look unrealistic.

• Like 1

Darbee processing is for contrast – i.e., light and dark. I gather that some poorly-mastered DVDs might have more chrominance compression than necessary (e.g. everything is dark and muddy or everything is washed out) – Darbee processing might mitigate this problem. It might also help with color depth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

Scaling is supposed to be better on the Oppo than the PS3, but it depends on your source material. It should be the same on the Darbee edition as the non-Darbee.

Edited by HiWire

• 3 months later...

^^^  :laugh:   Actually, they only do Oppo CASE mods, right?

I guess you could call it that.

I'll tell you whut, though, if someone were to take a Dell and repackage it in another case without taking it out of the Dell case -- and call themselves a case modder -- they'd go out of business right quick.  At least take it out of the Dell case.

• 4 weeks later...