New Oppo player for late 2012

Eric5676

Do any of you have an XBox or PS3 and still get the Oppo because it's that much better for media playing?

Netflix is fine on my Roku. I wonder if it's your bandwidth , either download speed, or network speed? I had problems until I upgraded my network.

Edited by jvlgato

I have a PS3 that I've been using as a Blu-ray/Vudu/SACD player, and it'll be nice to go back to using it almost exclusively as a gaming machine.

I also have a homemade XBMC (openelec) nettop I use for local media playback.

I'll be glad to have the new Oppo (arriving Tuesday!) as a dedicated Blu-ray player; but I'm sure it won't be able to compete with the XBMC for the local media stuff.

I have too many boxen in general and I'm trying to streamline, but I haven't found the One True Media Playback solution that doesn't involve Windows (I'm mostly talking about Blu-ray-sourced MKVs and ISOs with high resolution audio). I have a Dune player, but the menus are is a PITA to update. I have a Boxee Box, but the high resolution audio playback is crap.

I love openelec, but I may just have to switch to Windows XBMC and an nvidia settop because the high res audio stuff apparently works. Ack.

Any speculation whether the 105 will sound better than the 95?

I can guarantee it thanks to the high end analog soundstage and outputs including balanced options. If you need high quality analog audio output, 105 all the way. In addition to a DAC, a headphone amp, an all out pre-amp...and oh yeah, it'll play discs, too. ;)

That was meant for the bike thread, needless to say. Bikes do rule. Did I mention, I'm on the pre-order list or whatever it is for the 105. I love my 95 but being able to use it as a standalone dac makes it worth the extra $200 over what the 95 cost.

You'll be able to flip and sell your 95 for a surprisingly good value if that's what you want to do.

This thing (the 103) is lightning quick, btw. The first Blu-ray player I've had that loads discs faster than my PS3. I also like the dedicated Vudu and Netflix buttons (I use Vudu a lot).

Haven't really made any in-depth observations yet; I've just barely had time to plug the thing in...I'm also interested in checking out the video scaling features (I plugged in my XBMC into the rear HDMI input.) I'll report back when I've had more time with it.

This thing (the 103) is lightning quick, btw. The first Blu-ray player I've had that loads discs faster than my PS3. I also like the dedicated Vudu and Netflix buttons (I use Vudu a lot).

Haven't really made any in-depth observations yet; I've just barely had time to plug the thing in...I'm also interested in checking out the video scaling features (I plugged in my XBMC into the rear HDMI input.) I'll report back when I've had more time with it.

Agreed. It's a fantastic machine.

My 103 came in Thursday. It is real snappy - the loading time is impressive.

The hdmi input and upscaling/deinterlacing of my Comcast box is actually better than I expected. I thought I wouldn't see a difference but even on my lowly panny g25 it's definitely a cleaner picture, less noise, and looks smoother.

Avatar and dark knight looked great but the 83 was no slouch. I'm going to see how it handles the Apple TV and my random iPad stuff using the front hdmi input.