New Oppo player for late 2012

Eric5676

• 4 months later...

Here's a review where they compare the stock vs. a ModWright "Truth" unit:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/modwright-oppo-bdp-105-with-truth-modifications/

The comparison with the Esoteric player was a nice bonus. Now I'd like a comparison of the Audiocom vs. the Modwright vs. the Arcam UDP411 one of the commenters mentions.

I'm glad to hear that the DAC and clock in the stock unit are considered top-notch, in addition to the Oppo's reference-quality video processing.  I wonder if Oppo buys samples of the modded players for R&D in their upcoming products.

Stock, Audiocom, Sound Affairs comparison:

http://peteswrite.blogspot.ca/2013/08/modified-oppo-blu-ray-player-audio.html

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

4k bluray is coming out soon, I'd go for something cheap in the meantime

That only matters if he's planning to upgrade his TV in the near future.  That said, I'd have a hard time spending 4x as much as the competition on the Oppo considering that others perform nearly as well (based on some quick review skimming).

That only matters if he's planning to upgrade his TV in the near future.  That said, I'd have a hard time spending 4x as much as the competition on the Oppo considering that others perform nearly as well (based on some quick review skimming).

The Irony in it, seeing as Oppo originated as the bang for the buck company. I guess they still are but on a different scale now. 

I'd get a 103D if I needed a new player right now. Nate is right, they aren't the bang for the buck they used to be, but its still a solid, reliable player with great Oppo support. Plus Oppo are the only DVD/bluray players I've owned so I'm pretty much locked in now. And darbee sounds interesting, I'd love to try that out.

My Panasonic looks amazing with upscaling in my opinion. The only issues I have are watching GOT (very dark and shadowy) where I believe it's a Comcast compression issue not the TV because I use the up sampling on my Oppo (103 Darbee) and I love it. In short I'm thrilled with the TV.

I think I ended up more agreeing with you, Dan, just not for the reason of going 4k anytime soon.

Question for the 4k folks - are the internal scalers good enough lower def content looks good?

I haven't tried, will let you know.  (Most of the lower def content I watch is through the computer and therefore not upscaled.  In fact I usually don't go through the internal upscaler at all.)

Do you guys actually watch stuff from a disk?  I don't think I've watched anything that wasn't streamed in over a year.  

bluray really does look and sound noticeably better on my TV than anything streaming, but to answer your question, no. We netflix/hulu/amazon/yahoo tv/hbo go everything we watch. :)

• Like 1

Yes -- I am on the disk plan with Netflix -- because choices -- and I usually delay watch (rip, watch from computer later, delete).  Every once in a while, the disk won't rip because scratches/peanut butter/whatever/don'twanttothinkaboutittoohard, so after a thorough wet cleaning, I'll watch it live -- fuck it!  I'll watch it live.  (Meaning straight from the disk.)

Also, I own a few movies (World's End/Cornetto Trilogy, Gravity, etc. -- probably getting Under the Skin because I've watched it enough times to make it worth my while, and will probably watch again...also Bolt).

• Like 2

Scratched disks (and constantly getting movies I wasn't in the mood to watch becuase I put them in my queue ages ago) was one of the reasons I got rid of the Netflisk disk subscription. Sometimes they were so badly scratched I could even get them to go past a certain section. Seriously, what do people do with these disks?