Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

When I first heard my 009/BHSE June 2012, obviously the stock mullard tubes were being used and I was extremely happy with the SQ from songs in my collection, especially Pink Floyd's, it was when I started listening to Peter Gabriel's songs when the problems started.

When I first heard Sledge Hammer I expected my ears to be bleeding because the SQ was so uncomfortable, and I was only listening at my normal volume, so I decided to get a quad of SED's hoping they'd sort out the problem, but they didn't.

After that I started using my HD-600's and Pico Slim when I wanted to listen to Peter's songs, but because the HD-600/Pico Slim didn't give me a detail and transparency that the 009/BHSE gave, I ended up getting the GS-Xmk2.

Peter's songs as well as the rest of my song collection did sound pretty amazing with the GS-Xmk2/HD-600 but I still ended up getting the LCD-XC, I found the LCD-XC gave better detail with more authority than the HD-600, however when I started using the Psvane PH's in January this year the SQ from my 009/BHSE sounded so good I ended up hardly listening to the GS-Xmk2/ LCD-XC so I sold them.

I still have the HD-600 and Pico Slim which I find do sound very good with the source I have, but I mainly use my 009/BHSE.

I plan on getting another stats amp, but this will mostly be for if anything happens to my BHSE.

There were some suggestions that my source could've been at fault with my 009's sounding bright, but using the same source I've never had a problem from my other headphone gear or while using the PH's with my BHSE.

When I first heard my 009/BHSE June 2012, obviously the stock mullard tubes were being used and I was extremely happy with the SQ from songs in my collection, especially Pink Floyd's, it was when I started listening to Peter Gabriel's songs when the problems started.

When I first heard Kris Kristofferson or Bob Dylan it didn't matter how good the system was,it still sounded flat and off key.

I tried for years to make them sound good. The I realised that is just the way they sound. Good songs but not-so-good vocals.   :nate:

I spent many hours choosing between an older pair of 007mk1’s and the 009’s with a BHSE.

The 009 was the clear winner, less muddy, not as coloured and better transparency.

Brightness was never an issue.

Funny enough I just listened to a near NOS 007Mk1 just now and holy hell they sounded bad.  :)  Pads completely shot and the arcs have never been adjusted.... yeah not good but easy enough to fix. 

Had an hour or so with the XF2's last night after bias and rebias.  Big thumbs up so far over SED's, huge relief as progress felt a little slow as of late and I took a gamble with ebay tubes.  Wish these could be more affordable and more common.

What the you like better about the vintage tube over the SED?  Do you like it better than the Psvane tubes as well?  Regarding the brightness, I actually find the BHSE to be a tad brighter sounding compared to various builds of the KGSSHV, and the DIY T2.  The T2, IMO, is so good that it works wonder with both the SR007 MKI and SR009, where as the SR009+BHSE combination maybe a tad bright for some.

Wait, you're saying the pads and the fit matter that much?

Yes, they are crucial.  The biggest reason for this is the unique construction of the 007, they don't swivel on an axis to fit the angle of attack of the drivers to the shape of the head.  This also controls the pressure placed on the earpads when they are worn.  I for one have never met anybody that can use a stock 007, the fit is always wrong.  Too much of an angle at the bend in the arcs on each side and the arc is far too shallow.  That means the earpieces are placed at the wrong spot relative to the ears and the comfort suffers as well since the arc isn't supporting them properly. 

conversely, are you saying the 009 doesn't need fit adjustment?

Yes and no is really the answer.  There is nothing on the arc to adjust, hell just don't mess with that fragile POS too much or it will break.  The earpads are the weak link here though and I like the effect you get by stuffing some scrap foam at the back.  Helps the imaging. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind trying the NOS mullard XF2's with the BHSE, but that doesn't mean I'm not totally happy with the PH's, because I am.

I've also read the XF2's give more detail than the PH's, but I'm not sure I'd need that extra detail because the source I have gives plenty of that.

I had the 007mk1's for 11 years but let them go in 2011, and while I had them for 11 years I was never that happy with them, but I blame the SRM-007t for that because I got to hear someone else's 007mk1's with the BHSE and they were totally different Earspeakers.

When I was hearing my 009's with the BHSE while using the stock mullard's, and at the same time hearing the 007mk1's, I was regretting letting the 007mk1's I had go, but since using the PH tubes I never give the 007mk1's a second thought. 

I wouldn't mind trying the NOS mullard XF2's with the BHSE, but that doesn't mean I'm not totally happy with the PH's, because I am.

I've also read the XF2's give more detail than the PH's, but I'm not sure I'd need that extra detail because the source I have gives plenty of that.

I had the 007mk1's for 11 years but let them go in 2011, and while I had them for 11 years I was never that happy with them, but I blame the SRM-007t for that because I got to hear someone else's 007mk1's with the BHSE and they were totally different Earspeakers.

When I was hearing my 009's with the BHSE while using the stock mullard's, and at the same time hearing the 007mk1's, I was regretting letting the 007mk1's I had go, but since using the PH tubes I never give the 007mk1's a second thought. 

David, you really should give the 007MKI another try.  I was never happy with the SR007 either unless out of the BHSE, T2, and KGSSHV.

David, you really should give the 007MKI another try.  I was never happy with the SR007 either unless out of the BHSE, T2, and KGSSHV.

Because I'm so happy with how my 009's now sound purk, I'm not that bothered about trying the 007mk1's again.

It would be interesting to hear how they'd compare to the 009's while using the PH tubes, but I did try the 007mk2's with my BHSE while using the PH tubes and I wasn't impressed, they reminded me of how the 007mk1/ SRM-007t sounded, and even though I've read the mk1's are better sounding than the mk2's, I still can't see them sounding as good as I find the 009's do while using the PH's.

I also find the 009's are a lot more comfortable than the 007mk1's were, plus I'm very happy with how my 009's now look.

I have a melon of a head so it can be done.  :)  Seriously, when I was graduating from the Icelandic equivalent of collage we get these ceremonial caps to wear.  Everybody was lined up to be fitted and when it was my turn the lady looked at me in horror and said "you're a special order..."   ;D

• Like 2