Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

Imagine if you could simply unplug them and use a different one?

I used to calibrate electronic loads which had TO3 transistor sockets....

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/4618/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhUxr3jTixc9EgEzr8ZrzhASMyYmCW8urNnjb4F40KMicOW4jYM9YfM

Thankfully transistors require one to use a soldering iron to remove...

In this case, only 2 screws..  Roll dem ol' 2N3055's & BUX80's

• 5 months later...

I really like the proportions that Justin achieved with the fully-exposed tubes and spiked feet. Kind of regret selling mine now, the amount of work that goes into one is no joke. Maybe when BHSE parts run out and he's forced to go to Carbon's I'll place an order :)

While on the subject, my mini BHSE is nearing completion.  :) 

J3juQrTh.jpg

Same size as the Carbon and just a bit bigger than Justin's amplifier unit but this one has the PSU built in.  Was supposed to have a R-core transformer but that went apeshit on me so a toroid was installed in a hurry. 

• Like 3

Yup, it's a modushop chassis.  I'm just about done with them and will have to move into custom stuff.  Using these is a bit like building on sand... 

Anyway, here it is with the toroid I was forced to install after the R-cores were DOA. 

iZBg6QLh.jpg

It's all attached to the top panel which does make things tricky.  Aside from some slight transformer noise it runs perfectly and doesn't get too hot. 

Here is is running on the bench:

kLEBrnGh.jpg

• Like 3

These boards won't ever be released but we did update the old Headamp design too so that could be shared.  No sense in moving away from 20mA for this design. 

It's those steel bars which hold everything together.  They are never the correct size so the amps will become difficult to get right.  Having everything terminate in the sinks makes things easier but not always.  This is why I'm looking into custom boxes... 

actually the top does not come off, the boards are bolted to it.

the bottom comes off. 

Ahh i see all the components are attached to the underside whilst the tubes exit the opposite side.

Thanks nopants however  spritzer's comments regarding it's construction and by the sound of it getting all the panels to line up sound like a bit of a pita. I think i will keep searching for my ideal case.

Thank you for the Bottom-off shots Spritzer. Looking Sweeeeettt! Sorry to hear about the R-core not working out. May i ask what version of the PSU are you using in this build? are all the large capacitors 500v?

These boards won't ever be released but we did update the old Headamp design too so that could be shared.  No sense in moving away from 20mA for this design. 

It's those steel bars which hold everything together.  They are never the correct size so the amps will become difficult to get right.  Having everything terminate in the sinks makes things easier but not always.  This is why I'm looking into custom boxes...

What did you use for shoulder washers for the 1486 and j79/k216? The aavid ones I am familiar with do not fit.

That psu is just one of many BH variants that I've drawn up over the years.  500V input caps and 450V output caps. 

You can get it through with some care (that's what she said.... ;D) but a drill does help.  Just make sure to deburr... 

• Like 1