HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Today 3500 kms with the Continental GP 4000 SII;  

Rear tyre around mid use (according to the wear marks), some little cuts and a big hole (around 2 mm) on a side. Very dangerous, you can see the canvas inside. I have replace this for a new GP 4000 SII (yesterday)

Front tire around mid use too (according to the wear marks). Some little cuts and some wear symptom but nothing special. I think that I can use this others 500/1000 kms.

In total, two "flat tire" on 6 months.

I think that the Michelin Pro 4 SC has a bit more grip than the GP 4000 SII (on dry) and is more faster EMO when the tire is new. With wet asphalt, I feel more secure with the GP4000 SII (more grip and very progressive, advise when it reaches its limit ) but the front tyre raises a curtain of wáter in front of your face.. This is a little uncomfortable for the vision but nothing serious.

Michelin Pro4 SC on wet tends to lose grip without warning. You have all grip or nothing. They suffered a total wear with only 3200kms and three "flat tire". Last year I used 2 pair. Them I change the rear for a Lithium 2 and a Pro4 SC front.

...And of course, 25 better than 23.

sorry for my English :unsure:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jose said:

Today 3500 kms with the Continental GP 4000 SII;  

Rear tyre around mid use (according to the wear marks), some little cuts and a big hole (around 2 mm) on a side. Very dangerous, you can see the canvas inside. I have replace this for a new GP 4000 SII (yesterday)

Front tire around mid use too (according to the wear marks). Some little cuts and some wear symptom but nothing special. I think that I can use this others 500/1000 kms.

In total, two "flat tire" on 6 months.

I think that the Michelin Pro 4 SC has a bit more grip than the GP 4000 SII (on dry) and is more faster EMO when the tire is new. With wet asphalt, I feel more secure with the GP4000 SII (more grip and very progressive, advise when it reaches its limit ) but the front tyre raises a curtain of wáter in front of your face.. This is a little uncomfortable for the vision but nothing serious.

Michelin Pro4 SC on wet tends to lose grip without warning. You have all grip or nothing. They suffered a total wear with only 3200kms and three "flat tire". Last year I used 2 pair. Them I change the rear for a Lithium 2 and a Pro4 SC front.

...And of course, 25 better than 23.

sorry for my English :unsure:

Try a pair of Conti GP 4 Seasons. Almost as fast as a GP4000 (built on same or similar casing), durability of a Gatorskin with better traction (wet). Available up to 700 x 32 (I run 28s personally).

Turns out I need better gloves and/or those bar mitts to ride in this temperature. I also need to remember to charge my headlight before a big ride. Ended up have to go with it lowest setting most of the ride to save battery.

f932f09c470f926c025e7c2e410aa3dd.jpg

bdae80b86da66008daecdd82bb322f33.jpg

1abc960813abc1f6f91698cfba9dac7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Temps warmed up to a balmy 18 degrees this morning so I decided to go out for a ride. New winter gloves and bibs are not in yet, nor are the pedals so not opportune but fun.

962d1e464abf01bb1462c92f9abae8de.jpg

Going to head out now to pick up some Dillinger 5 studded tires as these Specialized tires have zero grip when I hit all the tracks of previous bikes that have made slick grooves everywhere in and below the snow. Bike tried to slide out from under me quite often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I did a pretty good Brent last Monday.  It was my first ride on my MTB on a trail I've hiked a lot.  Coming down the steepest hill on the trail (and it's not very steep), I lost control, went over the handlebars and face planted right on my recently surgically-correct eye.

I had a nice cut above the eye and my glasses were bent a bit.  I was riding with a friend so he came back to check me out.  A family came by and gave him some tissues to clean the blood from my face.  Then we finished the trail and head home on streets and bicycle trails. 

After assuring him that I was all right, we split up about 1 mile from my house.  I rode the rest of the was without incident.  Of course, I can't remember much of the crash and the ride home.  I don't remember the family at all.  So obviously I got a little concussion too. Fortunately, I remember everything since I got home for the ride and have had not further concussion symptoms.

Final injury tally is:

1.  Cut above the eye.
  2. A little swelling around the upper side of the eye.
  3. Very painful area on my chest just to the right of the breastbone. There's no bruise so I might have cracked or broken something, but don't really think so.

The helmet I was wearing is totally unscathed.  It looks like I hit the front visor and that pushed the helmet backwards over my head.  I think that maybe I'll look for a reasonable full-face helmet for future rides.

Going over the handlebars sucks bad enough, but a direct hit to the head is pretty serious and might need some doctor visit action.

Spent $540 dollars on mountain bike tires.  These motherfuckers better allow me to ride up the side of a frozen building for this cost.

Dillinger-5-studded-fatbike-tire-4.jpg

Any of you cycling know the best small tire pump to frame mount or throw in a frame bag.  Would like to keep pressure higher on the ride to and from the park and drop down to nothing while in the snow.  Was looking at Lezyne, but I thought you guys might have found something you like.

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1