Tour de Cure Chattanooga Tennessee

MexicanDragon

As many of you saw, Jeff had signed up for a TdC in Virginia, as it's a cause near and dear to him.  It just so happens we're having a ride in Chattanooga on May 18th, and with Jeff and other friends in mind, I was one of the first people to sign up for this one.

I plan on training to do the 40 mile ride, which I think is doable in the 3-4 weeks I have, and having a good cause is worth me pushing a bit further, a bit longer than I normally do.

http://main.diabetes.org/goto/BrentLawson

My goals aren't quite as lofty as Jeff's, but I'm hoping to raise $500 over the weeks leading up to the ride.

My work is sponsoring the event, and we have a nice little team so far. If anyone would like to join this ride, or Jeff's ride, get in touch with us, as I bet we'd both love to have some more of the crew out there with us.

Thanks,

Brent

You guys are fantastic! I'm already at almost 60% of my goal after only 12 hours, and most of that is from you guys.

Gene, I was debating 25 or 40 mile ride. The 25 is actually 28, and the 40 is actually 36. 15 miles seems like a big difference, 8 seems like I should go for it!

Training starts today. I'll try to post the map later. No mountains, but looks like there may be a couple good hills that will make me work for it.

There should be plenty of SAG points along the way, so I should be in good shape to take breaks and a quick rest.

Rain in the forecast all weekend, but the beginner group ride is on the books for Monday, with some extra miles afterwards.

Again, thank you all so much!

**BRENT**

So it's been right at 23 hours, and thanks to mostly HC people, I'm only 3$ away from my original goal! This is even before I make a donation myself (I'm working on something with the Team Captain that we may be able to get corporate to do), and I'm truly grateful for all the help.

Here's the ride I'm planning on doing. http://main.diabetes.org/site/DocServer/2013_Chattanooga_Tour_de_Cure_40_Mile_Ride.pdf?docID=134241

The 25 mile ride turned out to be 18. I feel like I owe it to everyone to do more than 18.

**BRENT**

I woke up and you guys had pushed me over my original goal, which seemed pretty lofty at the time. You really are a special group of people

Stop posting and start training :P

Midnight over here, and I don't have a light rig yet :( It's going to be pouring rain all day today, so I'm going to get out during some dry spots.

A buddy of mine was leading out the Music City Marathon (Nashville) a couple hours down the road, and it just seems like it's dumping buckets on them. Bummer, but the TdC is a rain or shine event, so I guess I better train in the rain a little, just in case, no? :)

**BRENT**

Edit: So not only am I riding for friends... I found out some more stuff last night.

When I originally posted this ride on Facebook, my mom posted that she was in and that it runs in the family. This was news to me, as I hadn't heard that before. Last night I was talking to my cousin, and it turns out that both of his parents AND our grandmother had diabetes. It's more of a recent thing for them, but as my grandmother was slipping away at the end, I take it that not every detail was shared with the entire family.

Just goes to show that this may affect people you know, and you could have no idea.

Edited by MexicanDragon

• 2 weeks later...