Songs You Came Across On Some Streaming Service And Thought Your Head-Case Buds Might Enjoy Too. No Critical Endorsement Implied. Fuck Vevo etc.

Hopstretch

"Rare misses aside, hearing Faltskog and Lyngstad’s impeccable voices weave through a battalion’s worth of riffs, bells, and whistles is an indefatigable source of ecstasy. Listening to “S.O.S.” or “Dancing Queen” or “Super Trouper” for the first time can feel like hearing “Good Vibrations” or “Born to Run” in the same fashion: Your pleasure centers are overwhelmed until they blow up like the Grinch’s tiny heart, expanding beyond their old size and becoming something new."

• Like 3

I don't even really like saxophones very much (sorry @MexicanDragon), and I think the first three notes of this song are one of the greatest sounds ever recorded. I could listen to them over and over again -- fortunately the song allows just that.

The original lacks the same intense energy, but probably has a better groove

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

4 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

I don't even really like saxophones very much (sorry @MexicanDragon), and I think the first three notes of this song are one of the greatest sounds ever recorded. I could listen to them over and over again -- fortunately the song allows just that.

The original lacks the same intense energy, but probably has a better groove

Wait, that (Madness' version) is a COVER?!?!?

Also, I love the rich, complex waveform sounds of reed and double-reed instruments.  It's one of those things I don't think has been well synthesized yet.  Thank you for pointing out how delicious this one in particular sounds.

24 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

^ (just released!)

v (should've won)

"Australia participates in Eurovision – in proud defiance of the most fundamental laws of continental geography – simply because it wants to so badly. Australians are Eurovision superfans, and the Aussie prog-metal band Voyager, headed by Daniel Estrin (no, not that Daniel Estrin) has been vying to represent their country since Australia first entered the competition in 2015. This year they got their wish with this high-energy, hooky-as-hell banger that both mocks and celebrates '80s new wave. (If the arch-but-pure timbre of Estrin's vocals didn't tip you off to that, that keytar should.) Australia's contract to participate in Eurovision expires this year, so there's potentially a lot riding on how well this song does. But the audience in the arena on Saturday is absolutely gonna eat it up, so I'm not worried; The Fixx is in."

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/11/1175447895/where-the-stage-is-littered-with-glitter-the-top-10-acts-of-eurovision-2023

onydrduym181mbzn4hh7bpy23srrxh8.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_(Australian_band)

You might like this arrangement 

or this one (for @Knuckledragger )

The Residents? Not creative in their imaging? Here is the cover for their triple concept album on the emotional effects of 9/11 that contained the song Make Me Moo:

IMG_0376.jpeg

The random YouTuber "Virgil Pink" used the Atom Heart Mother cover as a static image for the music clip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Grahame said:

"Australia participates in Eurovision – in proud defiance of the most fundamental laws of continental geography – simply because it wants to so badly. Australians are Eurovision superfans, and the Aussie prog-metal band Voyager, headed by Daniel Estrin (no, not that Daniel Estrin) has been vying to represent their country since Australia first entered the competition in 2015. This year they got their wish with this high-energy, hooky-as-hell banger that both mocks and celebrates '80s new wave. (If the arch-but-pure timbre of Estrin's vocals didn't tip you off to that, that keytar should.) Australia's contract to participate in Eurovision expires this year, so there's potentially a lot riding on how well this song does. But the audience in the arena on Saturday is absolutely gonna eat it up, so I'm not worried; The Fixx is in."

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/11/1175447895/where-the-stage-is-littered-with-glitter-the-top-10-acts-of-eurovision-2023

onydrduym181mbzn4hh7bpy23srrxh8.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_(Australian_band)

You might like this arrangement 

or this one (for @Knuckledragger )

Oooooohhhh (they're not from Europe, didn't think of that).

Thanks for that, totally forgot.