The State of DACSES

I've mentioned in another thread how much I've underestimated the advances in dacs in the the last decade. Although there are other recently introduced dacs I'd love to hear (looking at you Denafrips Pontus) I couldn't love the Chord Qutest more (well, maybe if it had balanced outs and a power switch). If someone is compiling a list, you may want to add it. If I didn't have other financial pulls (damn you photo gear) I'd probably have picked up a second unit for a different system. 

Gave up local digital music storage nearly a decade ago, so Roon is a complication here. All Quboz, Youtube, streaming radio, various other streams now (when not playing vinyl). 

• Like 2

I have been in a frenzy recently listening to the "new" bestest dacs to upgrade Spring 2/RME.

I heard the Denafrips Terminator I, Yggy A1, Hugo TT2 and Aqua La Voce V3. I listened them all with KGSSHV+007.

This was not a perfect testing as I only had about 1 hour or less with each. The one that impressed me more was the Yggy A1.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 11:04 AM, Spychedelic Whale said:

I have been in a frenzy recently listening to the "new" bestest dacs to upgrade Spring 2/RME.

I heard the Denafrips Terminator I, Yggy A1, Hugo TT2 and Aqua La Voce V3. I listened them all with KGSSHV+007.

This was not a perfect testing as I only had about 1 hour or less with each. The one that impressed me more was the Yggy A1.

Why did it impress you, what made it outstanding?

For what it's worth I found this multipart interview interesting. It's Chord-centric, but could apply to other FPGA implementations, including PS Audios. It’s also a comparison across DAC types. I don't know enough to determine the accuracy of the comments. 

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Torpedo said:

Why did it impress you, what made it outstanding?

It was mostly the micro details, micro dynamics,coherance with busy passages and tone. I remember specially on the track James Blake - The Willhelm Scream, to be really surprised by the way it rendered all those small details popping, the separation, depth and keeping track of everything so well.

With the terminator really didn't get the hype, though it was too soft without the same lvl of microdynamics and digging low level detail as the Yggy.  The second best was the La voce, really really open soundstage but felt less detailed, still very enjoyable.

Edited by Spychedelic Whale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2021 at 8:52 AM, jp11801 said:

I am absolutely blow away by the Matrix Mini pro 3. For $1000 or under you get a streamer (Roon, airplay), decent DAC and HPA. 

I currently have the Sonnet Morpheus and when I subbed in the Matrix, yes there was a different presentation IE the Matrix maybe having greater perceived detail and the Sonnet being more layered. It sounds like the Sonnet is deeper back to front and the Matrix is wider side to side. 

All in all if you blind compared them I am not sure you’d say one smoked the other. 

Used there are going for $750 or below if you get a chance try one. I would suggest using the LAN or I2S with the matrix x-spdif as the preferred way to feed it a signal.

Anyone else out there try these? I’ve used the HE1000se, Grado old school sr125, HP1000 and some JH IEMs and in all cases the sound is pretty pretty good. 

Where did you pick up the mini pro 3 from?

On 8/15/2021 at 11:52 AM, jp11801 said:

I am absolutely blow away by the Matrix Mini pro 3. For $1000 or under you get a streamer (Roon, airplay), decent DAC and HPA. 

I currently have the Sonnet Morpheus and when I subbed in the Matrix, yes there was a different presentation IE the Matrix maybe having greater perceived detail and the Sonnet being more layered. It sounds like the Sonnet is deeper back to front and the Matrix is wider side to side. 

All in all if you blind compared them I am not sure you’d say one smoked the other. 

Used there are going for $750 or below if you get a chance try one. I would suggest using the LAN or I2S with the matrix x-spdif as the preferred way to feed it a signal.

Anyone else out there try these? I’ve used the HE1000se, Grado old school sr125, HP1000 and some JH IEMs and in all cases the sound is pretty pretty good. 

This is exactly what I need right now. Minimal as you can get. Haven't sold anything yet and I'm already looking into getting that thing. Geez...

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2021 at 12:43 AM, gepardcv said:

Doing anything else with digital media is nervosa. Streamers? Roon? Pi2AES? FFS.

I love Roon.  I don't dig too deep into the possible "improvements", but as a front end for browsing music it's top notch.  Makes the whole experience more satisfying for me.

I could easily watch locally stored movies on my computer by browsing the file structure and playing them through VLC, too, but I like Plex.  I also make my own bed every day and set the table even when I'm eating by myself.  These sorts of little things are not to be disregarded.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sbelyo said:

I think I'm going with the Pontus II.  Has anyone had a chance to compare it to other R2R dacs in that price range?  I really want the terminator but $4400 is a chunk.  I wonder for that extra $2800 if I'd hear the difference.

If you haven't seen, as of this morning the Schiit Yggdrasil now comes in three different flavors. The FAQ has links to three different sets of listening impressions.

The OG is the one I know I didn't like but that was the earlier version so that's still a consideration I guess.  I think it comes down to these two:

Yggdrasil Less is More. Even better performance for lower cost. The most affordable Yggdrasil uses four TI DAC8812 16-bit D/A converters. Many think this is the best sounding flavor, hence less bits, more better…less is more.

Yggdrasil More is Less. The best-measuring integrated multibit DAC, ever. This Yggy uses four TI DAC11001 20-bit D/A converters. If you’re one who thinks multibit DACs can’t measure well, this one’s for you—approaching -120dB THD+N. 

Based on a few reviews it sounds like the Less is More could be what I'm looking for.  Plus it's got a trial period.  Anybody have one in their system now?

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, shellylh said:

I’m very tempted to get this used Lumin T2 to replace the muted Brooklyn + Dac.  Has anyone use the Music Room before? Good price? 

https://tmraudio.com/components/music-servers-streamers/lumin-t2-network-streamer-t-2-black-roon-ready-spotify-connect/

I've consigned and sold with them before but not bought. They do offer great customer support in my experience!