The State of DACSES

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, RudeWolf said:

I liked Denfrips Ares and Terminator. Soekris dac1541 at your price range might work as well.

I believe the Soekris dac1541 is discontinued now and has been replaced by the dac2541.  

3 hours ago, sbelyo said:

I'm looking to buy a R2R DAC that's commercially produced.  I've been looking at the Denafrips Pontus and want to stay in that price range.  Are there any others worth looking at?

I have the Denafrips Venus II and it's an amazing dac.

going off the deep end.... for USB strictly I am quite torn right now between Yggy Analog 2 with Unison or Denafrips Pontus II. Leaning Yggy. Just feels like Schiit has tried to solve USB the most. 

I had listened to the Yggy about three years ago at can jam nyc and didn't like the sound compared to my BIII at the time.  I've since built a BIII Pro 9028 and an all Salas power supply.  This was a huge improvement to the original BIII.  Has the Yggy gone through improvements since then?

Yggy absolutely must be used from the BAL connection, the SE is "just there" as a crutch. Supposedly the analog board upgrade made the sound less warm and more precise.

My experience with a 9018 Buffalo is that it needed a ton of tweaking to sound right. The FIFO board basically was what made it listenable.

Edited by RudeWolf

6 hours ago, RudeWolf said:

Yggy absolutely must be used from the BAL connection, the SE is "just there" as a crutch. Supposedly the analog board upgrade made the sound less warm and more precise.

My experience with a 9018 Buffalo is that it needed a ton of tweaking to sound right. The FIFO board basically was what made it listenable.

Definitely agree on the need tweaking part.  I'm getting ready to build my third one with a separate PSU for the AVCC along with DimDim's isolator board and TFT display

• 2 months later...

Anyone heard the Chord Qutest (or I guess the Hugo 2 as DAC) and comment on SQ? Model name aside, I've been a bit fixated on it and need a smallish DAC and well, I'm a simple guy. Heard the Hugo 1 pandemics ago, but not with any associated gear I have. Reviews seem to contradict themselves, though seems engaging and a lot of detail. Would probably pair with the Peak/Volcano. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the last three hours I've found out Eastern Electric is out of business, Resonessence Labs is out of business, Lavry ceased making dacs, and Macs stopped including toslink outs. When does the madness end? ;)

Edited by blessingx
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, ktm said:

Given the large number of DAC and headphone  companies out there,

a lot more are going to go under. All covid did was speed up the process.

Completely agree. Over on diyaudio, Søren Kristensen (Soekris) said that lead time for the Spartan FPGA he uses in his DACs is up to 53 weeks. Every small business that relies on semiconductors is going to be struggling right now, which just adds to price pressure from the market being flooded by an explosion of inexpensive mass-manufactured gear.

Edited by Beefy

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 1:44 AM, blessingx said:

Anyone heard the Chord Qutest (or I guess the Hugo 2 as DAC) and comment on SQ? Model name aside, I've been a bit fixated on it and need a smallish DAC and well, I'm a simple guy. Heard the Hugo 1 pandemics ago, but not with any associated gear I have. Reviews seem to contradict themselves, though seems engaging and a lot of detail. Would probably pair with the Peak/Volcano. 

I had the hugo 2 for almost 2 years paired to an audeze LCD-4z and later with the Stax sr-007 mk2 that replaced them. Very very detailed DAC but I found it just a tad “cold” and clinical. 

i found the hugo TT2 (and even the mojo) to sound a little bit warmer and more musical. 

but we are really talking about slight differences (to me anyway). 

• Like 1