Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

It's going to be a hard choice on which phone to get next, seeing as the iPhone might come to Verizon in Jan.

Indeed. I'm going to at least go check out the Droid X in a couple of weeks and see how big it feels in hand. I have the otterbox on my 3G and if published info for the X is correct it'll be essentially the same size. A bit narrower than the case (1/4"), a bit longer than the case (1/8") and considerably thinner. But it'll also be almost all effing screen, which could be epic.

I'm gonna grab a clear spot 4g+ if the hockey rink doesn't have wifi.

FYI, signal strength and download speeds have been wildly variable for the 4G. It can vary from 1GB/S to 5GB/S and signal strength meter from 2/10 to 10/10 from hour to hour, and from a change in position even several inches or a few feet.

Test it well in your intended locations during the trial period. I found their coverage map to be pretty accurate so far. And I should say that the penalty for canceling early is only $40 (maybe in Chicago area only), so it's not bad at all.

in all seriousness, the 10-24 is variable aperture, right? i don't like variable aperture. i'd probably rather pay less and have f/2.8 through the whole range.

Plus in just about every test I've seen, the Tokina rates out better. Only the new Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 scores equal, if not higher than the 11-16. Speed and filter use versus ultimate width is what that decision comes down to. They are the two best (for Nikon anyway) sub-frame ultrawides out there right now. Toss in the Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 at the low end, and you've got the only three DX ultrawides I'd really consider.

Hrmm, looks like the extra few mm might actually be useful, thanks Nate. On a side note, were those shots hand-held? That almost looks like the photographer's shadow which would seem to logically skew the results....

full frame?

My camera does only DX unfortunately.

Hrmm I think I might have to pick up either that Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 8-16, could definitely use an ultra-wide to better shoot landscapes, among other things. How noticeable is a 3mm difference?

It's big. We're talking 12mm FX equiv. versus 16.5mm. Be forewarned that the wide end of the Sigma, being as wide as it is, can produce some really funky stretching of items near the corners of the frame. It can be challenging to find compositions to suit such a wide angle of view. With its' faster aperture and filter use, the Tokina is probably the more versatile lens, in terms of the different styles of image it can produce (night, indoor, and ND-filter driven long exposures). But there are of course times where you want the widest view possible.

So I ended up with both a fast ultrawide (Tokina 20-35 f/2.8 ) and a really wide one (Sigma 12-24). But I am a bit of a wide-angle junkie, so I guess it fits!