Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Just ordered ATT U-verse, which only recently became available without requiring TV. 12MBs down/3MBs up, install is Fri. Apparently with this speed it's fiber optic all the way to the house! Unfortunately, it means a service visit; figured it was worth it for future proofing. A big upgrade from my 1.5MBs DSL, can't wait!

2 tires. I'd driven to gaithersburg for my daughter's soccer lesson, and my tire got damaged. So I had to scramble to find tires that fit. Luckily costco had some in stock, because everyone else was $75+ more per tire. They didn't have appointments available, but made room for me because I was stranded.

Pre-ordered Xbox 360 with Kinect package. Our first gaming system since the original Playstation. Should be a nice Christmas ... but will have to establish some rules for our 5 year olds...

Not to be a downer but I hope the new 360s are much more reliable than the old ones. I'm on my 4th one since 2006 and my last one has been repaired 4 times. If I get to meet Bill Gates in the future, the first thing I'm telling him after I shake hands with him is that his XBOX 360s (at least the old ones) are fucking turds. I definitely suggest buying the Microsoft extended warranty.

BTW, just picked up an Apple TV last night....it's almost worth it just for the Netflix interface :)

Not to be a downer but I hope the new 360s are much more reliable than the old ones. I'm on my 4th one since 2006 and my last one has been repaired 4 times. If I get to meet Bill Gates in the future, the first thing I'm telling him after I shake hands with him is that his XBOX 360s (at least the old ones) are fucking turds. I definitely suggest buying the Microsoft extended warranty.

BTW, just picked up an Apple TV last night....it's almost worth it just for the Netflix interface :)

I own an original xbox 360 elite (released in 2007, IIRC) that has not had a single issue so far....knock on wood.

I own an original xbox 360 elite that has not had a single issue so far....knock on wood.

Thanks for the tips!

We'll be waiting for "collateral damage" pics.

Heh. I've heard about that for Wii. Hopefully, less of that due to not actually needing to hold anything in your hand. Maybe a heart attack, if anything ...

I own an original xbox 360 elite (released in 2007, IIRC) that has not had a single issue so far....knock on wood.

Similar story. I bought one late 2006 and it hasn't skipped a beat - it even survived shipping over to Canada in a suitcase. Luck of the draw, I guess.

nice rack

Indeed!

nicerack.jpg

Do you use a cooling fan with yours? I was shocked at how much heat the XB360 pumps out, and doing so without tubes no less. Using either a fan specifically designed for the Xbox or just about any portable fan pointed at the vents seems to help.

Bought two "Front Of The Line" tickets to the Universal Studios Halloween night. Hopefully I wont meet any zombies there.

Edited by Augsburger

Do you use a cooling fan with yours? I was shocked at how much heat the XB360 pumps out, and doing so without tubes no less. Using either a fan specifically designed for the Xbox or just about any portable fan pointed at the vents seems to help.

I had a fan on my first and second 360s and that didn't prevent them from crapping out (it did help out the heat issue though).

The first time I had my current 360 repaired (by an independent console repair guy and not MS.....I ain't giving them another fucking dime) he "modded" the fan where it now pumps out a shitload more air but is really noisy (my watercooled PC is waaay quieter). It has broken around 3 more times since his first repair and each repair was free under his one-year repair warranty. I was curious what could be going wrong with these things as they break all the time and he told me that the soldering on these things are horrendous and each time I send it in, he has to pretty much fix more and more solder points. Maybe Mikhail works for Microsoft's XBOX division....wasn't there a rumor that someone tracked him down and he now works for Microsoft? :P

Anyway, after the fourth repair, it's been working fine for around 6 mos. straight now so I guess all the shitty solder joints have been fixed.

I hope they've worked out the kinks! If I understand correctly, the current 'slim' version is relatively new - since mid to late June 2010, and had some significant changes.

The latest and greatest slim version with the smaller die and better cooling system should be fine. I'm planning on picking one up eventually....maybe even the Kinect as well!