Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

nice! Do you perhaps have the SACD for the Mendelssohn: Italian & Reformation Symphonies? That one sounded a bit off in places, but it might just be my ears. The other 4 or 5 I tried I could not A/B. This one I was able to. Perhaps I just got lucky :)

Sorry, I don't have the Mendelssohn SACD Hybrid.

I noticed also that the liner notes for all the boxset CDs are the same as those for the SACDs, includind DSD engineer, which pretty much confirms that this they are the same redbook version. I suppose the SACD layer must have something different, unfortunately I don't have a SACD player.

Serious question: Would it be worth it to start experimenting with cocktails anytime in the near future (on my limited budget), or wait until I've more experience with good booze and am a bit a older before going that route?

I was just researching a cocktail recipe and came across some really good advice from Robert Hess about stocking your bar. His suggestion is to start with your favorite cocktail, find the recipe and variants, buy all the ingredients and experiment with that. Then move on to the next and so forth. Pretty soon you will have the perfectly stocked bar and you will also have a pretty good mixing repertoire under your belt. Of course that is not what I did, but then I am Part of Head-case and therefore Hard-core.

Edited by morphsci

I thought you weren't going to get an iphone.

You told me to get one...I listen to you and I get yelled at. I don't listen to you and I get yelled at. :(

I went to the store and played around with the demo they had and figured I'd get it since I liked the touch interface anyways. Looks and feels much better than the touch. The box like construction is starting to look very thinkpad like and is as such starting to grow on me.

I noticed also that the liner notes for all the boxset CDs are the same as those for the SACDs, includind DSD engineer, which pretty much confirms that this they are the same redbook version. I suppose the SACD layer must have something different, unfortunately I don't have a SACD player.
A-ha, so this is post-SACD redbook CD's. I was following the discussion, but thought maybe that this was pre-SACD redbooks.

A-ha, so this is post-SACD redbook CD's. I was following the discussion, but thought maybe that this was pre-SACD redbooks.

yeah, I think deepak was the one that postulated that they were pre-SACD. The SACD layers better in any instance I've compared, and are easy to A/B depending on how fast your player can switch.

Went shopping for cocktail ingredients but forgot my list so I bought some Ciroc vodka for martinis. I am skeptical about the Ciroc but some people around here have been raving about this vodka. I also picked up some Languanitas Pilsner, since I seem to be a pilsner kind of beer guy and I like all the Czech beers I had in Czechoslovakia seemed like a safe bet. Some Agashi Curieaux, Limited Triple, Limited Dubel and a jar of 'tini onions.

Keurig Platinum single cup coffee brewer; I bought it for the bitchin' blue leds. If Odyssey manufactured a coffee brewer, this would be it.

yeah, I think deepak was the one that postulated that they were pre-SACD. The SACD layers better in any instance I've compared, and are easy to A/B depending on how fast your player can switch.

Well the Sound Mirror rep specifically said the redbook layers were new transfers from the master tapes. I believe they are on Facebook so anyone can leave them a message.

i <3 my 514s. moderately cheap, nice cut, doesnt make my ass look big
Reminds me of a girl...worked in Tower...I forget how the conversation came about, but I remember what came next:

Girl: I can't wear anything other than black, it makes my ass look big.

Me: (stares at girl's ass) I can't imagine that.

(long pause)

(Editor's note: she really was fairly petite, I wasn't just flattering her...but not having seen her in anything other than black jeans...who knows? But I honestly suspect she was wrong, and that she had one of those typical low self-esteem self-image issues.)

Yes, she really didn't mind. Too bad I was married at the time, it was a fine ass. She liked what she called "glam metal": Poison, Cinderella, etc. (hair metal, basically). Don't remember her name, but remember her taste in music...go figure. Oh, and that she was one of those pale-skinned brunettes. And half my age. Just as well...

I just did a waveform comparison between the redbook layer of the SACD and the redbook-only Brahms Piano Concerto No.1 and they're the same thing.

Sorry, I don't have the Mendelssohn SACD Hybrid.

Frick. I should've pulled the trigger while they were on sale. :(

They're back up to $150 now.

Went to the Sams Quik Stop by Duke University to grab some beverages for a get together on Saturday. Picked up weyerbacher imperial pumpkin, fifteen imperial, stone vertical epic, oaked arrogant bastard, rogue imperial russian, tokyo star, new holland dragons milk, ichabod, dogfish head punkin, cottonwood pumpkin, and a couple of other six packs of various things. Also ingredients for pumpkin pie.

You would not like the 5 guys in my office then. I don't like them either they wash neither themselves nor their clothes. :( I really wish they would though.

The audience towards the end of a three week math graduate student conference in Europe in the middle of summer is a very ripe environment.