Watches

Dusty Chalk

I know nothing about that price range. Rolex would be the de facto goto brand, I would think, but I would also look at Breitling (I've only ever seen one I like, though, myself), and Omega. Me, myself, personally, if I had that kind of money, I would probably get an Omega or a Zenith.

My recommendation to her would be to go to a high-end watch store (and be steadfast about saying "no" on the initial visit), and just start looking. I have found the line, "I'm just looking -- I've only just begun my search...so I'm just to here to get some initial ideas..." is a nice salesperson turn-off-er, without them kicking you out of the store and still helping you. I know of one in Towson MD, but don't know what the good ones are in NY. Do you have a Tourneau there?

Oh man, reading the post I just made, I just spewed whatever came to mind. Started with Zenith, ended with a shout out to Blancpain. hah

I'm also a really big fan of the Grand Seiko's and Seiko Spring Drives. The Spacewalk is my dream watch.

There's also Ulysse Nardin, though the only one I like is the Freak Phantom.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So my mom mentioned that she keeps breaking her watches, but I happen to know that most of her watches are on the cheap side. I know something like the Nixon 51-30 would be sufficiently indestructible for her, but probably way too heavy. Anyone know of a high quality, large faced, yet lightweight, analog watch? Doesn't have to be "Dusty-approved low-contrast", in fact quite the opposite, traditional black on white would be good. Also doesn't have to be a "lady's" watch. I'm thinking ceramic, but that's getting outside of what I can afford (she won't want me to have spent too much on her, she threw a cow when I got her a $100 Philips microstereo).

I kind of want one.

So my mom mentioned that she keeps breaking her watches, but I happen to know that most of her watches are on the cheap side. I know something like the Nixon 51-30 would be sufficiently indestructible for her, but probably way too heavy. Anyone know of a high quality, large faced, yet lightweight, analog watch? Doesn't have to be "Dusty-approved low-contrast", in fact quite the opposite, traditional black on white would be good. Also doesn't have to be a "lady's" watch. I'm thinking ceramic, but that's getting outside of what I can afford (she won't want me to have spent too much on her, she threw a cow when I got her a $100 Philips microstereo).

One of less quirky/weird Hamilton watches? I've got couple of Hamilton Khakis (Field and Field Officer, IIRC) and they've gone through a lot without any issues. They're not that heavy (at least for me), and I suspect quartz movement ones will be lighter than mine, which are hand winding models. They're not exactly cheap, though.

Ok watch folks, my dad has tasked me with finding him a new digital watch. His want-list goes like this, "You know, not a $5 Timex". Otherwise I've been given nothing. I've added that it should be something that wouldn't look completely awkward on a 60+ year old guy which precludes a lot of the available affordable ($100ish) options so I'm looking for help.