Watches

Dusty Chalk

Just about any reputable watch dealer will either have a guy, or a guy they can send it to. Be aware that prices can range hugely -- I looked around to take my wife's 60's Omega in for service (it also loses time badly), and one place quoted $100 while another said $1000 minimum, but probably more.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please recommend a decent watch winder that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and doesn't become too noisy over time after initially running silent?  I'd prefer one that can do two watches.

I returned a $49 Versa two watch winder to Amazon that was silent at first but became noisy after 7-10 days.  I replaced it with an $69 Accuratic expandable watch winder which was also silent when operating at first.  Tonight it too started making noises while turning the watch, after just one week operating silently at 900 TPD (setting 2 out of 5, as setting 1 was letting the watch run slow).  If this had worked well I was going to expand it to wind 2 or more watches.  Am I just having bad luck, getting 2 lemons of models that have higher than avg ratings on Amazon than several others, or are they all pretty much crap?  

PS:  When I was here looking for recommendations for a watch for my brother's birthday last Friday, I ended up buying him this Citizen (no winder needed).

post-905-0-47603700-1355208204_thumb.jpg

Can someone please recommend a decent watch winder that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and doesn't become too noisy over time after initially running silent?  I'd prefer one that can do two watches.

I returned a $49 Versa two watch winder to Amazon that was silent at first but became noisy after 7-10 days.  I replaced it with an $69 Accuratic expandable watch winder which was also silent when operating at first.  Tonight it too started making noises while turning the watch, after just one week operating silently at 900 TPD (setting 2 out of 5, as setting 1 was letting the watch run slow).  If this had worked well I was going to expand it to wind 2 or more watches.  Am I just having bad luck, getting 2 lemons of models that have higher than avg ratings on Amazon than several others, or are they all pretty much crap?  

PS:  When I was here looking for recommendations for a watch for my brother's birthday last Friday, I ended up buying him this Citizen (no winder needed).

I'll warn you ahead of time there's been a lot of issues with the bands on that model.  Not lasting very long.  I will probably pick up that very one pretty soon.  Now is not a good time to buy watches.  There are better deals after Christmas.

I'll warn you ahead of time there's been a lot of issues with the bands on that model.  Not lasting very long.  I will probably pick up that very one pretty soon.  Now is not a good time to buy watches.  There are better deals after Christmas.

I forgot to mention, I also sent him this Zulu 4-ring watch band - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046X06TM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I'm waiting till after Xmas to buy myself a watch, but this one I've been eyeing for 8 weeks and the price hasn't changed, while a few others went down 10% 2 weeks ago and then went back up last week.

post-905-0-90128400-1355210615_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You really shouldn't skimp on watch winders -- all the cheap ones end up magnetizing your watches.  You really should stick with Orbita or...and I forget the name of the other big brand, Wolf?

Or just wear it at least once every 28 days for a full day.

You really shouldn't skimp on watch winders -- all the cheap ones end up magnetizing your watches.  You really should stick with Orbita or...and I forget the name of the other big brand, Wolf?

Or just wear it at least once every 28 days for a full day.

I was looking at the Wolf winders for $150-200 for a single ($350 for a double), which is pretty steep as far as I'm concerned.  I wasn't aware that the cheaper models could magnetize the watch.  The $69 Accuratic I have now uses a Japanese Mabuchi motor, which is supposed to be good or something?

It's got nothing to do with the motor -- it has to emulate human wrist movement, how good does it need to be? -- but rather the proximity to the watch and lack of shielding.

I think.  Feel free to obtain second opinions.

Okay, I'm buying a Wolf Designs Module 2.5 with cover.  I've filled out the return form to send this one back to Amazon. Thanks.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict