Watches

Dusty Chalk

Seiko makes a decent watch. If you like the way it looks, and the price is right, I'm not sure what input you'd need from others about getting it. It's like buying a honda.

Wanted to know if they were reliable, accurate or well thought of, and which of the two might be better. I bought a couple of discounted Invicta watches for their looks, and I'm not impressed with their accuracy. I gave one to my brother as a gift and the bezel came off. Invicta wanted to $60 with postage to replace it. So I bought him another one for $59.

But this time I'd like to get him something nicer in the $100-200 range for his birthday next month.

I honestly use a watch as jewelry, so I don't care about accuracy, and buy invictas, androids, and the like.

Think of it as vw vs honda. Invicta is VW, and Seiko is Honda. I prefer VW and Invicta, because I know it's a cheap watch, so just want it to serve the purpose of amusing me. I see the value of honda tho, and so seiko is a fine choice. I recommend seiko 5s all the time. I think generally speaking the difference between a $50 watch and a $200 watch tho is going to either be style, or swiss bragging rights tho.

My daily watch is a 6 year old Casio with analog dial and SS band (with small digital sub-display). I like that it keeps time so well that I only need to adjust it by a minute or so every 6 months when I change it for daylight savings.

I still have two Invictas, and I will wear one occasionally like jewelry for special occasions, but when I go to grab it I find that the time is always wrong, enough that I'm not sure if it's slow or fast. The other Invicta that I didn't like as much and hardly ever wore just had the battery die in less than a year. Meanwhile my Casio is on the same battery it came with in 2006.

I think that I like a watch to be a timepiece first and style second. I really miss my grandpa's Rolex, because it was both. However, my brother is mostly into the style and jewelry aspect of it, or the swiss bragging rights. But I could just get a new battery for the like-new dead-battery watch and send him that one. Maybe the Seiko would be better for me.

I still own two Seiko watches that I've had for years. One is a mariner that I don't know the model number (silver w/gold inlay in band, and Blue bezel. Paid about $400.00 in about '87, the other, a Seiko Lassale. A Gold toned dress watch from about the same time period. Super thin and about $600.00 IIRC. They both still work perfectly, but I rarely wear a watch anymore.