Post what you're watching

deepak

Now on to either The Wire or Six Feet Under. Haven't decided which will be first.

If it matters one of those shows is so much better than the other. Will leave you with this great comment I keep thinking of...

"In a way, it doesn’t make sense to talk of “The Wire” as the best American television show because it’s not very American. The characters in American popular culture are rarely shown to be subject to forces completely beyond their control. American culture is fundamentally Romantic, individualistic and Christian; when it’s not exhorting you to “follow your dream” it’s reassuring us that in the eleventh hour, we will be saved. American culture is a perpetual pep talk, trafficking in tales of personal redemption and the ultimate triumph of good over evil. We don’t do doom. “The Wire” is not Romantic but classical; what matters most in its universe is fulfilling your duty and facing the inexorable with dignity.

I can’t argue that the classical view is superior to the Romantic one; to even introduce the idea that art is meant to nudge us toward moral improvement and social awareness is to concede to Romantic hope. But for some people, in some places, the classical view is more true, and in such cases, the artist’s duty is to show us that these lives are no smaller for that. And it is — as we always, always seem to forget — not depressing but strangely exhilarating to see this truth about humanity acknowledged for once. It may not be the only truth, but it’s a truth all the same."

http://www.salon.com/2007/09/15/best_show/

You Romantic. Give it time. Six Feet Under is already fading from cultural reference and The Wire is gaining stature. I guess the real question is which would play better after the other (for Wayne's watching), though we probably disagree there too.

Edited by blessingx

You're right, Six Feet Under is so much better that it's not even funny.  The Wire insists upon itself, and every character is just so loathsome.  I kept hoping a nuclear detonation would end each episode, but it never happened.  

And yet you kept watching all of the seasons for some reason? 

As much as I love String I found the first episode of Luther quite awful and never followed up. Stereotypical angry cop with the wife leaving him, and that villain girl was ridiculous. The episode started out interesting and very quickly became stupid.

Sooooo should I keep watching?

BTW Al and whoever else pushed me were correct on The Killing. I was really bored at first but all the build up in the first season led to a really engaging second season. I loved the development of our two leads.

Continuing my unemployed until August 1st pattern of watching craploads of Netflix after studying for the CPA exam in the mornings, I've been watching Sons of Anarchy Season 1. A friend of mine describes this show to me as big dumb fun, and that's pretty accurate. Fine art it ain't but its entertaining and I do care about some of the characters.

Edited by postjack

Initial response:  yes, at least for a couple more episodes.  Don't read the rest of this, unless you need further convincing.  It's best to go in cold, and not know what you're getting into.  I love being surprised and Luther did not disappoint.

There's nothing stereotypical about Luther -- what I like so much about him is that he's not a good cop, he's not entirely clean.  I mean, you see him really cross a line right there at the beginning, but you don't realize what an important moment that is until it haunts him pretty much for the rest of the show.  And best of all, he knows it, so there's all sorts of turmoil that manifests in multiple ways.  And it festers, so it's not just perpetual doom and gloom and woe is me, there's some definite character...uh...growth isn't the right word, as it's not all for the better.  It's a thinking person's show, it's not just typical Hollywood happy endings every 43 minutes.

Remains to be seen if it (the depth of the show) persists in season 03.

I got nothing for your problem with Alice.  She's a delight.  She makes psychopathy look good.  It does get a little ridiculous, but not until much later in season 01.

Oh and don't get me started with the wife.  That particular story arc was superbly done.

Initial response:  yes, at least for a couple more episodes.  Don't read the rest of this, unless you need further convincing.  It's best to go in cold, and not know what you're getting into.  I love being surprised and Luther did not disappoint.

Stopping here, will proceed for at least a few more episodes. Will report back if I get into it.

Hit & Miss -- wow, who would ha' thought that a show about a cold-blooded tranny contract killer played non-comedically could tug at the heartstrings like that.

Okay, I did laugh at the prosthetic penis.  But I think I'd laugh at any flaccid penis.

Which probably wouldn't get me laid a lot if I was gay.