Post what you're watching

deepak

i finally got around to watching Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. Solid State Society the other day, which made me want to rewatch both seasons of the regular series, which i'm doing now. unfortunately, just like the Cowboy Bebop DVDs, the actual video quality on these isn't that great (though better than the Cowboy Bebop discs, for sure).

Ghost in the Shell is fucking great!

btw, just so nobody misunderstands, i'm not an "anime fan," i'm a fan of good tv shows and movies, some of which happen to be anime. it's the message, not the medium.
BTW, just so that no-one misunderstands, there's nothing wrong with being a fan of anime. I, too, am a fan of tv shows and movies, some of which happen to be anime, and I agree that there are some bad ones, too. (What was that elf-hunter one we watched one episode of? That sucked.) But I am acknowledgedly an anime fan, as there are quite a few good ones.

If you want to see violence at its absolute finest, watch Elfen Lied. I think like 26 people die before the opening credits of the first episode roll. I don't mean "die by gunshot", I mean, some of them explode in great big red clouds of gelatinous blood, IIRC.

I know it sounds psychotic, but it's not -- there's something about gratuitous violence that makes me giggle like a little girl.

Finally finished season 5 of Buffy, on to season 6. I'm very surprised how good season 5 was and the ending of it and beginning of season 6 was fantastic.

Dang man, I'm still working my way through Season 2. Just watched "Passion" last night, which while a great episode was also very painful. Bring back my Jenny!

I think I'm watching at a pretty slow pace up until season 5. I think rewatching seasons 1-4 (which I saw in HS) was a bit of a drag, fun to watch, but nothing new as I remembered most of the story. Season 5, about half way through, became new to me, so I would stay up later to watch an extra episode or so... which is taking a toll on me. I watched like, 4 1/2 episodes last night... ended up sleeping at 4 am... (I get up at 7 to go to work) I'm dumb tired...

Okay, perhaps a bit embarrassing to admit I'm behind the times and have never seen any of the shows mentioned in this thread. But, let's say I wanted to check one or two out, what, based on what you guys already know or guess about me, would be a good series to start with (just realized this is like a head-fi noob question)? Can you rent these?

Okay, perhaps a bit embarrassing to admit I'm behind the times and have never seen any of the shows mentioned in this thread. But, let's say I wanted to check one or two out, what, based on what you guys already know or guess about me, would be a good series to start with (just realized this is like a head-fi noob question)? Can you rent these?

Name a couple of shows you've liked Vicki. I think at one point I suggested something for you and you hadn't liked it, so I'm all like nervous and stuff now. :)

This is going to sound really dumb recommending Battlestar Galactica to a girl but I'll do it anyway. It's a good mix of action, politics, drama, religion and just human survival and interactions. And for the testosterone junkies the action sequences are pretty good.

I recommended everyone watch the season one pilot, it's about two hours. If you really get into it you'll probably like the rest of the show. If you don't, there is a good chance you won't like the show. That's been my experience recommending it to friends.

My best friend's mom (music teacher) is hooked on it after my friend bought the DVDs. The less you know about the show going into it the better. There are spoilers all over the net.

Here is the tv.com summary which doesn't give much away.

The Best Show on Television in 2005? Yes, according to Time Magazine, Rolling Stone and New York Newsday. Praised by The New York Times, The National Review, The New Yorker, The San Francisco Chronicle, The Chicago Tribune and many other publications, Battlestar Galactica won a prestigious Peabody Award in the spring of 2006.

Ronald D. Moore, the producer of Carnivale and writer for Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, boldly re-imagined the original 1978 space opera of humans versus the robotic Cylons. He teamed up with co-executive producer David Eick on a powerful and dramatic update of the Galactica story.

Gone are the technobabble, disco outfits and Egyptian helmets of the original series. The modern show introduces new elements to the Galactica story. The Cylons have developed human-form models that are indistinguishable from real humans. The Cylons have a monotheistic religion in contrast to the polytheistic religion of the human Colonies.

In the miniseries, the Cylons launch a massive attack against the humans and wipe out the Twelve Colonies, sending the 47,000 survivors on a desperate search for the fabled 13th colony--Earth.

Most of the crap on TV is just crap. But BSG and Lost are my crack in television form

Or netflix, yes.

The Battlestar Galactica pilot miniseries is a good way to determine whether or not you're interested enough in the show to pursue watching it further.

I bet you'd like Sports Night -- it actually has very little to do with sports, and is more of an ensemble cast type thing about behind the scenes of the fictitious number three network sports show. There's wonderful interplay between people, in various states of mental duress (love, life, sickness, both mental and physical, and all that).

Other than that, yeah, you'd have to tell us more about the sorts of shows and movies you've liked, and perhaps why you've liked them.

Do you like any of the CSI shows? How about Law & Order? Uh...please tell me you're not a Disparate Housewives or Sex in the City kind of gal.