Fuck in snow

Salt Peanuts

We actually didn't get hit hard from round one (more to come). But, school NOT closed in our town. Oddly, running down the highway from us, 3 towns closed, then 3 not, then 2 more closed.....

With more snow expected, a little worried about a messy pickup for the kids, I guess they feel they have a jump on it.

You said it Steve....and I'm a bit pissed now, too. Our town's roads are just so-so, with the (long-predicted) snow for today adding up quickly. It made getting my son to school and back a slow, sometimes dangerous affair. I saw some sliding, and at two different major intersections, backed up traffic had cars sitting in the middle as lights changed. Also, at the school itslef, the sidewalks and pathways were building up quickly as well.

We were almost nailed last year with snow days slipping into spring/summer activities, so I sometimes understand the hesitancy to cancel; but I think our superintendent made a mistake on this one. I imagine he'll be getting some irate calls......

Apparently the folks in our town did call and complain. The superintendent sent out an email regarding the weather. He was well-spoken and defended his position articulately, and backed it up with statistics of buses that made it and only one minor accident (not involving a bus) with no injurues.

That said, he wasn't there this morning, and now when I just went and picked up my son. Those people walking past the buses that line up in front of the building were going through much more snow & slush than the kids getting on a bus, crossing streets narrowed by snow on the sides and parked cars blocking the view of cars driving in the road.

On top of that, there were many slips (and one minor fender bumper 2 cars in front me me) on the road. Our middle school is on a hill, and some people stopped at the light had a pretty tough time starting up the hill when the light turned green.

I'm glad they got the school day in, but the potential for some injuries, especially to the kids, was there. The DPW supposedly reassured the superintendent that things would be clear for the schools getting out, but it just didn't look like it to me.....

Rant off....maybe I'll cut and paste this as a reply to his letter......

Edited by skullguise

^ Sorry to hear that, Nate. I just got home to find my driveway had already been shoveled - it was a really nice surprise. Apparently, my wife managed to shovel while Libby happily played in the snow. Nothing beats on day like this not needing to shovel after work.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

skull_smiley_1.gif is right, the real danger is always other drivers. I live in an area with ~40,000 college students, many of whom haven't driven in snow ever before. I was supposed to work tonight, but I call the promoter and said no wai. He couldn't complain much, as I just agreed to do his sister's wedding reception. Of course, now I'm tasked with either going to get groceries or being very creative in constructing tonight's dinner, so it might be a wash anyway.

• 2 months later...

Depends on how you judge it.

For a dirt motorcyclist/camper, it goes from July 15th when they officially open the forest service roads, until first snow fall which is between Sept 15 and Oct 15 usually.

Two to three months.

But we've had at least a month more spring this year.

If you're asking, "How long is winter and the shitty muddy part of spring before things turn green?" That's usually mid-Oct til mid-may. So, five months of non-winter/shit.

OTOH, it keeps the posers away. You either love nature like life itself, or you don't live here.

Edited by Tyll Hertsens